PDA

View Full Version : VB Gripes

onlyonelife
31st May 2006, 03:35
Well its my first post and while I hate to be negative I just have to mention a few issues that really get under my nose when traveling with virgin blue. I am a frequent passenger BTW

(1) How can they call us "GUESTS". Arent we a CLIENT. After all we dont dont travel for free do we. A guest is someone who is say for example invited into ones hospitality such as taking someone home for dinner and feeding them for nothing. When an 'End User' pays for something then he/she is a CLIENT. When offered something for free then he /she is a GUEST

(2) VB always sprout on about the "WONDERFUL SERVICE". Well I would have travelled on VB in excess of a 100 flights. All I see is the Cabin Crew do ONE RUN up and back dispensing food / drinks. Please dont see this as a gripe at the cabin crew. No doubt this is the way they are trained and is in all likelyhood the standard operating procedure. But once they have done the run they sit in the galley having a chinwag with each other. People complain about the old AN & QF oldies but at least they did more than the above. in actual fact I never had complaints about the so called Old Boilers (not fair by the way). They alwasy time permiting wandered around occasionally assiting where required

(3) My biggest GRIPE is when the chief hostie on each flight requests passengers (clients) to re-arrange the contents of the seat back pockets and ensure that the Cabin Safety Card is in front facing outwards. A small thing i know but "JFC" VB should get staff to do these things or better still employ cleaners. Clients pay for a service, we shouldnt have to pay to do things so that Godfrey can make more money

Oh well it wont do much good but hopefully management read this. Do others agree with me?

Capn Bloggs
31st May 2006, 03:59
the chief hostie on each flight requests passengers (clients) to re-arrange the contents of the seat back pockets and ensure that the Cabin Safety Card is in front facing outwards.

You ARE joking...aren't you?

18-Wheeler
31st May 2006, 04:03
I particularly hate 'guest'.
The SLF have always been, and always will be, passengers.

jack red
31st May 2006, 04:51
onlyonelife

You stay in a Hotel, you pay for the accomodation and you are a GUEST.

You have travelled on VB in excess of a 100 flights. and you still compalin about the service, you are a masochist. :rolleyes:

Warped Wings
31st May 2006, 05:02
onlyonelife,
As a pilot with Virgin I can sympathise with you comments because those things annoy me when I pax or am flying staff travel. If you feel strongly enough about these issues, can I suggest you go here
http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInfo/feedback/index.php?for=GR
and record you comments. Pprune is hardly the mechanism to get your message across.
Cheers,
WW

The Bullwinkle
31st May 2006, 06:33
My biggest GRIPE is when the chief hostie on each flight requests passengers (clients) to re-arrange the contents of the seat back pockets and ensure that the Cabin Safety Card is in front facing outwards.

If that's your biggest gripe, then you don't have much to complain about!

They only request that you place the safety card to the front of the pocket. I'm sure they don't hold your first-born to ransom unless you do it!

If this is too difficult for you, or just plain beneath you, then for goodness sake, don't do it. It will be done on the turnaround if you don't want to help.

You sound like the type of person who would deliberately place the card to the back, just because you have been asked to help with this tiny request.

If you have flown with Virgin Blue over 100 times, then you would know that this request will be made, and you could probably find some time during your flight to place the card to the front, hopefully without disturbing your hectic schedule.

Honestly, if this is your biggest gripe, then you really have led a charmed life.

BW

Ultralights
31st May 2006, 07:50
and how much do you pay for the tickets again???:hmm:

TineeTim
31st May 2006, 08:56
You sound like the type of person who would deliberately place the card to the back, just because you have been asked to help with this tiny request.

That's exactly what I'd do. They're your 'guest', remember!!!!!

cunninglinguist
31st May 2006, 14:00
good point ultralights, probably within 20 bucks of a QF ticket and then pay for food, drink and if available, entertainment.

VB = AN - the service.

skyshow
1st Jun 2006, 03:36
I do not fly for Virgin Blue BTW! But...

How can they call us "GUESTS". Arent we a CLIENT. After all we dont dont travel for free do we. A guest is someone who is say for example invited into ones hospitality such as taking someone home for dinner and feeding them for nothing. When an 'End User' pays for something then he/she is a CLIENT. When offered something for free then he /she is a GUEST

Hotels refer to their 'customers' as guests... and they do not give them free accomodation or food!

My biggest GRIPE is when the chief hostie on each flight requests passengers (clients) to re-arrange the contents of the seat back pockets and ensure that the Cabin Safety Card is in front facing outwards. A small thing i know but "JFC" VB should get staff to do these things or better still employ cleaners. Clients pay for a service, we shouldnt have to pay to do things so that Godfrey can make more money

Is it too much to ask passengers to leave the aircraft in a similar state they found it in! Apart from safety cards, the rubbish they hide etc...
Regarding the safety cards in seat pockets... it is obviously to assist with turn around times. I have never heard Virgin Blue say this PA. So I don't agree you've heard them on every flight! Maybe it was for delayed flights so they could do hot turn arounds??? They are low cost of course. Why do you think Ryannair do not have safety cards in seat pockets? They're STUCK on the seat in front of you to assist them with a 25 min turnaround! After all, it is a reuirement that passengers see in first when searching in a seat pocket etc...

Elroy Jettson
1st Jun 2006, 03:53
Gday sky show, if you dont fly VD, that would probably be why you havent heard the PA would it not? :confused:

Probably does help the turn around times, so would making a PA teaching "Guests" how to build a "nest" with the toilet paper, so you dont leave skiddies on the bowl. (Thats assuming they provide wipe paper?)

Any other great "Time saving PAs" out there?

How about handing the dust buster around just prior to TOD?

Or a chux and the spray and wipe? (You could also substitute spray and wipe with any genereric brand to further cut down costs).

"Shake the spew out of the bag, refold it, and place it BEHIND the emergency card which must go in the front! Now, lets see who can sit up the straightest, and they will be the first ones to be let off! Of course this does not apply to wheel chair passengers, you must get your carer to push you off last once our priority able bodied guests have all disembarked first."

Kanga767
1st Jun 2006, 06:52
I bet the whiners here are also the type of people who leave their trollies randomly around a shopping centre car park instead of sparing a thought for other people and stowing them in the bays.

K

Pimp Daddy
1st Jun 2006, 09:15
I bet the whiners here are also the type of people who leave their trollies randomly around a shopping centre car park instead of sparing a thought for other people and stowing them in the bays.
K

I spare a thought for the guys who's job it is to run around the car park collecting them up - a leave them everywhere to keep them in a job.

If we collected them up and put them back how would they feed their families?

Dubya
1st Jun 2006, 09:53
Geez guys.......

I'm glad I read this thread......

Another 2 minutes of my life I won't get back..

Why don't you all take the bus next time..

assymetric
1st Jun 2006, 10:02
Gday sky show, if you dont fly VD, that would probably be why you havent heard the PA would it not?

Elroy you obviously can't read to well. Skyshow said he does not fly for Virgin Blue. Maybe you could also explain who VD is.

As far as the gripes go:

a) Just because you pay for your ticket it does not mean that this automatically gives you the right to board the aircraft. The airline may still refuse you entry for various reasons. This is why you are a guest.

b) As for the "Service". Many flights due to the flight time would not allow for more than one service. You could also try using the bell.

c) And about the Safety card. Yes it would help with a quick turnaround and after all it is only a request. If you don't want to do it or it is beneath you the soloution is simple. Dont do it.

If these are the only problems with VB then they are doing a pretty good job.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

amos2
1st Jun 2006, 10:22
Did a flight with Jetstar the other day. First time for me, having flown with Virgin on previous occasions.

What a difference!!...better than Virgin and no innane PAs to put up with!

Virgin wont see me again!...a dead beat airline for dead beats!!!

Mr.Buzzy
1st Jun 2006, 10:39
[QUOTE]Virgin wont see me again!...QUOTE]

Awesome! Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.........

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

swm
1st Jun 2006, 11:04
A small thing i know but "JFC" VB should get staff to do these things or better still employ cleaners. Clients pay for a service, we shouldnt have to pay to do things so that Godfrey can make more money

They're a BUDGET airline ... no dount the reason you've flown them over 100 times. If the employed cleaners, and threw in a snack and a drink then the airfare wouldn't be so budget compared to the legacy airline.

And honestly, if you're flying a one hour SYDMEL / SYDBNE and viceversa which I suspect with 100 flights you are, how many times do you need to be offered food and beverages, ring the bell.

Elroy Jettson
1st Jun 2006, 11:22
VD wasnt a typo mate, its what you catch when you screw the aviation domestic scene for everybody!!! :E :E :E

Other error noted. Thanks.

Back to the topic, I dont wish to hijack the thread.

Ultralights
1st Jun 2006, 11:37
Why don't you all take the bus next time..

Flying is cheaper these days! im surprised you even get service anymore at all. how much service do you get on a bus???

Dogimed
1st Jun 2006, 12:15
I caught a Jet* flight back from Avalon in 05, and the male hostie watched as I took off my jacket, and then he asked if he could give it to another passenger who was cold...

Talk about trying to explain the perfume on ones jacket innocently...lol

Dog

Centaurus
1st Jun 2006, 13:56
Onlyonelife puts a perfectly reasonable comment on one airline's passenger service policy and everyone puts in the boots into him. If you are unable to articulate an intelligent reply instead of mouthing heavy sarcasm then keep off the computer keys.

Bailey's Dad
2nd Jun 2006, 06:58
"only one life" ....I don't think you have one. You have a choice mate or matess.... so use it. Better still put it in writing to VB and chase it up to the top. Make this your life and dont waste valuable prunne space.

Capt Basil Brush
3rd Jun 2006, 11:16
This joker puts in a windup as his first post, and is surely now sitting back and laughing his guts out at the responses. :D

Cheap entertainment I suppose.

preset
3rd Jun 2006, 12:44
and how much do you pay for the tickets again???:hmm:

Probably the same as QF. If not there's not much difference just check out the websites and before someone comes back about VB's super cheap fares remember these are limited just like on QF. And there is a lot more service on QF !
Just an observation.

ditzyboy
3rd Jun 2006, 13:50
Whilst one could argue the Qantas product is greater than that of Virgin Blue I believe that should not be mistaken for greater levels of service.

As a flight attendant who has offered vastly different levels of service and product I have found a link between the number of compliments from customers regarding good service and how much we have given them for free by way of product. Basically the more amenity offered - the more compliments, always.

It seems a narrow-minded trend to me. I believe service is vastly different from product. Granted some airlines offer more services than others. But I for one would rather experience nice service, by way of friendly greeting and a smile and the feeling I am welcome. Just because I may get an allocated seat or free headphones and mouldy sandwich on a particular carrier doesn't guarantee I am welcome or well looked after. Especially if delivered by rude or indifferent staff.

Tagneah
3rd Jun 2006, 21:38
Jeezus!

It's lucky Joe and Josephine Public aren't as smart as all of you on here otherwise everyone at DJ would be out of a job.

Tag

BurglarsDog
4th Jun 2006, 09:02
Have had the "card request" on both VB and Jet *. Not an issue. In flight nosh could be improved , so take my own! Both provide a similar level of service (?) at similar prices. Mind you 2 vending machines and an audio emergency procedures broadcast would achieve the same result! Im rarely disappointed with a flight as I dont expect too much for the fare paid; and its 4 days quicker than catching a boat across the Tasman. All things being equal, my ar*e would prefer Jet* as the seats feel wider on the "Bus" . Is this the case ?

Swingwing
4th Jun 2006, 09:51
Ditzyboy,
you're right on the money as regards the difference between service and product.
I flew to Cairns and back at the end of last week. The contrast in every respect could not have been greater. On the way up I flew DJ and was in row 30 - at the absolute back of the bus and surrounded by screaming kids - I've obviously offended someone there at Virgin Blue ticketing. Nevertheless, the service was friendly and attentive, even though you had to pay for what they were offering. I suppose I'd have to be honest and say that it didn't hurt that they were all young and cute.....Additionally the CSM (or whatever VB calls them) managed to avoid the smartarse comments and attempts at humour that are too often an unfortunate feature of their PA's.
On the way back I was in J class row 1 with QF. The meal and wine were OK - but they were served by people who obviously had absolutely no interest in being there, or in anything resembling customer service. Not one of the flight attendants looked like they were under 45. Their age wasn't the problem - it's that they acted as though they had lost interest in the job 15 years ago. The attitudes ranged from outright surliness to complete indifference.
Overall, the only superior thing about the QF experience was the seat - and that's only because of the difference in fare class. If I'd been in Y class on both legs, the Virgin experience would have won hands down. As ditzyboy says, it's the service, not the product that makes the difference.
SW

Lord Snot
4th Jun 2006, 10:04
VB = AN - the service.I don't know where you got that idea. Your formula could use a little tweaking:

VB = AN - (the service) - (the jobs) - (the status in the eyes of the public) - (the history) - (the respect garnered) + (the idiocy in the cabins) + (the embittered, whinging drivers from that year)

Did I miss anything?

Hey Amos enjoy your future with Magda Zoobanski, I'm sure you'll be very happy there... until they fail to live up to your expectations. Then it'll be time to switch to the opposition... oops, there's only VB!!!

Are you still flying old man??????

Going Boeing
4th Jun 2006, 21:42
All things being equal, my ar*e would prefer Jet* as the seats feel wider on the "Bus" . Is this the case ?

The wider cross-section of the A320 compared to the B737 allows approx 5cms more hip and shoulder room (width) per seat so yes the J* seats should be more comfortable. I don't know what their seat pitch is though - 177 seats jammed in an A320 doesn't indicate a lot of legroom. GB

BurglarsDog
4th Jun 2006, 23:47
Going Boeing.

Thanks for that snippet. :D Ill take the extra 5 cms any day. Legroom ? When your waist is bigger than your inside leg... who cares. Looks like joining velocity was a wasted effort. Team colours will now be black and yellow; that is until a VB ticket is either cheaper and/ or more expeditious!

DogGone:ok:

BHMvictim
5th Jun 2006, 00:57
- it's that they acted as though they had lost interest in the job 15 years ago. The attitudes ranged from outright surliness to complete indifference.

Perhaps QF aint what it used to be. Constant threats to our jobs, constant uncertainty. Bit difficult to be happy.

cokecropduster
5th Jun 2006, 03:58
Virgin is an airline that is way better than Jetstar in SO many ways but can't compete with QF's product..

Virgin has a seat allocation system that means you don't have to play football before you get a seat. Jetstar doesn't give you a seat allocation.

Virgin has connections... Jetstar doesn't.

Virgin has a lounge with free food and alcohol now... Jetstar NOPE!

Virgin is a buget airline but has a few more things that Jetstar doesn't.

Qf throws food at you and has cleaners but also the higher price.

I think that you are pretty sad if you are upset with semantics, guests or passengers... does it matter?

Conclusion: You pay for what you get. Guys, let's all be friendly to these companies! Kinda the way we all love our banks!

wrxflame
5th Jun 2006, 04:30
SLF here, fly a fair bit with work (not high enough up the chain for Q-Club)and we use both QF & DJ flights. I like both for different reasons but I just love the VB terminals because I get to go back to my wasted youth and play PINBALL for hours for a couple of buck.

All I get is hassles from the AMEX dudes at the QF terminal, the guys in Melbourne are fearless. 8-)

My Fav oinnies: Getaway & Adams Family.

Cheers

Jet_Black_Monaro
5th Jun 2006, 07:07
VB = AN - (the service) - (the jobs) - (the status in the eyes of the public) - (the history) - (the respect garnered) + (the idiocy in the cabins) + (the embittered, whinging drivers from that year)

Did I miss anything?

Yes you did miss something. VB is profitable and Ansett went broke 5 years ago.

:rolleyes:

Wed Webbing Woop
5th Jun 2006, 09:24
Quick ....call the tow truck !!!!!
There is a report that a Monaro has scaped on a 4 barred speed bump and suffered a "gash" between the back wheels in the underbody.
Last seen leaking oil.
Not long to run 'til the engine seizes and we can roll her off to the junk yard.

qcc2
5th Jun 2006, 09:30
however the reality is newscorp sold ansett at a very inflated preminum to airnz, having not bothered with due diligance. and as history has shown airnz did nothing but strip ansett last remaining assets. another reason the former qf cfo and then airnz ceo is still hiding in nz. gary doesn't want to be seen on oz (whatever legal reason he might have):ugh: . however the grapevine tells me he has done some consulting work for SAA transiting on qf planes (i wonder how much GD knows about that) to JNB via SYD. if only some people would know.:E yes i am happy VB is profitable as it stabilises the local industry for a while.:D
www you are funny

cartexchange
5th Jun 2006, 10:52
Yes you did miss something. VB is profitable and Ansett went broke 5 years ago.
:rolleyes:

Is it?

Hmmm you better join the FAAA JBM, you may need them soon!:ok:

THE CONTRACTOR
5th Jun 2006, 11:44
MY GOD! Well I had to put in more words, but all I really wanted to say is MY GOD!

Jet_Black_Monaro
6th Jun 2006, 07:33
And a fat lot of good the FAAA did for the Ansett employees.

:*

theoutback
7th Jun 2006, 00:24
Just one comment on VB. As we all should know and appreciate , one thing you dont play games with is the safety and in particular safety demos. I was recently on a VB where the young groovy dude (cabin manager i think)proceeded with voicing the demo wherein he quipped that if things go wrong wait for the panic and sceaming to stop and then place the life raft over your head before heading for the exit. A few years ago a well documented case suggested that a VB flighty during inflight thought it would be a good idea to play...everyone assume the crash position, heads down and hands on the seat in front. They received a substantial fine. I know its all good fun but

LLL
26th Jun 2006, 02:11
My biggest GRIPE is when the chief hostie on each flight requests passengers (clients) to re-arrange the contents of the seat back pockets and ensure that the Cabin Safety Card is in front facing outwards.

I have flown on VB heaps of times, not quite the hundred a year you do but still and I have never heard this asked of the passengers. I know they ask you give them all rubbish when they do the rubbish run down the isle but I see no problem with this either. It is after all suppose to be a budget airline and I didn't think that service was how many times you are offered food.

Mr Seatback 2
26th Jun 2006, 02:18
"And a fat lot of good the FAAA did for the Ansett employees."

What...you mean apart from help find the hosties job postings at Qatar Airways, Qantas, Gulf Air, and QFLink?

Mind you - trying to find 2,500 new cabin crew positions in this country in one go is no easy task. Perhaps you could do a better job JBM?

fruitloop
26th Jun 2006, 02:53
"then place the life raft over your head before heading for the exit."
Now that would be interesting to see.!!

puff
26th Jun 2006, 10:32
I have flown on VB heaps of times, not quite the hundred a year you do but still and I have never heard this asked of the passengers. I know they ask you give them all rubbish when they do the rubbish run down the isle but I see no problem with this either. It is after all suppose to be a budget airline and I didn't think that service was how many times you are offered food.

On most of might flights with DJ they have made exactly the same PA and I had the same response as the other poster. All I was thinking is what a bunch of lazy buggers trying to get the pax to do their work. Felt like asking if they wanted me to sweep the cabin out on the way out.

footloose
27th Jun 2006, 22:09
I can't believe some people are so sensitive as to be offended by being asked to do such a simple task. Did it delay you? Did it wear you out? As has been said here 100 times already, if it pisses you off so much, don't fly with them.

wirgin blew
30th Jun 2006, 00:26
On most of might flights with DJ they have made exactly the same PA and I had the same response as the other poster. All I was thinking is what a bunch of lazy buggers trying to get the pax to do their work. Felt like asking if they wanted me to sweep the cabin out on the way out.

So puff when you go to you mums house do you leave all your rubbish behind in the seat for your mum to clean next time, do you mush all your chips into the carpet, do you stick your chewy under the couch... Its not about having to clean the mess up its about cleaning up after yourself and respecting the next person who sits in that seat.

Keep Australia beautiful.

:ok:

B A Lert
30th Jun 2006, 01:12
So puff when you go to you mums house do you leave all your rubbish behind in the seat for your mum to clean next time, do you mush all your chips into the carpet, do you stick your chewy under the couch... Its not about having to clean the mess up its about cleaning up after yourself and respecting the next person who sits in that seat.
Keep Australia beautiful.
:ok:

Most people don't leave a mess of any kind, and nearly all respect those who follow them. That said, the ticket that is purchased is about one's carriage from A to B. There's nothing about having to clean the aeroplane before one disembarks. I, and all of my friends and colleagues, find it offensive to be asked to do the work of scheming :mad: flight attendants whose job it is to prepare the aeroplane for the next section. The habit of asking SLF to clean up is something that seems to be the norm on every LCC I've used in Australia, the US and Europe.

sinala1
30th Jun 2006, 03:42
I, and all of my friends and colleagues, find it offensive to be asked to do the work of scheming flight attendants whose job it is to prepare the aeroplane for the next section. The habit of asking SLF to clean up is something that seems to be the norm on every LCC I've used in Australia, the US and Europe.
Scheming/lazy flight attendants??? Thats utter nonsense - all you are being asked to do is put the safety card at the front of the seat pocket. Even if you are a bit s-l-o-w, it will still take approx 5 seconds. We are not asking you to cross your seatbelt, take the rubbish off the aircraft, vacuum the carpet, clean the toilets etc etc - all we want is your rubbish handed to us, and if you feel like being helpful (which, clearly, you don't) putting the safety card to the front. Do you have any idea the mess the aircraft is sometimes left in after a simple one hour mel-syd sector????

Honestly, grow up - if you don't like it, drive - or, fly with the competition - choice is a marvellous thing :ok:

Keg
30th Jun 2006, 05:38
Pay bugger all for the fare, expect to be asked to clean up! :rolleyes:

It may not be good 'service' but it is what a LCC is all about I would have thought.

magoo31
2nd Jul 2006, 07:56
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

When you pay f*ck-all for an airline ticket, the airline cuts costs. No cleaners to clean your aircraft is the least of your worries. Ask VB how many LAME's they have available to actually inspect, maintain and certify your aircraft. I spent 17 years as a LAME at the big red kangaroo and the standards we saw slipping over the years were mind boggling.

It all started when the tight a*rse VB hit our shores (Thanks to little Johnny).

Let me give you an idea, the first big slip was single LAME domestic ops. That means to the uninformed, 1 engineer to turn your aircraft around during a transit, arrive, inspect, rectify, refuel, certify, depart in about 45 mins. Seeing as though there's not enough time to do that, we'll stop fixing things and defer them all for ONS (over night stop). Over the years, the condition of the domestic aircraft was disgusting. Then we'll get the refuellers to refuel the aircraft. This was all steam rolled in by a corrupt manager, an incompetent QF safety manager, who was later sacked/let go/found out, whatever you want to call it, a union with no idea of the ramifications of its lack of action, and a whole sh*t load of lying by QF to the IR commision.

The next step is single LAME transits on international flts. Yes, dodgy practices on overwater flts.

Then the final nail in the (your) coffin is NO LAME transits. Yes, pilots, who do a great job flying the plane, but generally have little or no mechanical aptitude, will be the sole person carrying out your pre-flight inspection. And it's generally the first officer they'll send down to do it.

This is just the impact from an engineering perspective.

But hey, wait till VB start asking the "guests" to "come and see what you think of this" fluid leak/tyre cut/worn brake/fuselage dent/fan blade damage etc.

At this point, I suggest you bend forward in your seat, grab you ankles firmly, pucker up, and kiss your tight arse goodbye.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Chicken Beef or Fish
2nd Jul 2006, 08:32
Great rant.

Grab your ankles and kiss your tight arse goodbye? Are you suggesting that VB carry a plane load full of contortionists?

If you are that worried Magoo, catch the bus.

oldhasbeen
2nd Jul 2006, 11:47
..besides which, if you bend over grab your ankles and pucker up around some of the" boys" in this industry, you ain't gonna have a tight arse for too much longer!!:eek:

ennui
2nd Jul 2006, 12:34
Who has ever had enough seat pitch on a VB flight to reach their ankles?