PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to fly without updating rating renewal with CAA?

John001
30th May 2006, 23:41
Hi all,

just wondering if anyone could shed some light in this:

A chap in our syndicate recently renewed his SEP rating by doing a check flight with a instructor who then signed his license in the appropriate column marking the SEP valid for a further two years.

Unfortunatly he hasn't 'gotten around to' (that's another story! :ugh: :) )filling out the CAA form SRG 1119 class rating renewal application.

As I understand it the signing of his license by the instructor confers full legality on him to continue to exercise the priviledges of his SEP rating.
Hence the question: is it still necessary to inform the CAA!??:confused: :confused:

regards

John.

BEagle
31st May 2006, 06:45
Firstly, the SEP Class Rating cannot be revalidated by a 'check flight with an instructor' - do you mean the 'training flight of at least 1 hour' which must be completed in addition to the 12 hours (6 as PIC etc) in the second 2 year period? Or do you mean a revalidation LPC? Or a renewal LST?

If the pilot needed the 'training flight' to complete his SEP Class Rating 'experience' requirements, then his licence may only be signed by a PPL Examiner, not just an FI. That Examiner must also sign off the applicant's SRG\1119 - so how did he do this if your friend hadn't already completed the form?

The Revalidation LPC and/or Renewal LST can only be conducted by an authorised PPL Examiner; again, the SRG\1119 must be signed off by the Examiner. If a Renewal LST is carried out for a SEP Class Rating which has lapsed by more than 5 years, then only the CAA can sign off the licence.

It doesn't really matter when the SRG\1119 is sent off; however, it must be correctly completed. Personally I won't sign off any licence unless the applicant also produces a correctly completed SRG\1119 AND his medical certificate, together with his personal flying log book. You'd be amazed how many pilots haven't even signed their medical certificates....

At a recent seminar, the CFE reminded Examiners that they have a duty to check the applicant's paperwork - and to advise him of expiry dates of medical, IMC Ratings, JAR-FCL licences etc. I suggest your friend's 'instructor' is reminded of his obligations, assuming that he is indeed a PPL Examiner!

englishal
31st May 2006, 08:10
I actually went the last 2 years without the "form" being sent off to the CAA. When I sent them my logbook / licence for re-issue of IMC rating (via FAA IPC) I did query this, and their reply was that "please ensure the examiner sends us the form as soon as possible". Anyway, I forgot, and couldn't find the examiner again (believe he sells double glazing now) and so didn't bother.

This time around, the examiner and I got it sorted properly. I happened to do my 1 hour with JAA Instructor with an examiner, so he brought the form, we flew the 1 hour, filled out the form, he checked my stuff and I posted the form......

Cheers

John001
31st May 2006, 10:33
Firstly, the SEP Class Rating cannot be revalidated by a 'check flight with an instructor' - do you mean the 'training flight of at least 1 hour' which must be completed in addition to the 12 hours (6 as PIC etc) in the second 2 year period? Or do you mean a revalidation LPC? Or a renewal LST?

If the pilot needed the 'training flight' to complete his SEP Class Rating 'experience' requirements, then his licence may only be signed by a PPL Examiner, not just an FI. That Examiner must also sign off the applicant's SRG\1119 - so how did he do this if your friend hadn't already completed the form?

The Revalidation LPC and/or Renewal LST can only be conducted by an authorised PPL Examiner; again, the SRG\1119 must be signed off by the Examiner. If a Renewal LST is carried out for a SEP Class Rating which has lapsed by more than 5 years, then only the CAA can sign off the licence.

It doesn't really matter when the SRG\1119 is sent off; however, it must be correctly completed. Personally I won't sign off any licence unless the applicant also produces a correctly completed SRG\1119 AND his medical certificate, together with his personal flying log book. You'd be amazed how many pilots haven't even signed their medical certificates....

At a recent seminar, the CFE reminded Examiners that they have a duty to check the applicant's paperwork - and to advise him of expiry dates of medical, IMC Ratings, JAR-FCL licences etc. I suggest your friend's 'instructor' is reminded of his obligations, assuming that he is indeed a PPL Examiner!

BEagle,

thank you for your reply,

firstly apologies; I failed to mention which mechanism he was using to revalidate namely 'revalidation by flying experience' (12 hours flying experience in 12 months prior to expiry, 6hrs PIC, 12 t/o and landings, 'training flight' with FI or FE).

The problem of him doing the training flight but not having the form signed arouse because he did the flight here in Ireland with an IAA FI and so he(the instructor) left it up to my friend to have it signed by an examiner prior to sending it to the CAA.
PS- you don't instruct/examine in north America do you? Only you said the EXACT same thing as my examiner did (quite rightly) regading signing my medical certificate!( must be a very common thing!).

Englishhal: thanks for your input also. I'd imagined that little would come of it if the from wasn't sent off to them!

It being free of charge however, I think that I would tend towards sending if off and keeping it simple.

BEagle
31st May 2006, 11:30
I most certainly do NOT teach or examine in Spamland! Nor would I ever wish to.

Until some semblance of commonsense returns to the USA and they stop treating everyone arriving from abroad as a potential criminal, nothing in this world is likely to encourage me to visit the USA ever again!

Incidentally, the licence cannot be signed by an FI - it must be an Examiner.

dublinpilot
31st May 2006, 11:35
What's more, if the licence rating page was not signed by an examiner before the expiry date, it's too late. (Even one day.) If it's too late, you're friend will have to do a LPC flight with an examiner before they can fly again.

It's VERY important to get the licence rating page signed before it expires.

John001
31st May 2006, 17:19
I most certainly do NOT teach or examine in Spamland! Nor would I ever wish to.

Until some semblance of commonsense returns to the USA and they stop treating everyone arriving from abroad as a potential criminal, nothing in this world is likely to encourage me to visit the USA ever again!

Incidentally, the licence cannot be signed by an FI - it must be an Examiner.

Hi again BEagle. He did the 'training flight' with an FI but yes, he had it signed by an examiner.
thanks, John.