PDA

View Full Version : Flight school ripp-off

crjo
3rd May 2001, 19:30
Hello all.

I want to get your attention on practices not beffalling our Industry !

One of my good friends has just fallen victim to a flagrant Ripp-Off in the aviation industry.
He is 39, father of 4, and shares our passion for Aviation to a flabbergasting degree.
He is an achieved architect,has been flying for years with a private license, and has decided to follow up on his dream and try to become a line Pilot.

Unfortunately, he approached a school in France - where he lives - that offered a 4 months course in the US. He paid them about 17000 dollars, flew over to the US after quitting his job, only to realize that the school was a ...hoax !
A single plane, unfit to fly, no instructors, and no logistics to bring him to a CIME in about 4 months.
Back in France, the school refused to refund him, and keep putting him off.
All he wants is his money back, and a fresh start in a real flight school.

Any advice people ?

Thanks

Iz
3rd May 2001, 20:06
What's the name of the organisation? If this is really the case, anybody else should be prevented to make the same horrible mistake.

M.Mouse
3rd May 2001, 20:14
Sorry to hear about your pal's misfortune but surely he did some checking before parting with such a large amount of money?

If the French outfit is still in existence then presumably he has recourse through the law but that would require much thought before throwing more good money after bad.

Spoonbill
3rd May 2001, 20:14
I'm very sorry to hear that.
1 - Has he informed the police, in both countries, he may not get any money back, but at the very least he may get some redress in the courts.
2 - How did he finance the costs? If he paid by credit card or some bank loans, then the finance provider has a legal responsibility to ensure that the service purchased is provided, and consequently will be obliged to refund him.
I hope that things turn out OK, but don't hold your breath.

Capn Lucky
3rd May 2001, 20:44
I'd recommend a US attorney ASAP!! There are many questionable flight schools and more good ones. Your best bet is to stick to the major players like Comair and Flightsafety. Let me know if the school is in Florida.