PDA

View Full Version : WW2 style control tower... the ladder to the top... & the fall to the bottom.

Brian81
29th May 2006, 23:35
Hey everyone.

I work at an airfield with an ex-military control tower, the final climb to the Visual control room is a 12 foot ladder at about 75 degrees angle.

I climb and descend this ladder numerous times a day.

Today, I descended a little too quickly for my liking (I'm laughing a lot now, but it really isnt so funny)

*I've cut my elbow open, hurt (but not twisted or broken) my ankle, and banged my head on the way down (the stairs are metal).

Its now about 6 hours since the uncommanded descent and I feel really ill. I've got a head-ache and I feel sick. *(One part of me says its concussion, the other part says go to bed you fool!) but anyway, I digress.

The reason I type this is to ask the advice of anyone who cares to give it.

(*) Does anyone else have a control tower with a ladder?
(*) Has anyone (alive) ever fell down the ladder?
(*) How bad were the injuries?
(*) Did anything get changed? (health and safety / stairs installed)
(*) Has anyone ever fell and died as a result?
>
(*) I will speak to my SATCO when the Bank Holiday is over and management make a reappearance into the building, but advice on here is appreciated.
(*) I know this is completely the wrong place to ask, but should I be considering a visit to A&E?

POST NOTE:
I won't be working until I feel 100% again.
If the MODS think this would be better the ATC Issues section, please move it there.
I apologise for any spelling mistakes and grammar - I've got head injuries here people! lol

Cheers.

Brian.
Traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.:ok:

john_tullamarine
30th May 2006, 01:57
It's a very common and straightforward OH&S issue. Perfectly appropriate to be discussed here.

I'm just flabbergasted to think that your facility has an unguarded ladder .. if I permitted such in my hangar, the OH&S rep would hang me out to dry... and then the WorkSafe chappie (who is quite a nice sort of bloke) would proceed to hang, draw, and quarter me ... and, after he'd done that .. he probably would start to get a bit unpleasant about the whole matter ..

For individuals and management, this sort of thing is serious stuff ... you don't need too great a fall to suffer debilitating or fatal head injuries .. especially if the surface is unyielding .. like steel or concrete .. glad to see that you are still with us.

WHBM
30th May 2006, 09:36
An open ladder is not, inherently, something to be taken out of service. There are many such in continuing usage in other spheres. For example, how do you think a tower crane operator gets up to their cabin ? Or how does a windowcleaner manage to get insurance for his employee ?

Do you wear a safety helmet for the climb ? I would.

However the risks do need to be minimised if practical. Is there a plan for how to remove you from the room if you fall unconscious ? There certainly is for tower crane operators.

airborne_artist
30th May 2006, 12:21
RNAS Merryfield has a post WW2 tower with a metal ladder. ISTR that they have a 2" thick mat at the foot, and a wrap-around frame to stop people falling back.

FYI your injuries are enough to warrant a report to HSE by the supervisor, and you might point out to him/her that 80% of fatal falls in the construction industry result from a fall of less than 2m, I think. You sound as though you suffered a slight concussion. Take it easy.

Dizzee Rascal
30th May 2006, 14:23
I think it's shocking, I think the tower Brian81 mentioned should be closed down with immediate effect.

733driver
30th May 2006, 18:22
Hi Brian,

out of curiousity: is the name of your airfield two words (one of them a small mountain)? If so I think we might have met during a recent tower visit. Hint: I no longer fly the 733 but something a fraction of its size ;-)

Vino Collapso
31st May 2006, 11:24
The tower in question is post WW2 and is built to MOD specification 5223A/51. It is one of several of that design still in use.

The integral metal ladder forms a siginifcant part of the structure and would not be easy to remove or convert. The best option is to add an external staircase (enclosed for weather-proofing) and new entrance door. The entrance door would require major surgery to the windows and supporting wall which would reduce the visibility from the control room. As that is a definite no-no from the CAA the only real solution is to knock the damn thing down and build a new one.

How much for a new control tower? Probably similar to Dizzee Rascals salary and overtime claims. :ooh:

Incidentally there is an urban legend concerning this particular tower that in the RAF operational days a young officer rushed up the ladder to find his commanding officer at the top. He promtply stood to attention, saluted and fell backwards down the stairs. :rolleyes:

Centaurus
31st May 2006, 13:23
Wouldn't happen Down Under where you have to be "Ladder Approved" even to climb an itsy-bitsy ladder in a book shop. Reminds me though of the time I was nearly thrown down from the top rung of a WW2 control tower by an irate RAAF air traffic controller at Point Cook, near Melbourne. Night flying was in progress and as I was last on, I decided to watch the proceedings from the tower. There was no telephone at the base of the tower so I decided the tower bloke wouldn't mind if I watched and may even appreciate a trainee pilot for company.

Having clambered up the fifty or so rungs in my flying suit, fur lined boots and mae west, I reached the top and flung open the door. I was only 18 and teen-agers flung open doors. There was a dim red light inside the tower cab and I was instantly aware of the warm scent of perfume.
Squinting in the dark I could see the form of the controller sitting at his desk with microphone in one hand. Another form sat on his lap giggling and stroking his hair. I recognised the young lady as a WRAAF with a interesting reputation.

The tower operator didn't miss a beat, his hand clasped lovingly over one delicious boob. "Wirraway 745 - cleared touch and go runway 17 - PISS OFF, TRAINEE." His girl friend was no trainee that's for sure, so I gathered it was me he was referring to. With that I withdrew with as much dignity a trainee pilot could muster and left them both to it.

Such was my haste to tell my mates about the lucky sod in the tower that I slipped and fell off the ladder but survived. On reflection at the time, I figured if I was scrubbed off pilots course I would apply to remuster as an ATC where interesting opportunities for nocturnal dalliances existed.

Brian81
31st May 2006, 13:43
You'll all be pleased to know that I'm recovering well. My headache has all but gone and I've stopped missing out words from sentances.

The tower hasnt faired so well, I'm afraid. My dice with gravity induced descent has caused a slight hole to appear in the wall beside the ladder. I cant quite work out whether my elbow or my head caused that, but it's certainly a wonderful memory aid each time I got back up the VCR... :ok:

DR, thanks for the concern.
733driver. You are correct.
Vino Collapso. If the rumour isn't true, at least I'm not part of history - a true rumour with evidence...

& Centaurus... Thank you for a wonderful story, I'm pleased to say my fall wasnt related to catching any of my colleagues at it in the tower... :rolleyes: :ok:

I was going downstairs to photocopy some annual leave request forms. ironically, they should have been accident book forms...lol.

Dizzee Rascal
31st May 2006, 22:56
How much for a new control tower? Probably similar to Dizzee Rascals salary and overtime claims. :ooh:

I got challenged by the finance "person" the other day for using the photocopier to copy just 2 pages of an A4 book, therefore I think a brand new Control Tower is out of the question. I was so shocked at this that I had to go to another photocopier in another office to then copy the entire book!

Brian81 has done well to survive his fall, the hole his head made in the wall is very impressive and I think his ordeal is worthy of some form of financial compensation.

:ugh: