PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow near miss.....

Big Red ' L '
3rd May 2001, 18:38
Check out the link......Is there any ppruners in that picture..?????? :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1310000/1310877.stm

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

AffirmBrest
3rd May 2001, 20:20
Yeh - I'm in the third airbus behind and to the left of the dude in the blue shirt :)

All in a day's work for the boys on London's noisiest building site...

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

Gonzo
3rd May 2001, 21:21
Must have been taken about 2 years ago!

Looks to me like C watch.

Gonzo

PaperTiger
4th May 2001, 23:47
I'm confused. When did EGLL start mixing arrivals and departures on the same runway.
BAW on 09R I can understand, but UAL ?

akerosid
5th May 2001, 01:08
There was a piece in today's Guardian (no, I'm NOT a reader - it was pointed out to me!) saying that the IB crew was told 4 times not to line up. Anyone hear the exchanges?

As for the single runway operation, was 09L/27R closed for resurfacing at the time?

Aluminium Importer
5th May 2001, 01:41
PaperTiger and akerosid,

When the inbound delays into Heathrow total 20 minutes or more (landing 09L) or 30 minutes or more (landing 27R/L), we use a procedure which allows us to land a certain amount of jets per hour on the departure runway to reduce delays. Normally about 6 per hour.

During these delays, we choose heavy aircraft to land on the departure runway. This will eliminate any vortex gap that would be required behind it if it were landing on the landing runway.

We slot it onto the approach in between a 5 mile vortex gap on the landing runway. Because the aircraft are not directly in trail, vortex spacing isn't required and we effectively have 2x 3 mile gaps.

Beneficial to have BAW Longhaul or KLM landing on the southerly runway but any heavy a/c will do. In this case the UAL was one of them.

Hope this helps,

AI

[This message has been edited by Aluminium Importer (edited 04 May 2001).]

PaperTiger
7th May 2001, 21:00
AI
Thanks for the explanation, but I wonder if all crews are aware this sometimes happens ?
ISTM the Iberia could have been operating into EGLL for years, and never encountered it before. Thus he would expect that the runway was his exclusively and could have mentally 'tuned out' during the t/o run.
The clearance should included 'landing traffic at x miles', but maybe didn't.
Poor show by IB, but perhaps a bit of a trap too ?

Gonzo
7th May 2001, 23:03
Hey AI, seems to me that you've been reading the books!!!! ;) ;) ;)

PaperTiger,

Believe me, we are all very wary when it comes to TEAMing (Tactically Enhanced Arrival Method - the procedure described above) and you get an Air France, Iberia or any other foreign airline lining up ahead of the lander. The phrases 'Will you be ready immediate?', 'Landing traffic now at x miles', 'Cleared immediate take off' are used generously! :)

Gonzo