PDA

View Full Version : Aviation law exam

bencoulthard
27th May 2006, 19:42
Is it true it's the hardest exam for PPL?
I've heard the pass mark is 75% seems low to me, is that right?
Is it multiple choice?

Ben (Head in PPL confuser) Coulthard

Eddie_Crane
27th May 2006, 19:46
Took me less than 10 days to prepare from scratch. Combination of Thom vol. 2 and Confuser. Got good mark.
40 questions, 75% pass mark, so need to get 30 right.
No marks deducted for wrong or blank answers.
Multiple choice (a, b, c, d).
Not that hard at all.

MarcJF
27th May 2006, 20:13
I recommend the Confuser, if you can get through this than you should be just fine. It is multiple choice, but remember, the aim is to learn the theory, not just pass the test!

Good luck!

Gertrude the Wombat
27th May 2006, 20:14
Is it true it's the hardest exam for PPL?
Well, it seemed to me that you had to memorise a bunch of illogical and unrelated facts, but as long as you can actually remember them you're home and dry, there's no actual thinking to do. There are other sorts of exams where you only have to learn a few principles, but you then have to apply them on the fly in the exam to situations you've never come across before.

Some people find the first sort harder (can work stuff out but can't remember stuff), some people find the second sort harder (can remember stuff, but can't work things out under pressure). As one who failed his History O-level but got ninety-something percent in maths you can guess which camp I fall into!

bencoulthard
27th May 2006, 20:22
Maths was the only thing I left high school with!!!

But I seem to remember things spookily well, my mate reckons it's something to do with chromosome 15, don't know what he's talking about.

Ben

acuba 290
28th May 2006, 02:19
Question to all people who has done this exam:

Is book from J.Pratt PPL2 Air Law enough to be learned to pass the exam or it must be other publication needful?

coodem
28th May 2006, 04:51
I used it and managed to pass 1st time. I really paniced when I was doing airlaw, but after passing the exam I did not think it was that bad. I found Met the hardest, strangely enough I got 96% for it. I thought human factors was a walk in the park and Nav the most interesting. I prefer mathematical things.

I had a tutor to go through everything with me. He spent about 4 hours per subject, then I did a mock exam, we then worked on my weak points. Then I got to do the real exam. I did the whole lot in about 5 days, but admit I did go through the next days syllabus the night before. just to get a little prepared.

I was tempted to get the confuser, but thought it was sort of cheating, and that it would be more beneficial for my flying in the long run to be familiar with all the subjects.

Mad Girl
28th May 2006, 07:26
Air Law is not an easy exam to pass first time.

I've now passed 4 exams in the last 7 weeks, 3 of them with marks in the 90's and for all of them except Air Law I only needed 25 - 30% of the allotted time.

I only just scraped through in Air Law - that was a bit too close.

I did use the PPL confuser and could get 90ish in mock exams off it but you can see where I ended up.

I used the Thom books and a study CD and also was in and out of the airpilot, downloaded the ANO, read Lasors - what a sad muppet I was!!!

We have a lot of examiners at my flying club and their advice to me was to cover up the answers and read the question at LEAST 3 times before looking at the answers. There are usually 2 obvious wrong answers but there are 2 where either could be right but 1 is MORE right than the other.
This is where a lot of people get caught out.

If you want to do some background reading - PM me and I'll send you the links to the 3 sources mentioned above which were provided to me by my instructor when I was panicking.

PS A friend at the club told me that Met was another "dodgy" paper as he swotted like mad and only just got through on 75%.