PDA

View Full Version : Engine failer after V1

pairottoboeing
27th May 2006, 00:50
Does any one knows where I can find out if PF has to close thrust lever on defected side rather than PM? (PF close thrust lever with confirmation by PM)
Thanks!:}

Intruder
27th May 2006, 02:38
NEITHER! After V1 NOBODY closes a thrust lever! That's why the Captain takes his hand OFF the thrust levers at V1!

After you're airborne, your airline's procedures will tell you who does what, and when...

barit1
27th May 2006, 19:11
Step 1: Fly the airplane.

411A
28th May 2006, 02:05
Normally, in all aircarriers that I have flown for, the procedure is...

After a suitable height is reached, the pilot flying is to close the relevant thrust lever, then call for the engine shutdown checklist.
In this case the pilot NOT flying is to monitor the closing of the HP fuel switch/valve/lever, to be done (normally) by the (depending on the respective airlines procedures) the pilot flying OR the pilot NOT flying.

Many variations.

My opinion...the Commander should ALWAYS close the HP valve.
Period.

Capt Chambo
28th May 2006, 02:19
You don't say which aeroplane you are flying, or asking about, but an educated guess from your handle would seem to indicate Boeing.

From my B737 training and the relevant manuals the PF (Pilot Flying) closes the relevant thrust lever, and the PM (Pilot Monitoring) or PNF (Pilot Not Flying) confirms that PF has the correct engine.

If you have your manuals check your Volume 1 under the Normal Procedures section, Areas of Responsibility. And if you have acces to a Flight Crew Training Manual Section 8 page 8.4 Engine Failure vs Engine Fire After Takeoff.

This is the Boeing way, your airline's SOPs may be different.

skiesfull
28th May 2006, 20:37
Whatever your airline chooses as it's SOP's, the most important action is that the closure of the thrust lever (throttle) and then the fuel control switch ( fuel lever) is monitored BEFORE it is actually moved - so that a mistake can be corrected before it becomes a tragedy!

alf5071h
29th May 2006, 09:03
NEITHER! After V1 NOBODY closes a thrust lever! That's why the Captain takes his hand OFF the thrust levers at V1!
After you're airborne, your airline's procedures will tell you who does what, and when...
Absolutely correct!
I recall a check flight where the instructor pulled back a thrust lever at V1 to simulate an engine failure and the other thrust lever caught his shirt sleeve!
In training situations, even on a twin, this type of error is relatively easy to recover from, but with a real engine failure and a similar error when closing the thrust lever, it is not necessarily so. Only take action at a suitable safe altitude; threat and error management – avoid error provoking situations and/or actions.

The question states an engine failure, which assumes recognition and analysis of the situation. Why increase workload with this analysis at a critical phase of flight? Many checklists for subsequent actions are titled ‘engine failure or fire – shutdown’; analysis of the failure should also be done at a safe altitude - rule 1 'Fly The Aircraft'. The alerting call can vary reflecting the warning – ‘Engine fire’ (bell) or ‘Engine failure’ Oil light or instrument abnormality etc. The PF then knows that subsequent action, and possible change of flight technique could follow; - communication, situation awareness, thinking ahead.
In some circumstances, e.g. over-temp / fire, the engine may still provide thrust. Whilst this power is not required for certified climb performance, not touching the thrust lever at a low altitude it will remove another error provoking situation involving a change in flight control. Even with a fire, the short climb to a safer altitude without retarding the thrust lever is within the fire certification requirements.

pairottoboeing
29th May 2006, 12:22
Sorry that I did not mention proper info....been flying 757.

and things what I wanted to know is the procedure recommended by Boeing sometime after JUN last year. Before that as a common procedure (at least I have been using as per sop set by each company I have flown) was PM or PNF close thurst lever after confirmed with PF. but the new company that I just start working for is still in middle of establish sop for them so I was trying to locate where it was written. (I could not find out anywhere I though of. incld Boeing web site nor aviation safty site)

callout
30th May 2006, 08:10
In AAI B-747-200 and 300 QRH, which is taken from Boeing, the PNF retards the thrust lever to idle and shuts off the fuel. Of course this is confirmed by the F/E prior to any movement. In a fire or sever damage or seperation the fire handle is pulled and if necessary the bottle shot by the F/E which is confirmed by the PNF.

alexban
30th May 2006, 16:18
In case of fire,due to asymmetric thrust considerations,Boeing recommends that the PF retard the affected thrust lever after the PM confirms that the PF has identified the correct engine.
From FCTM ,8.7 31oct2005

pairottoboeing
10th Jun 2006, 21:35
Alexban,

Thank you so much. That the info I was looking for. yes FCTM.

Best Regards:ok:

Capt Claret
11th Jun 2006, 01:35
Interesting.

In all the multi crew work I've done (Nord 262, DH8, BAe146, B717) it has been the pilot not flying (PNF, Support Pilot) who has closed the throttle/thrust lever of the engine which has failed or is on fire, after confiirmation from the PF that the correct lever has been identified.

Texasishy
11th Jun 2006, 01:58
For the Airbus it would be the pilot who is performing the ECAM actions that would close the throttle lever and the other pilot would confirm and guard the other lever or levers.

PIC would determin if he wanted to fly the aircraft or perform ECAM actions.