PDA

View Full Version : Any handheld GPS that displays instrument approaches?

IO540
26th May 2006, 20:53
IFR GPSs (all if them being panel mounted) usually contain (variously incomplete) depictions of conventional-navaid instrument approaches in their database.

I have not come across any handheld GPS that contains this. However, I have not played with any recent products to that level of detail.

Just wonder if there is such a thing.

Longbow55
27th May 2006, 00:20
For th UK, they will be listed but no info that I have seen yet. but the Garmin GPS have it. My 196 has approaches, and it does list the VOR, ILS but haven't played with it yet here. the 296, and 396 will have the same info.

If you want to play with the Garmin we can go flying sometime. send me an e-mail and we can go up and play.

A and C
27th May 2006, 07:44
I hope not ! if the hand held will show the approach sooner or later some idiot will try to fly an approach with one.

rustle
27th May 2006, 09:02
I hope not ! if the hand held will show the approach sooner or later some idiot will try to fly an approach with one.

No more so than same "idiot" might use his ICOM for VOR reception when in IMC and the aircraft electrics have failed...

IO540
27th May 2006, 10:04
I asked what I thought was a reasonably straightforward question. Most of the respondents thus far will also know enough about me to realise that I would probably not be flying an approach with a handheld GPS. The reason I asked was in fact just a search for information on currently available GPS databases.

Before this thread degenerates further into the usual righteous territory, let me invite everyone to submit a proper analysis of why for example flying an NDB approach with a handheld GPS should (wholly on account of it being handheld) be less safe than flying the same NDB approach with an ADF.

All submissions are to be properly referenced, of course.

:O

drauk
27th May 2006, 12:21
Garmins like the 196 and 296 don't have full approaches. They do have the final segment, from the final approach fix to the missed approach point.

The AvMap EKP-IV is said to have approaches but I don't if they are the full monty or just from the FAF to the runway as for Garmin.

The Garmins have WAAS, but not RAIM, nor do they switch the sensitivity of their CDI when moving from enroute to terminal to approach mode (because they don't have them).

Longbow55
27th May 2006, 13:16
I should add, forthe US if you select GPS approach it gives you the full approach, if you select Vectors, then as I take it is gives for from FAF to final. Folks, this is a great back up system for that day when all else fails, it seems to match what is in the GNS530 I use.

IO540 offer still stands if you have a look see. I have the Atlantic data base in the unit now.

IO540
27th May 2006, 14:59
They do have the final segment, from the final approach fix to the missed approach point

That's funny, that's exactly what my KLN94 IFR GPS shows, for nonprecision approaches and probably for precision ones too.

A and C
27th May 2006, 15:14
The Icom will work just as it was intended fro a VOR approach and give a reliable indication the GPS won't work as intended for an approach as it can't enter an approach mode.

I have a handheld COM/VOR incase of total electrical failure in IMC and the plan is to use the VOR ( staying above the MSA) to get me to a place that will get me onto the runway with an SRA or PAR.

acuba 290
27th May 2006, 15:30
little offtop, but why in Europe there is no info about Garmin 396? Nobody selling it...Is it only for US use?

Henry Hallam
27th May 2006, 16:50
As I understand it the satellites which provide WX information etc are in geostat orbit over the Americas so for European users there isn't much advantage over the 296.

acuba 290
27th May 2006, 17:24
As I understand it the satellites which provide WX information etc are in geostat orbit over the Americas so for European users there isn't much advantage over the 296.

hopefully it comes to Europe with this service one day...;)