PDA

View Full Version : What's your kind of flying?

kevmusic
25th May 2006, 15:03
Just a straw poll. I've been hooked on biplanes & open cockpits since a kid. Dreamed of puttering along over the English summer fields in a Tiger Moth. Since then I've done that (as a passenger) and flown open cockpit gliders in freezing rain!:eek:

And I'm hooked. Though I must say it must be Class A for me; but when I do my PPL it will be off to the Tiger Club, then Tigers & Turbs - here I come!

Now I know some people like hot ships, glass panels and all the gizmos - probably double glazing and aircon to boot. ;) So what does it for you?

Kev.

markflyer6580
25th May 2006, 15:58
Free Flying:}

I quite like complicated routes and such,but I'm on my way out now to try some aeros so that could be a winner as well!:ok:

Gerhardt
25th May 2006, 16:45
I used to enjoy flying once a week or so to a small town picked at random. Take the courtesy car to get a bite to eat, read the local paper before heading back to the airport. I ran out of small towns to visit last year and took up helicopters. I read something the other day about hovering being perfect for someone who loves to fly but has no place to go. That seems about right.

shortstripper
25th May 2006, 17:28
Very similar to yourself Kev,

I grew up in the age of the war film. BoB, 633 squadron ect, and have always loved older aircraft. I like the new stuff, but it's never really captured my imagination like the old, with the stories of the aviation trail blazers. Having flown gliders, I converted to power, flying Tigermoths at Cambridge and Cubs at Clacton. I've almost exclusively flown PFA types ever since ... single seat, open cockpit, almost always tailwheel.

I've just completed the conversion of a Slingsby T31m that has most of the ingredients required to keep me happy for a long time (see http://www.ivan.pfanet.co.uk

SS

Incidently, see my links page for alternative ab-initio Tigermoth training in the South East.

IO540
25th May 2006, 18:04
Technically challenging 3hr to 6hr flights, with stunning views along the way from 5000-15000ft, to interesting places which would take days to drive to. Then, after a couple of days checking out the place and all the coffee bars and the food etc, do the same thing to another interesting place.

Preferably in the southerly direction. I rarely fly north; the temperature drops as you go and I don't like that :O

It makes for great though unusual holidays. You get to see a lot, you are not tied to dates on 737 tickets; in fact most of it would be very awkward using commercial travel.

You are tied to the weather charts a bit but not as much as if you had to fly VFR ;)

Cricket23
25th May 2006, 21:31
I too grew up in the age of the war film like Shortstripper, and have only recently got my licence, so I feel like a kid in a sweet shop, in that I fancy a bit of everything.

I also find the challenge of Nav quite enjoyable and satisfying, and even tho' I've got a GPS, I rather use the Mk1 eye-ball, but have the GPS there just in case.

I managed to escape work early this afternoon and went for a 30 min bimble around Tonbridge, Bough Beech area. Nothing much, just for the pure joy of flying on a lovely evening.

C23

i.dingbat
26th May 2006, 05:06
Good idea for a thread. I was given an Airfix DH Heron for my 8th birthday, which started me down the skippery slope. After years of books, films, airshows, museums and joyflights (Tiger Moth, DC-3, Beech 18) I decided I wasn't getting any younger so it was time to see if I could do it myself.

I'm learning on Citabrias (tailwheel, high wing, tandem seats) so there's a definite retro feel. There's a young lad at the school who did his first solo on his 16th birthday in a Tiger Moth. Now that's the way to go.

Still one round of solo circuits to go (tomorrow) before stretching my wings in the training area, but when I get my PPL I'll be flying for the sheer joy of it (Citabrias are aerobatic :)), and to get to places which normally take hours to drive to (I'm in Australia). After that, we'll see ;).

Iain

tonyhalsall
26th May 2006, 09:30
Pull start, no radio, no navaids, chugging along above Englands green and pleasant land

Paradise

Genghis the Engineer
26th May 2006, 09:56
Just a straw poll. I've been hooked on biplanes & open cockpits since a kid. Dreamed of puttering along over the English summer fields in a Tiger Moth. Since then I've done that (as a passenger) and flown open cockpit gliders in freezing rain!:eek:

And I'm hooked. Though I must say it must be Class A for me; but when I do my PPL it will be off to the Tiger Club, then Tigers & Turbs - here I come!

Now I know some people like hot ships, glass panels and all the gizmos - probably double glazing and aircon to boot. ;) So what does it for you?

Kev.

Why not try flexwings?

G

DRJAD
26th May 2006, 10:14
Technically challenging 3hr to 6hr flights, with stunning views along the way from 5000-15000ft, to interesting places which would take days to drive to. Then, after a couple of days checking out the place and all the coffee bars and the food etc, do the same thing to another interesting place.
Preferably in the southerly direction. I rarely fly north; the temperature drops as you go and I don't like that :O
It makes for great though unusual holidays. You get to see a lot, you are not tied to dates on 737 tickets; in fact most of it would be very awkward using commercial travel.
You are tied to the weather charts a bit but not as much as if you had to fly VFR ;)

Almost exactly my thoughts about this. Only I would/do fly north, since I prefer to be cooler!

No interest in aerobatics as such, though I do recognise the benefit from increased motor skills.

High Wing Drifter
26th May 2006, 10:23
...I feel like a kid in a sweet shop, in that I fancy a bit of everything.
Snap! Three years after getting my PPL and the grief/fun/comittment/hassle/joy/challenge/frustration of doing a CPL/IR part-time I still feel the same way :ok: However, despite turbos, multis and all that jazz, the pinnacle of aviation contentment thus far has been a Summer's evening in somthing that produces 65hp for a £30/hr input.

IO540
26th May 2006, 10:37
Well, anybody suffering the JAA ATPL ground school will probably want to get as far away from instrument flight as possible :O

High Wing Drifter
26th May 2006, 12:40
Quite so IO540. I suspect IR training should be a result in the feeling of accomplishment. So far all I have, is to dwell on the list of everything I got wrong :ugh:

A bit OT: I can see that it doesn't is involve anything particuarly difficult. It is just manufactured sillyness, stuff like spending a couple of miles in an airway before you're chucked out again, so now you need to descend, slow down, brief, ATIS and plan your new hold to perfection and all at the same time...grumble grumble :hmm:

Ridgerunner
26th May 2006, 12:56
Mountain flying over the Highlands and Islands of my Bonnieland Scotland. Can't beat it!

foxmoth
26th May 2006, 12:58
So what does it for you?

Flying does it for me, just about any type any where, if you want it in order it runs something like:-
Aeros, Formation, vintage, instructing, then the rest. If you combine some of these these (i.e. instructing aeros in a Stampe on a sunny summers evening) then you can get a really top flight.:D

Oxeagle
26th May 2006, 20:31
As with Foxmoth, I just love flying, doesn't matter what in, fixed or rotary, old or new, sleek composite or tin can with wings, I love it! :O From my rather limited experience what I find really gets my heart racing is low flying, for me there is nothing that gives me a greater rush than executing a 'missed approach' at 30ft at 120kts! :cool:

J.A.F.O.
26th May 2006, 22:59
Shortstripper

Thanks for the VP-1 video on your site. I grinned almost as much as you did.

That's my kind of flying, wind in what little hair I have and a bug splattered grin. I've nowhere that I particularly want to get to quickly, I'd rather enjoy the journey.

I enjoy flying in anything but low flying ain't for me, Ox - nobody ever died hitting the sky.

shortstripper
28th May 2006, 05:33
Thanks for the VP-1 video on your site. I grinned almost as much as you did.

Glad you liked it, and as I'm sure you're aware, VP's ain't fast, they ain't sexy ... but they have bucketfuls of "fun factor" :}

SS

Monocock
28th May 2006, 08:44
tonyhalshall

I'm with you on that:ok:

7gcbc
28th May 2006, 10:21
type of flying ? , has to be tailwheel, challenging, some good coming-atcha aeros, and some grass strip stuff, no busy circuits and no radio (I wish ).

I love the 182's, 180's, pa235'ers go places perf aircraft, but they are a little dull to fly.

:)

kookabat
28th May 2006, 10:36
Flying for the fun of it. Early morning. At the moment, just the Cherokee but soon to do a taildragger endorsement - the fun stuff!

None of this 'flying to a deadline' stuff for me. None of this 'I can't see out the window so I'll have to look at the instruments' stuff either!

Tiger_ Moth
29th May 2006, 13:06
I agree with Kev. No need to wait till you have your PPL to fly tigers kev, get up to Cambridge Flying Group if you can put up with the journey and you can learn on them from scratch, I did.

Turbs are fantastic by the way.

kevmusic
29th May 2006, 14:14
Much as I'd love it, a tad too expensive, TM! I could do that at Headcorn if I wanted, but at £150/hr. + instructor. No, I'll be learning tailwheel on the Jodel 150. :)
Some interesting replies here :ok:

Tiger_ Moth
29th May 2006, 20:29
Hi Kev,

I don't think you can actually learn at Headcorn, it's only for when you have a PPL, and it's £130 including instructor.
Cambridge I believe, is slightly cheaper, maybe £128 dual and £115 solo or thereabouts.
Worth considering.

Chuck Ellsworth
29th May 2006, 22:58
I'm sort of partial to flying these things.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/ChuckEllsworth/RotterdamBridge.jpg

Chuck Ellsworth

LowNSlow
30th May 2006, 07:55
Bimbling through sunny skies in a 60-year old taildragger going to a nice airfield (preferably grass) for a cuppa is my idea of fun. :D