PDA

View Full Version : What does "PNF" and "PF" mean?

Martin4
24th May 2006, 22:55
Called for interview by phone call (short notice) followed by sim ride. Last sim rides were at hs125 at Bournemouth and they were looking for an improvement in your flying throughout. Nothing nasty, and you did pnf and pf (also given a quiz while phf !). This was followed by medical paid for by JMC at MAN or LGW. -----------------------------------------------------------------

What does PNF and PF mean? Im assuming PNF - Pilot Not Flying, PF - Pilot Flying

oh and also, PHF? cant figure this one out...

ONEWORLD_86
24th May 2006, 23:46
Hi,

You are quite correct in assuming the defenitions of PF and PNF,acting in a multi-crew scenario.

The PF will typically fly the aircraft, either manually or using the FCU, and carry out the briefs, whilst the PNF will handle any failures or abnormal situations (when commanded to do so by the PF) and handle the radio.

As for PHF, i assume it means Pilot Hand Flying,but i will leave that open to someone wiser than myself.

ILS Repeater
25th May 2006, 19:21
Hi there...

Boeing use the terms PF=Pilot Flying and PM=Pilot Monitoring to decribe the cockpit roles, but I have never seen PHF used anywhere - Sorry.

Perhaps its a CRM term for times of extreme stress PHF=Pilot Having Fit ?!

Cheers

ILS

IMC007
25th May 2006, 20:58
I would suggest phf is a typo, person hit wrong key whilst rushing the typing. Have a look and see where the H key and N key are located on your keyboard! easily done, should have been pnf.

My thoughts anyway.

AerocatS2A
26th May 2006, 07:27
I don't know, "pilot hand flying" seems reasonable. It seems to be common practice for the check pilot to ask interviewees questions while they are handflying an approach.

Kiwiguy
27th May 2006, 04:51
Pilot Handling Flight ?????

Sean Dillon
27th May 2006, 09:15
Our SOP's include PF/PNF and HP/NHP!!!!!

dv8
27th May 2006, 22:52
What's that BA double hand-over malarkey

The Handling Pilot is the Pilot Flying Non Handling.......

Almost as bad as describing cricket
The team that's IN is OUT and when your out your back IN that .......

Jinkster
28th May 2006, 16:51
I like Pilot Flying and Monitoring Pilot - basically because some people can think Pilot Not Flying means Pilot doing bugger all!

:ok: