PDA

View Full Version : PPL school near Reading, Berks?

xniting
23rd May 2006, 22:21
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a PPL training club/school near Reading, Berks. I have visited White Waltham (WLAC) and BA Flying club at Wycombe.

WLAC seems warm and friendly but rather small, whereas BAFC seems more businesslike but crowded.

Any suggestions about good schools around this area and what factors you considered when choosing a school?

Thanks in advance.

eharding
24th May 2006, 00:19
WLAC - small? How so?...warm & friendly in large quantities though.

xniting
24th May 2006, 06:43
Thanks eHarding.

WLAC looked small as in the number of people doing flying/related stuff.

I am not sure if it was a function of the day I chose but when I went to WLAC, there were one/two other people flying. While at BAFC, the sky/runway was full of people/aircraft/helicopters. So BAFC seemed more like a factory approach whereas WLAC seemed to have a more personal touch. At the same time, I am not sure if a busy airport is better place to learn (loooking for traffic etc.).

My personal preference is for a place where I have the opportunity ask the instructor/other students questions on and off the ground.

Just wanted to know if this is how they are or I carried the wrong impressions...

Boing_737
24th May 2006, 07:20
I trained and currently fly with WLAC. Theres's plenty going on there normally. Just go on a sunny weekend!

The advantages of it are the number of runways available, so theres pretty much always something into wind.

The circuits are of reasonable proportions, not withstanding the usual noise abatement meaning that when you come to doing circuits, you'll get more in than at say Booker (a friend that flys from there describes them as mini cross countries:) ) for your hour.

It is also air/ground radio which means it is generally easier to get off quicker, although Booker offers full ATC which forces you into good R/T practice.

I would suggest going for trial flights at the clubs of your choice and find out if you like the instructors, the condition of the aircraft, and the atmosphere.

wsmempson
24th May 2006, 07:41
I did my PPL with BAFC at Booker and can't recommend it highly enough. It is true that it has less of a vibrant social scene than WLAC - which is superb - but the BAFC flying school is 1st class - which at this stage is probably what you're looking for. The ATC at Booker is a full tower, looking after the GA circuit, helicopters and gliders on an opposing circuit. If you learn to fly here, it'll set you up well for later.

The fleet of aircraft, mostly PA28 warriors, is looked after by the in house engineers and although most are old, are pretty immaculate; I've only ever had one go tech on me, in four years of flying. The teaching is great, although instruction style varies teacher to teacher and some I learnt more from than others (I just didn't hit it off with one of them, so this is more of a 'Human Factors and Performance' issue, than a criticism); Pick one you get on with and stick with him/her, you'll learn faster. The instructors are all career teachers (or ex-BA pilots doing it for fun, it would seem) rather than hour-builders. There is a real difference, as I'm sure you'll discover.

To the north of the field is a big area of class-G airspace which is great for training. WLAC is within the London CTR and I just know as a student that at some point I would have blotted my copy book badly on this score

The main problem at Booker is that the Cafe/bar/restaurant is owned by a third party and, although beautifully decorated, is a study in incompetance; I've routinely waited 45 minutes for an English breakfast and had to leave before it's arrival. The management are more interested in the money they make from running it as a night club during the evening than serving drinks or bacon butties to aviators and, from purely a business point of view, who can blame them.

Otherwise a great place to do your PPL. Enjoy!!

(PM me if you want more info)

By the way, I am not connected to BAFC or on commision.....

BroomstickPilot
24th May 2006, 08:04
xniting,

O.K. Here's a run down.

First of all, any club or FTO within 50 miles of London is going to be very expensive. Consider going out further.

There are two outfits at Booker. You only seem to have visited one. The other, if my memory serves me correctly, is Booker Air Centre. Good outfit and well equipped. BAC has some club atmosphere and is a bit less expensive than the BA club, but still not cheap.

There are several outfits at Elstree. Of these, Firecrest Club is good and inexpensive, and has a club atmosphere (because it is a real club run by its members). Two other outfits are based there (I think Cabair and Flight Team) which have no club atmosphere and I believe charge London prices.

At Fairoaks there are two outfits. One is expensive, as might be expected so convenient for London, and has no club atmosphere. The other is a very tiny club which I personally would not recommend.

The Pilot Centre at Denham seems to have very nice aeroplanes and so far as I know good instructors also. However, it too charges London region prices and has no club atmosphere.

Blackbushe has two outfits, Cabair and Redair. Both good, so far as I know, but both are expensive and are definitely not clubs.

Good luck!

Broomstick.

eharding
24th May 2006, 10:54
Thanks eHarding.

WLAC looked small as in the number of people doing flying/related stuff.

I am not sure if it was a function of the day I chose but when I went to WLAC, there were one/two other people flying. While at BAFC, the sky/runway was full of people/aircraft/helicopters. So BAFC seemed more like a factory approach whereas WLAC seemed to have a more personal touch. At the same time, I am not sure if a busy airport is better place to learn (loooking for traffic etc.).

My personal preference is for a place where I have the opportunity ask the instructor/other students questions on and off the ground.

Just wanted to know if this is how they are or I carried the wrong impressions...

Probably just a quiet day at WLAC then. The question you might want to ask is once you've done your PPL, what sort of a place would to like to keep flying from? - I know at least one Booker instructor who makes a bee-line down the road to WW for the social life and the opportunity to fly far more interesting kit than is on offer up at Wycombe... :). Also, what are your ultimate goals - if you want to go commercial, then WW is a great place to meet the professionals - I'd bet a Waltham Full English Breakfast (served promptly..) that you'll find more BA pilots at WW on a sunny saturday afternoon than you would at the other place. If you want to get into aerobatics, there are plenty of competition pilots to help out & world-class instruction on hand as well.

WLAC is within the London CTR and I just know as a student that at some point I would have blotted my copy book badly on this score

:eek: Ahhh - I see, better to wait until you're not a student any more than *then* bust the zone big time, eh? :E . For the record, only the eastern side of the EGLM zone overlaps the London Class A - the approaches from the other side are in uncontrolled airspace - if you can find Reading, then just follow the railway line back to WW - easy....if you get all the way to Paddington though, turn round, fly directly back to Booker, dump the plane, and scarper. :ok:

Brooklands
24th May 2006, 12:29
The other, if my memory serves me correctly, is Booker Air Centre

Sorry BP, it doesn't: its Wycombe Air Centre.

xniting - WAC is definately worth a visit

Brooklands

Human Factor
24th May 2006, 12:32
I know at least one Booker instructor who makes a bee-line down the road to WW for the social life and the opportunity to fly far more interesting kit than is on offer up at Wycombe... :)

Don't know who you mean, Ed. ;)

xniting,

As I'm involved fairly closely with both places, feel free to PM me.

Hampshire Hog
24th May 2006, 13:15
I would back up what wsmempson has said about BAFC at Booker. It is a first class operation - I drive miles further than my local airport to fly their and have almost finished my PPL. The instruction and aircraft are better than you will find at most schools and the full ATC airfield is really no problem when you get used to it. You will never have fear of flying in a busy circuit or going to a real airport (we go to Bournemouth on our cross countries) after this. If you can fly during the week, it's better than at weekends, when the field can be really hectic.

The instructors are all excellent, whether ex-airline or otherwise and there is always plenty of help and advice on hand. Another benefit is that, when you are doing the solo bits of the training, BAFC charge at solo rate (not many schools do this). They also have at least 4 in-house examiners, which means that standards required are clear. Everyone has preferences - I have mostly flown with 2 instructors I get on with, but would be reasonably comfortable flying with most of them.

I live near Blackbushe, where I started with one school - expensive and a bit disorganised - and checked out the other (I didn't like their aircraft:oh: ) - hence, moved to flying miles away!

There is a social scene, but perhaps not as good as some clubs. They do regular summer barbies and there is a range of organised trips - on most of which students are welcomed.

HH

wsmempson
24th May 2006, 19:45
:: Ahhh - I see, better to wait until you're not a student any more than *then* bust the zone big time, eh? :E . For the record, only the eastern side of the EGLM zone overlaps the London Class A - the approaches from the other side are in uncontrolled airspace - if you can find Reading, then just follow the railway line back to WW - easy....if you get all the way to Paddington though, turn round, fly directly back to Booker, dump the plane, and scarper. :ok:[/QUOTE]

No, If I make it to Paddington, I'll park the aircraft and walk home.:ok:

B Fraser
25th May 2006, 04:54
Booker/Wycombe is a great place to learn in that you will be gently lowered into the deep end. The ATC is first class, the airspace is very busy, the ground crews are a great bunch of blokes and the airfield has both grass and tarmac surfaces. The traffic can get quite busy with three circuits (a/c, helicopter and non-radio glider/tugs) but would you feel safer having learned to drive in the middle of Reading or on the Isle of Wight ? Learning in a busy environment will make your trips to other airfields much less daunting.

I'm learning on the Warriors at Booker (you know which school that is !) and they are absolutely first class. The instructors have very different styles however I am happy to fly with any of them. The aircraft are maintained to the highest standard by a team led by an ex-Halton chap who will happily give you a tour of the workshop if he is not too busy.

The instructors are running a series of weekly lectures to get you through the ground school and for ten quid a night, it is good value. They are also a good way to buddy-up with students at different stages and swap notes on the better books, study aids etc. The students are a good mix of ages and abilities but I am a bit biased !

The school is running a number of very interesting trips this year and I managed to get into the "goldfish bowl" at the top of the Heathrow ATC tower a few weeks back. Absolutely amazing.

The clubhouse is not cheap but then again, I have not caught anything either :yuk:

I only live a few miles away from you so PM me if you would like a chat offline.

Pianorak
25th May 2006, 11:56
Probably just a quiet day at WLAC then.
I dropped in briefly at around 3pm on Monday and it wasn't just quiet, it was dead quiet, due to infamous wx! :) :bored:

SKYYACHT
25th May 2006, 17:32
You could always try Blackbushe.... Just off the M3 - not too bad to access from Bracknell/Reading....

Cheers

Mark

Hampshire Hog
26th May 2006, 09:08
'You could always try Blackbushe'

But see my comments above too!

HH

rons22
9th Jun 2006, 22:28
I'd be cautious when dealing with clubs := , you do pay less (but this is for a reason). Instructors in these places are often in rush (i.e. part-timers) and quality of teaching can be inconsistent. You pay 20% more in pro school and get far higher standards. ;)
I've flown at few places in the UK and USA and it is amazing how standards vary from school to school. From personal experience, it is better to avoid hour-building instructors and part-timers (amateurs). They can make flying really frustrating experience!

jayemm
10th Jun 2006, 08:40
I trained at Blackbushe with the then "European Flyers". I had a better experience than Hampshire Hog. Every one of the PPL schools mentioned are good (and not cheap) but if I was selecting a school again I would focus on two things as a main priority:
1. Will the way they run the PPL course suit my learning style? For example, do they have ground school, how do they teach and support the groundwork. In some places they do very little and it's mainly down to your own study, in others there's a lot of support.
2. Am I likely to get a competent Instructor I can get on with? A difficult one to check out, but this is the lass/lad you are going to be sitting with for a good 40 to 60 hours of your life and who will have a significant influence on how you learn to fly. Some schools have a fairly high turnover of Instructors so you'll probably learn with more than one and others have a more stable Instructor team so you're more likely to stay with one throughout.
You can worry about the club and how busy the place is after you've got your PPL and for the ten's of years of flying fun you'll do after the training.
One last thought. I was always envious of White Waltham on days when the wind wasn't right at Blackbushe, because they have 6 runways as opposed to the 2 at Blackbushe. I don't know for a fact but it's likely that you'd get to fly more at WW.