PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Seat

Shinty
23rd May 2006, 15:23
I’m a VFR pilot only. Just wondering can I fly from the right hand seat when I’m by myself or when I’ve a non-pilot in the left hand seat?

UV
23rd May 2006, 16:11
No you cannot!

javelin
23rd May 2006, 16:29
Provided you can reach the switches - yes you can !

Same applies to tandem, doesn't matter which seat you sit in unless c of g is a factor

Mark 1
23rd May 2006, 17:14
Perfectly OK, as long as you have full view of the instruments and access to the controls.

It can be a bit disorienting first time or two, so worth doing it under supervision until you feel comfortable.

I know a few instructors who have got so used to it that they choose to fly in the RH seat all the time, even when not instructing.

Edit to add - very occasionally the POH stipulates the captain's seating position, or solo seating position.

Mike Cross
23rd May 2006, 17:17
(Talking UK here)

The ANO requires the pilot to remain at the controls (you weren't considering putting it on autopilot so you could chat up a girl in the aft galley were you?)
Apart from that in the absence of any prohibition (eg in the Pilot's Operating Handbook) I'm not aware of any reason why not.

The main issues will be that flying from the right hand seat is (for me at least) a very different experience that skews your visual references. Therefore I suggest you try it with a qualified safety pilot in the LHS so you can hand over to him if you don't like it.

The standard "keep to the right of a line feature" and "left hand circuit" are also predicated on you sitting on the left and therefore having a good view in that direction.

On my aircraft there are no brakes on the RHS and on some you might find some of the controls not replicated or more difficult to use (requiring more swapping of hands).

You'll probably also not have a full complement of instruments on the right hand side and visibility of some of the displays may be more problematic (radio right over on the left side of the panel on mine).

All aircraft are different and as a qualified pilot you are expected to be able to make your own decisions. "If in doubt don't" is usually a good fallback position. It's also good to remember that something that is legal is not necessarily sensible (and the converse is also true at times).

Perhaps UV could point us in the direction of some rule or legislation that supports his view?

On the Spot
23rd May 2006, 17:18
depends also where the aircraft is from as some rentals specify that P1 must occupy the RHS.

172driver
23rd May 2006, 17:23
as long as you can reach all the controls and see/adjust all the instruments, no reason why not. As others here have pointed out though, first couple of times go up with a pilot in the left seat, as it is a bit different. And, of course, the POH rules.

Saab Dastard
23rd May 2006, 18:13
And the controls include the fuel tank selector - in the PA28 it's way down on the LHS!

Fuji Abound
23rd May 2006, 19:48
This one has been done before including the debate about the fuel selector in a PA28. The concensus then was there is no problem reaching the selector from the right hand seat so no problem flying from the right hand seat.

As others have said if you have never flown in the right hand seat try doing so a few times with another pilot or instructor. Most find the approach very unusual the first few times. I would guess there is a good chance of a very heavy landing or two if you try it by yourself. Also you should consider whether or not you could handle a FL from the right seat as well as from the left.

The other issue I dont think was previously mentioned is ensuring you have a reasonable view of the ASI. Whilst it is true you might not need an ASI to fly an approach it is no bad thing to be able to monitor the ASI in the normal way and to be aware that if it is well offset there may be some parallax error.

IO540
23rd May 2006, 20:08
The location of the fuel selector in a PA28 is considered to be a major fringe benefit by male instructors, with a female student in a skirt of the appropriate length ;)

EGCC4284
23rd May 2006, 20:49
From what I got told many years ago, if you fly solo, you have got to fly from the LHS in our C150.

If you have a passenger and even if they do not have a PPL, then you can fly from the RHS.

I have flown from the RHS for the last 5 years when I take someone up and I am not an instructor.

Lasiorhinus
28th May 2006, 14:56
Whenever I fly PA28s I prefer to fly from the Right hand seat. Aside from the benefits of being able to make sure all passengers are seated and belted in before I clamber in myself, the simple, selfish reason of being closest to the emergency exit is the deciding factor. The fuel selector isnt ever a problem - if i'm by myself, I just lean over and switch it. If I have passengers, its often possible to get them to move it for me (with, of course, appropriate monitoring and confirmation by myself also) otherwise I just reach past their legs.

Parallax error on the ASI is most pronounced at around 100 knots - and if you're flying Base or Final at 100 knots in a Cherokee then perhaps the choice of seat you're in isn't the biggest problem you have that day. Get the speeds down below 80 and parallax virtually disappears.
Each time I reset the DG, I just make it look right for me, which actually means I compensate for the error, and the person in the LHS actually sees a skewed DG. No dramas, it works for me.

However, after happily flying them from the RHS for many a moon (the operating handbook does not prohibit this in the PA28), I embarked on a survey of instructors around the country. This was, of course, an informal survey, but each and every instructor from expensive city-based schools informed me that it was either flat-out forbidden unless you have an instructors rating, or that one needed a specific RHS endorsement for the particular aircraft := Sorry, boys, there's no such thing!
Also without exception, the rural instructors who actually teach flying more so than obedience all told me that it was perfectly acceptable unless specifically restricted by the POH. This is the viewpoint that makes sense, and agrees with my own research.

The cynical side of me is amused that the schools who charged outrageously expensive rates were happy for me to undertake a few hours dual with them to be 'signed off' to fly RHS...

18greens
28th May 2006, 21:02
I'm sure it doesn't matter which side you sit on, but the first time you swap sides its a bit wierd. I vividly remenber trying to land my syndicate plane on the RHS with a safety pilot on LHS. The hand swap and ASI too far to the left made it vv hard. Shortly after the wiredness disappeared it was not a problem. Now I'm happy not to look at the ASI at all.

FlyFreeWbe
31st May 2006, 08:06
Shinty,

Maybe you should try and get some sort of flying time with someone who's experienced with flying RHS, not necessarily an instructor. There are certain clubs that will forbid flying from the RHS (their FO's, and most likely insurance, do not allow it).. then there are some clubs which will allow you to after being checked out for it. Then there are the wonderful clubs that actual give low hour courses to help you get aquainted with the idea - circuits / all types of landings / emergency procedures / general handling / etc

Of course, if you've got your own aircaft, I still recommend you do as above, but then the 'experienced RHS flyer' doesn't have to be an instructor.

.. I just realised that you wanted to fly RHS when alone, can I ask why? Or am I missing the obvious

englishal
31st May 2006, 08:17
I nearly crashed a Seneca on landing flying it from the RHS....I saw my life flash before my eyes and it scared the crap out of me. Funny how shifting a metre or so makes such a difference.

Since then I have done lots of RHS flying, I did most of my commercial training from the RHS (with a view to completing the CFI at a later date) and it soon became natural. Just be careful at first, you may find you have forgotten how to land!

Cheers

unfazed
31st May 2006, 08:42
Suggest that you check with the insurance company to see if they have a view on this, won't matter until after any claim but then you might find that they have a very firm view on which seat should be occupied by a non instructor PIC