PDA

View Full Version : Runway centreline lights

punkalouver
23rd May 2006, 14:53
"Some precision approach runways have centreline lights. They are slightly to the right or left of the runway centreline stripe. The lights are on the opposite side of the centreline stripe as the major taxiway turnoffs so that pilots will know where to look for runway exits in very low visibility. If the lights are to the left of the stripe, then the major taxiway turnoffs are presumably on the right side of the runway."

Is this just an American thing or does it apply to airports around the world? What if there are major taxiways on both sides of the runwa?

BLK 33
24th May 2006, 15:29
Here's a piccy (http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/aardvarkcentral/60percent.jpg) showing the northern runway at Heathrow where you'll see the painted white runway centreline is off-set to the north of the true middle of the runway, where the centreline lights are. The taxiway line is just visible under the aircraft, to the south (right) of the centreline. Were there a taxiway to the left in this picture then it would be on that, left, side of the centreline.
I can't think how it would be advantageous to have the turn-off start on the opposite side of the centreline to where it ultimately goes - if this really is the case? Maybe, though, it's just a question of what you get used to, but I would favour the way shown in the picture.
When I was first at Heathrow I was told the off-set painted runway centreline was for the benefit of the Trident drivers because they had an off-centre nosegear, but it has become a permanent fixture providing, in theory, a smoother ride for all.:hmm:

Spitoon
24th May 2006, 16:35
I don't think there are any rules on the subject.

The reason, and as far as I know the original reason for off-setting lights and paint markings, is to enable the lines to be painted more easily and to avoid the risk of spraying paint onto the lamp fittings.

Treetopflyer
24th May 2006, 17:28
Yes, this sounds simple enough to be the real reason for it...:D

punkalouver: just out of curiosity, where did you get this info from?