PDA

View Full Version : EASA Standard CofA Question

Oxeagle
23rd May 2006, 11:52
Hi Guys,
Myself and the other two members of my group are nearly ready to purchase an aircraft we have a deposit down on. This aircraft is on an EASA Standard CofA, which from my understanding means that it you have it maintained to a certain standard depending on what you use it for. It is currently used privately, so it is maintained as such. In our case we are going to be using it for PPL training and then hour building, so we have to keep it maintained as if it were on an old-style Public Transport CofA (Please correct me if i'm wrong!). This is was all fine, until the manager of my flying club e-mailed me telling me that we would have to get the CofA reissued as the aircraft will now be used for training. I didn't think this was the case with an EASA CofA, but now I am pretty worried! :uhoh:
Can anyone enlighten me as to who is right?

robin
23rd May 2006, 11:59
As I understand it, the EASA Standard CofA is issued to all EASA aircraft now. At that time you state whether or not you want to do aerial work (old Public Cat).

If you do you get a Certificate (of Release??) from the maintenance organisation, If not you don't. Any instructor will want to see this beforehand as he won't be allowed to charge for his time without it.

To get the certificate, the maintenance organisation may well want to reinspect the aircraft before issuing the new certificate, although that might depend on how much they know about the aircraft.

Of course, if you do upgrade, then you fall foul of the new engine time regs, so it might not even be possible if your engine is on condition, or if it has tripped the calendar life.

Oxeagle
23rd May 2006, 12:14
To get the certificate, the maintenance organisation may well want to reinspect the aircraft before issuing the new certificate, although that might depend on how much they know about the aircraft.

Of course, if you do upgrade, then you fall foul of the new engine time regs, so it might not even be possible if your engine is on condition, or if it has tripped the calendar life.

By certificate,do you mean certificate of release or airworthyness? I don't think it should fall foul of the new engine time regs, 328hrs TTE and TTAF :O

robin
23rd May 2006, 14:27
I'm open to correction, but the CofA is issued regardless. I'm not sure if the status of 'Aerial Work' is by Cert of Release to service or by Cert of Maintenance review

My toy has only 600hrs but is 12 years old, so will not be permitted to be on 'public cat' - EASA have introduced a calendar life as well as engine hours

idistech
6th Jun 2006, 21:11
I'm open to correction, but the CofA is issued regardless. I'm not sure if the status of 'Aerial Work' is by Cert of Release to service or by Cert of Maintenance review
My toy has only 600hrs but is 12 years old, so will not be permitted to be on 'public cat' - EASA have introduced a calendar life as well as engine hours

Ive heard a 'rumour'/gossip that this 12 year rule is only for aircraft that are being transfered to the register ( initial Application ) , but this is not seems to be the accepted view, does anybody know of where the guidence/rules are ?