PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL Across the FIR

On the Spot
22nd May 2006, 21:13
I got a completely useless response from the CAA today when I enquired about using my FAA PPL to pilot a G-reg aircraft into Europe. (I already knew I am limited to day VFR while in the UK)
The lady at the CAA advised that I would need to contact the airspace authority to check whether they would accept the situation.
Article 26 4(a) of the ANO indicates that an ICAO licence is valid as the UK is a contracting authority. When I fly across the FIR on my CAA PPL I don't ask permission, other than filing the customary flight plan. So why do I have to do any different on my FAA PPL.
To add to the confusion the rental company were told by the CAA that it was "not allowed".
Anyone have any more guidance or experience in this area ?

PPRuNe Radar
22nd May 2006, 21:45
Article 26 4(a) is one part of the jigsaw, but don't you also need to heed para 11 as well ??

(11) Notwithstanding anything in this article:

(a) the holder of a licence granted or rendered valid under this Order, being a licence endorsed to the effect that the holder does not satisfy in full the relevant minimum standards established under the Chicago Convention, shall not act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom in or over the territory of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom except in accordance with permission granted by the competent authorities of that State;

(b) the holder of a licence granted or rendered valid under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom, being a licence endorsed as aforesaid, shall not act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft in or over the United Kingdom except in accordance with permission granted by the CAA, whether or not the licence is or is deemed to be rendered valid under this Order.

Does a FAA PPL have an endorsement placed on it under the Chicago Convention ? [para (a) would then apply]

I am thinking specifically about the fact that the FAA Class 3 Medical does not meet the standards.

Paragraph 2.3.1.6 of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention requires that private pilots should hold a Class 2 medical certificate. The US has filed a difference to this standard which states that "Private pilots shall meet the requirements of an FAA Third Class Medical Certificate, which does not fully comply with the ICAO Class 2 Medical Certificate." This can be found in the Supplement to Annex 1.

If that is still the case then para 11 (a) only allows you to fly a G reg in the UK. You'd need the ruling of the contracting State if you wished to fly a G reg elsewhere on a FAA PPL.

My interpretation anyway :ok:

PS Englishal got this response from France :ok:

I also wrote to the French authorities and asked if I could fly a G reg aeroplane on my FAA ticket into French airspace. They said that as long as the CAA allowed me to fly the G reg, then they would as well.

Henry Hallam
22nd May 2006, 21:55
I emailed the CAA and was referred to LASORS section A7:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=68&groupid=780

Which seems to make it pretty clear that it is ok.
If in doubt you could always take a JAA medical.

PPRuNe Radar
22nd May 2006, 22:49
3. PROCEDURES FOR VALIDATION OF A PRIVATE PILOT LICENCE ISSUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ICAO ANNEX 1.

3.1 Private Pilot Licences (Aeroplane or Helicopter)

The holder of a PPL (Aeroplane or Helicopter), issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 (Personnel Licensing) and holding at least a Class 1 or 2 Medical Certificate, is automatically validated for the exercise of PPL privileges and associated aircraft ratings within the State on an aircraft used in the private category, as permitted by the Certificate of Airworthiness issued by its state of registry, under VFR by day only, in accordance with paragraph (2) of Article 3 of the Directive and paragraph (10) of Article 5, of the Irish Aviation Authority (Personnel Licensing) Order, (S.I. No 333 of 2000), as amended.

But you couldn't fly on an EI Reg with an FAA PPL anywhere unless you held a Class 1 or 2 Medical. Presumably they accept N Reg and G Reg flown by FAA PPLs with Class 3 in their airspace though .... it doesn't say they won't ;)

Looking through several other JAA States documentation reveals a similar story, the standards of Annex 1 must be met by the ICAO licence issued. An FAA Class 3 would not be good enough.

That said, as pointed out in LASORS, the UK say it is no problem (or rather they don't say it is a problem which is what they are supposed to do if they need to impose conditions), so a flight in a G Reg abroad appears to be no problem as long as you comply with appropriate FAA and UK Regs as well as the law of the State you are flying in and any conditions they place on G Reg ops.

Probably just another good example of how the ideals of international standardisation get blurred when each nation adds in its own little foibles and differences. :{

On the Spot
23rd May 2006, 09:30
As I don't have annex 1 of the Chicago convention I am a little hampered regardng the medical. It does seem illogical if I can fly an N-reg aircraft on a class 3 FAA medical but not the same aircraft with a G on the tail. Could that be the result of the UK moving PPL's onto class 2 some years ago ?
The Lasors / ANO stuff seems pretty straightforward.
I see that I can validate my FAA licence for use in France by supplying some paperwork and waiting a month which would seem to indicate that a class 3 is also no problem there, but that does not solve the problem. Currently awaiting a response from the French Civil Aviation Directorate via the website.