PDA

View Full Version : Approach Chart Viewer - paperless cockpit

nouseforaname
22nd May 2006, 09:18
I'm looking to buy a chart viewer so that I can view my Jepp. IFR approach charts on a tabloid type computer, does anyone know if Jepp. make a specific Chart Viewer piece of hardware that you can buy from somewhere? I've trauled through their webpage and couldn't find anything.

Anyone got any experience?

Superpilot
22nd May 2006, 09:29
I Gargled http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-20,GGLD:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=jeppesen+electronic+charts&spell=1

And I found Jeppview (http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.jsp?section=about&content=product_efb.jsp)....

How hard did you really try? ;)

drauk
22nd May 2006, 09:34
Jeppesen don't make one. What they do make is software to view their electronic charts, which is called JeppView. As it seems with most things to do with aviation, their technology isn't great and nor is their online marketing, so figuring out their product range isn't as easy as it should be.

Once you've got the software (about €1500 for Europe, including a subscription for the updated plates) you need the hardware. It will run on any modern Windows XP computer, though obviously a tablet style machine suits a cockpit much better than a laptop with a keyboard. The big thing here is having a display that works well in direct sunlight. The Motion LS800 with ViewAnywhere screen is a good choice if you want something small. You can't easily view a full height plate on it though, without scrolling and zooming in and out. For that you'd need a bigger device which can be cumbersome, depending on what you fly. Motion make a 1600 model with the same screen.

[Sarcastic superpilot, how hard did you really try to read the question? He wants hardware.]

IO540
22nd May 2006, 10:09
IMHO the Motion 1600 is too big (width x length) for cockpit use.

The LS800 looks a lot better, and it does display the two essential portions of the Jeppview plate adequately. JV plates were (apparently) designed to work on 800x600. A lot of pilots still use the old Fujitsu LTP600 tablet; they come up cheap on Ebay.

There isn't a perfect solution on the market; an LS800 with a 1024x768 LCD and half as thick would come close though.

There are "certified" display devices for airliner/bizjet cockpit use. You get two of them; they are just thin lightweight LCD panels connected with a cable to a remote computer box installed in the aircraft, and the only control seems to be a brightness knob. One has dual redundant power supplies, etc. I don't have the URL handy; it's an American product. Very expensive.

nouseforaname
22nd May 2006, 10:19
took the words out of my mouth DRAUK!

Thanks fella's, i'll keep an eye on ebay for one of these. I already have the Europe Jep. coverage but using it on my laptop really isn't friendly in the cockpit. Especially if i've got someone in the right hand seat!

Any more info much appreciated. TD

atb1943
24th May 2006, 23:23
Nouse

Tbe Internet is full of useful stuff. Try poking 'tablet pcs for jeppview' into Google for example.
The Jepp website also lists several if you can find them. Go to products...charting...ifr....jeppview...jv for flitedeck and click on the blue link at the bottom for more info.

Jim Thorpe recently did a writeup on tablets in a recent pp/ir mag, but did not include the ls800. pm me for a copy (not until next week when I get back).
Happy Father's Day (here, today)!

Hope this helps

atb