PDA

View Full Version : Cat III & MLS

Brian Abraham
22nd May 2006, 04:34
From www.defensedaily.com/cgi/av/show_mag.cgi?pub=av&mon=0403&file=0403mls.htm “Generally, Cat III operations are flown to touchdown under autopilot control. However, while Cat IIIc operations are well within the capabilities of current automatic flight control systems, relatively few airports have installed surface movement guidance systems (SMGS) that can accurately lead an aircraft to the terminal in almost zero visibility.”
Questions – Do any airports have SMGS to allow Cat IIIc
What are the nominal (typical) alternate minima for Cat IIIb

wikipedia
“MLS continues to be of some interest in Europe, where concerns over the availability of GPS continue to be an issue. A widespread installation in England is currently underway, which included installing MLS receivers on most British Airways aircraft, but the continued deployment of the system is in doubt.”
Is anybody actually using MLS in day to day ops?
Many thanks

vapilot2004
22nd May 2006, 08:36
I have never flown an MLS approach - a few years back it was supposed to be the next best thing coming - then pffffft, nothing.

Quite a few airports here in the states do have the system.

The US military needs to assure the world that the degraded GPS signals will always be available - perhaps even partner with a few of our English-speaking cousins on this. :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd May 2006, 08:54
<<Questions – Do any airports have SMGS to allow Cat IIIc>>

I am not aware of any automated such system, but plenty of airfields have very good surface radar which is more than capable. Taxiway lighting systems which can lead aircraft off the runway and take them virtually to their stand have been in use for 40 years or more.

TopBunk
22nd May 2006, 10:17
HD

I thought that Cat 3C allowed 0m RVR landings, whereas the best we have now is Cat 3B with 75m minimum RVR.

The problem with (much) less than 75m, is that once the aircraft has brought you successfully to a halt on the centreline, the pilot has then to take control to the gate. Obviously, while the taxiway lighting may be excellent, then ultimately in true 0 RVR conditions, you can see **** all, and that is the problem. Thus 75m RVR remains the operational minima.