PDA

View Full Version : Will I get a job?

JET_A1
20th May 2006, 10:36
Hi Guys & Gals,

Quick question. I have recently gained my CPL and hold a current class 1 medical in New Zealand. It has been a hell of a job getting my class 1 medical but finally got it.

I have one restriction on it which states I must inform any accompanying pilot of my monocular vision.

Getting a job with the small guys should not be a problem but really want to fly the heavy's once i've done my time.

Will most of the large airlines frown apon this? Does anyone know of pilots who fly the heavy's with one eye?????

Just knowing of one would keep me in this great adventure of pursuing a career in Aviation.:)

Martin1234
20th May 2006, 11:21
If I interpret what you write in a correct way you normally only have to tell the pilot you are flying with once you sit in the cockpit with fare paying passengers (your first flight with the company). You normally don't exercise the privileges of the medical with the company before you have your type rating and job so you should not be obliged to tell your employer. You normally don't exercise the privileges of the medical when under instruction or flying in a simulator.

Oh that's super!
21st May 2006, 15:13
Will most of the large airlines frown apon this? Does anyone know of pilots who fly the heavy's with one eye?????

It could depend on whether the airline in question has their own medical standards that are more stringent than the Class 1 or not.

JET_A1
22nd May 2006, 21:10
thanks for the advice Martin1234. i guess not much can be done but to get out there and see. just hope some airlines look only at the CAA MED requirments. :)

Becker Junior
24th May 2006, 10:56
I have a similar problem. I lost some of my left eye vision 8 years ago when i was already flying for a big company in Brazil. Im still flying for them today, but did a screening process for flying for another one still here in Brazil and it seemed to be ok so far. Im also trying to get the FAA class 1 medcial and JAA in order to fly for an european airline. So it is pretty much how your future airline will deal with these problem. Lets keep in touch for any new information. Best regards.

JET_A1
24th May 2006, 18:37
Hey there Becker. Thats great to hear. Im sure it will prove to be hard work but I don't think I will ever give up! It would be great to keep in contact to hear how you go in Europe.

Best Wishes

Alex:)