PDA

View Full Version : Mental Skills?

Low Fidelity
18th May 2006, 16:30
Good day,

I'm a PhD student at Cranfield University, working within the Flight Operations research department of the Human Factors group.

I'm currently researching how flight deck automation affects the various mental skills that pilots require to fly a modern commercial aircraft. However literature can only get me so far. To progress I really need to interview highly experienced pilots (with plenty of time on a highly automated type) who can describe what mental activities they perform during a flight. I'm therefore calling for willing participants.

Describing what you think about when you perform a well practised activity can be difficult because such activities become automatic to you. To help I have developed a set of questions that should hopefully elicit the right information. The entire interview lasts approximately 3 hours (I know it sounds long but there is a nice break for coffee in the middle!).

If you think you may be able to help please PM me, or if you prefer I can PM my details to you. Please note that unfortunately I have no budget for this activity and so won’t be able to offer remuneration. I can however travel to you if that is a more suitable location than Cranfield.

I understand that pilots are very busy people and 3 hours is a lot of your time, but please be assured that this research is being conducted by a keen student with a professional attitude, and I have taken a lot of time to understand the domain. Obviously any information collected will be treated in confidence and de-identified.

Many thanks for reading

Kind regards

Matt