PDA

View Full Version : TMG & SLMG

Dope
18th May 2006, 15:37
Has anyone managed to navigate LASORS successfully to add a SLMG or TMG to their UK PPL? :ugh:

MyData
18th May 2006, 16:24
Whats a SLMG or TMG?

dublinpilot
18th May 2006, 17:33
I know it's not of much help, but my IAA issued JAA PPL SEP(Land) came with a TMG rating automatically. I didn't have to do any extra test or paper work for it, it was simply on the licence I got after my skills test.

dp

SNAFU.
18th May 2006, 18:35
Whats a SLMG or TMG?

Self Launching Motor Glider or Touring motor Glider.

I would also be interested to find out the hoops you need to jump through to add these to your licence.

ringo_1
18th May 2006, 19:30
I'm just about to add the TMG to my JAR SEP. There are no minimum hours needed. All you have to do is pass the GFT which i gather is general handling plus stopping/starting the engine in flight and maybe an engine off landing.
I think the average training time taken is around 5 hours with no gliding experience.

Flik Roll
18th May 2006, 19:42
it used to be automatically given as part of the PPL before the JAA stuff came in a few years back or whenever it was.

Dope
18th May 2006, 19:46
MyData
Most Self Launch Motor Gliders are also rated as Touring Motor Gliders the only limitations relate to folding propellers and retractable engine pods.
dublinpilot
[I know it's not of much help, but my IAA issued JAA PPL SEP(Land) came with a TMG rating automatically. I didn't have to do any extra test or paper work for it, it was simply on the licence I got after my skills test]
when did you get your JAA PPL SEP issued? You just did a normal SEP skills test?
SNAFU
Oh boy have I got some hoops for you....You can get an SLMG 'Certificate of Test' quite easily - however hours flown in your TMG/SLMG will not count towards the upkeep of your SEP. If you want your hours to count you must get a 'Licence Skill Test' on your SEP licence. NPPL is another story.
ringo_1
Thanks, Finding a TMG Examiner is the real trick! John Marriott at Bicester is good news.

dublinpilot
18th May 2006, 20:48
Dude,

My IAA issued JAA PPL was issued July 2002. But remember it was issued by the IAA and not the CAA.

I just did the normal SEP test.

dp

ringo_1
19th May 2006, 09:05
Thanks, Finding a TMG Examiner is the real trick! John Marriott at Bicester is good news.

I beleive that Enstone have a TMG Examiner too. That's where I'm planning to do the GFT.

Dope
21st May 2006, 08:05
Thanks everyone, I have a combined SEP 2 yearly re-val and TMG Skills test on Thursday.... lets see what happerns...
What cracks me up about the whole system is that one could fly a SLMG&TMG rated aircraft on DAY 1 under a SLMG rating and not be able to claim the hours towards the upkeep of ones SEP - then post the SLMG cert to the CAA and then DAY 2 fly the same aeroplane with no further testing claim the hours towards your SEP !:confused:

Dope
8th Jun 2006, 19:28
:D I checked out ok for TMG and the same flight was also a SEP 2 yr revalidation. All for £65!!!! Oh and a long motorbike ride, but it was worth it.

ringo_1
8th Jun 2006, 20:05
Same here. I ended up going to Hinton in the hedges.
I was a little surprised to have to do some nav but other than that it was the usual steep turns, PFLs etc.
Have got a share in a lovely G109b and am loving the new challenge!
Enjoy!