PDA

View Full Version : Nylon/Polyester Flying Jackets

Ridgerunner
17th May 2006, 15:45
Hello folks,

I have recently bought a cheap US Airman replica jacket from e-bay. It is pretty good for what I paid for it and has all the flying jacket pockets etc, but is made from 100% Nylon outer coating and Polyester lining. That thing is gonna go like a bonfire if it catches alight, so I am hesitant to wear it for flying. I actually got it instead of Transair or Flightstore's jackets which are almost exactly the same, and are made of exactly the same materials also, only three times the price! So it isn't cause the jacket was cheap, but whats more the Alpha Industries USAF flight jacket cost £90 and is exactly the same materials. Am I being pedantic and paranoid here or should I be concerned that in a crash I would go up in flames?

RR

Superpilot
17th May 2006, 16:03
Mine comes off within 15 minutes regardless of how cold it is.

Looks good when your doing your walkarounds, but thats about it. :hmm:

Lister Noble
17th May 2006, 16:15
http://www.av8-pilotshop.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=17

Swansea flying club 100% cotton flying jacket.
Around £50

Lister:)

ChampChump
17th May 2006, 17:20
www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184109&highlight=flying+jackets+fire
I'm not good at copying links (obviously), but I recall the subject was discussed at length a while back. Many useful comments for your perusal!

stiknruda
17th May 2006, 19:43
RidgeRunner,

If you're the sort of guy that would buy a plastic jacket from EBay, you're probably the sort of guy that would wear wear polyester briefs.:\

I suggest cotton!:E

Stik