PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities beyond ATCO

daz_20
17th May 2006, 09:23
Hi there,

I had my medical the other day to become a trainee ATCO, and although I havnt received the results yet, it is not looking promising as I failed the plate and lattern tests, so I am expecting to have my conditional offer of employment rejected.

I am really intersted in working in this line of employment, and was just wondering if anyone on here knows of other opportunities available?

Would be really grateful as really need a boost at the mo, having had one foot in the door to getting into ATCO college.

Cheers

Neptune262
17th May 2006, 11:06
Ever thought of being an Air Traffic Control Assistant?

daz_20
17th May 2006, 13:41
Hey Neptune, yes have heard about this one but have been told by a friend that NATS aren't currently recruiting for assistants? Will still apply through the recruitment website though just in case.

If anyone knows of other positions I'd be very grateful to hear

Thanks

D

anotherthing
17th May 2006, 16:13
DAZ

the days of the assistant are numbered in NATS unfortunately. There will still be some, but NATS is trying to cut down the numbers drastically over the next few years, so job security for new joiners would not be great.

How about trying the Crabs (RAF) as an assistant - you could then move onto Flight OPS if you wanted a change of scenery. The job experience of both would give you scope to do work in civvy street when you left (though maybe not as one of the few remaining assistants).

If you are young, you could have a great time in the forces before becoming a bit more sensible and hitting civvy street.

Good luck whatever happens

booke23
17th May 2006, 19:00
Nats does still recruit ATSA's externally......albeit usually only ACPO's (pseudo pilots) at Hurn, LTCC, Manchester and maybe Swanwick. The company has been trying to reduce ATSA numbers for many years.....with only some success. Although there are projects on the horizon that look more promising at reducing atsa numbers.

A number of factors are against you......Namely that alot of current ACPO positions are now being filled by failed TATC's........and there are plenty of those around at the moment.

All new appointments into the above posts are variable contracts..........ie non permanent staff. (1 months notice of termination with no pay off) This is to try to reduce/dispence with the need to pay redundancy to permanent staff in any future staff reduction situation. (which tends to get expensive in Nats)

The problem at the moment is that we have no indication as to the number of assistants that will be lost in the future..........everybody agrees there will be a reduction, but no one can predict numbers. If the number is anything up to say....50% of Assistants at a unit, it's perfectly feesable that this number could be absorbed by Natural wastage and staff transferes.

So it is possible to get employment as an assistant in Nats. But long term future may be uncertian......or it may not.....depending on what happens!

mocoman
17th May 2006, 22:52
the days of the assistant are numbered in NATS unfortunately. There will still be some, but NATS is trying to cut down the numbers drastically over the next few years, so job security for new joiners would not be great

I had a feeling that would be the case...:{

daz_20
18th May 2006, 09:38
Thanks people thats really helpful, the RAF option looks a very interesting one

Thanks for the help

Daz

anotherthing
18th May 2006, 10:16
Mocoman

I was maybe painting a little bit too much of a dreary picture, as booke23 says, there will still be a need for blip drivers, but NATS are wanting to cut assistant numbers within the operational environment by a large percentage... unfortunately (again as Booke23 states) the contracts being handed out nowadays are not the best with regards to job security.

ATSA_Grunt
8th Jun 2006, 14:20
The ATSA grade is being phased out (IFACTS/CASPIAN etc..). However there are still current shortages. These posts need to be filled. The unions have agreed with NATS that they can now employ Variable Contract Staff (VCS). So you could gain employment on a contract basis. As to what grade and pay you would be on I dont know. You are (as far as I can remember) as a VCS entitled to apply for internal vacancies just like everybody else. If this is the case this may be an option for you.

Through the rumour mill I have also heard that Prospect/PCS are in talks with NATS management to make it easier for ATSA's to become ATCO's. i.e removing the need for testing and the current interview procedure. This as I understand it would be done on some form of practical assessment.

As well as this more and more jobs are noew being opened up for ATSA's to apply for. Posts that previously might not have been available, which is good.

Best of luck mate..

ATSA_Grunt
8th Jun 2006, 14:21
Providing you can at least spell!! (see above)

chevvron
8th Jun 2006, 14:32
ATSA's are only being phased out at Control Centres, there will always be a need for them at airfields

ATSA_Grunt
8th Jun 2006, 14:34
Well NATS is introducing EPS (eradication of paper strips), so even in the towers its happening