PDA

View Full Version : FI to Training Captain

Jinkster
16th May 2006, 21:46
Its very early days and I am currently doing my Flying Instructor rating.

I have spoke to a few people and they have mentioned not having to do something or other if you become Training Captain in the future.

Just wondered if anyone could enlighten me!

Many thanks,

Jinkster :)

banana head
17th May 2006, 00:20
I have spoke to a few people and they have mentioned not having to do something or other if you become Training Captain in the future.

1. Be on time into work.
2. Hear or acknowledge an ATC clearance first time.
3. Wear a small or inexpensive wristwatch.
4. Walkarounds!

... the list goes on!

On a more serious note, are you required to do a 'core skills course' now under JAR in order to become a CRI (class rating instructor)? If so you would not have to repeat this course for a TRI/ SFI and eventually an IRE/TRE.

Can't think of anything else....

CheekyVisual
17th May 2006, 08:17
There is no dispensation for any FI ratings when you are put forward for training. However, having spoken to a few friends who have followed this route right through to training the experience from having instructed and having taught is invaluable when you do the core course and other related teaching items.
As a line pilot I can always tell which trainers have been instructors in a previous life. They know how to teach where as most of those who haven't only know how to criticise !

BizJetJock
17th May 2006, 13:58
Not quite correct, CV; the CAA will credit you the core course if you have held a
FI rating within the last five years. Of course, it may be your company's policy to get everyone to do it anyway as a brush-up never does any harm and it costs next to nothing compared to the rest of the course.