PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Insurance

Oxeagle
15th May 2006, 07:48
Hi there,
I'm currently looking at insurance quotes for a Taylorcarft F22A that myself and 2 other student PPLs are going to use to finish our PPLs on and use to hour build. Can anyone suggest to me a decent insurance company with low rates?
Cheers :ok:

IO540
15th May 2006, 09:02
Contact Haywards Aviation initially. Many of the brokers advertising in the mags in fact go through them and split the commission with them.

SkyHawk-N
15th May 2006, 10:53
HSBC seemed quite competetive when I got a quote from them.

IO540
15th May 2006, 11:43
Be careful.

Both Haywards and HSBC are brokers, not underwriters. These then go to Lloyds underwriters. If an underwriter gets an enquiry for the same plane from two (or more) different brokers, the way it is supposed to work is that the first one gets a quote and subsequent ones are blocked for 30 days. In reality, the way it works is that the first one gets a quote, and if the underwriter sees more of them he gets p1ssed off, refuses further quotes and sometimes increases the original quote by a hefty chunk, to make the point that punters that shop around aren't welcome.

I learnt this the hard way.

Like much of aviation, aviation insurance is a dirty business.

Oxeagle
15th May 2006, 12:52
Thanks for your recommendations guys. IO540, you may have just saved me from making a rather costly mistake, cheers! :ok:

BlueRobin
15th May 2006, 14:44
When we bought our aeroplane 2 years ago, Haywards gave us the best rate. £1700 for full cover to 45 grand hull insurance (its worth less), Crown indemnity, German and Danish cover. They were also happy to cover 2 of us with under 100 hours and low tailwheel time. They also insist on a whole HOUR's checkride with the policy holder. Given what we have, it should be a whole load more!