PDA

View Full Version : A/C Share

Mark 3:16
14th May 2006, 18:19
Hi all,

I'm only 3 hours into PPL trainin at the moment, and have been shafted by the weather at the moment, as a few of us I imagine. I don't have a bottomless pit of money set aside for training, and obviously having to go over the basic exercises again, having not flown for 2-3 weeks, is a pain and eats into the money and progress.

USA is not an option for me. I have recently been offered the possibility of a share in a C150 - same type as I am training in - for £1500. The resulting monthly payments are low and I think I am allowed up to 10 bookings a month on the a/c.

The whole thing seems far more cost effective than shelling out around £130 a lesson/hour which I am doing at the moment. Share has been muted by a family friend, who also co-owns,so all above board.

A/C is co-owned by 20 others, so I have some concerns about availabilty for when I want to fly, but this generally seems to offer far more potential flying and instruction for my money than currently.

Has anyone else gone down this route? Any pitfalls/advantages in your opinion? :confused:

Any opinons gratefully recieved.

Cheers
Mark :ok:

foxmoth
14th May 2006, 18:35
Two things to check, Is it maintained to PT standards and does the insurance cover training. Without these two you cannot train on it, both can be sorted but you may need to pay more to get this done.

Mark 3:16
14th May 2006, 18:51
Thank you foxmoth,

I believe that the group are allowed one Student Pilot in the group at anyone time - they recently had one who has now qualified. I imagine therefore insurance is ok, but will of course check further, along with the maintenance issues.

Cheers
Mark

MyData
14th May 2006, 19:08
Mark stated...

having to go over the basic exercises again

Don't be too downhearted. Once you have the basics covered you still have to get 45hrs of flying in and in that time you will get plenty of opportunity to get the basics nailed and then more time to hone your skills. It is frustrating at the start, I had a very very slow first few months but once you get to progress you can do more and more - your instructor might be happy to take you up in 'bumpy' weather, or even to go above the clouds for some action. Then when you have solo'd you can go off on your own to build up your XC confidence and before you know it you will be getting close to 45hrs and looking to fill in the hours with more practice to get your total time and solo time up to the right levels.

So you might not have a bottomless pit of money, but you will need at least enough to get you to 45hrs so plan it that way.

MikeAlphaBravo
14th May 2006, 19:20
Mark, I co-own a nice C150 at Barton and may be able to help.
I have PM'd my contact number to you if you want to know more.
Cheers,
MAB

foxmoth
14th May 2006, 19:36
I believe that the group are allowed one Student Pilot in the group at anyone time

If the group is set up like that then you should be good to go - good luck and enjoy it.:ok:

bencoulthard
14th May 2006, 20:17
Some enquiries I made this week were on a similar topic.

You don't need a PT CofA if you own the plane or part own it, the student pilot issue is with the insurance, usually 1 per group as someone said above.

1 thing that strikes me here though, if money is an issue so much is buying into a potential bottomless pit right for you?

Another thing I think MikeAlphaBravo maybe someone I know in a disguise:hmm:, if it is him and it is the plane i'm thinking of then it is a real tidy machine and it would have been sold to me if I wasn't so fat.

Best regards

Ben

MikeAlphaBravo
14th May 2006, 20:24
Ok Ben, you got me!:)

foxmoth
15th May 2006, 06:51
You don't need a PT CofA if you own the plane or part own it
I think you will find this is wrong! :=You are OK if you own the aircraft yourself (and also OK for owners immediate family), but if it is a share you do need the PT CofA unless the instruction is done as a private flight and the instructor is not paid (ref -http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF)

f money is an issue so much is buying into a potential bottomless pit right for you? As a part owner this is not usually a major problem as (especially in a larger group) the bills are shared and the reduced flying costs likely to more than compensate if you do get this happening (after all, the hirer gets these bills and just builds them into the hire rate)