PDA

View Full Version : 1000hr V IR

JK32
14th May 2006, 15:55
Hello

Just wondering if i could get some guidance , just about to start my training , would eventually like to fly North sea ,
Which is best building ? Up the 1000 hours in a piston or just have your atpl 200 hrs and an IR ratinig .:ugh:
Any help is much appreciated

helicopter-redeye
14th May 2006, 17:50
Assuming a "classical" approach of CPL then IR, you would have in excess of 200hrs if you had an IR(H). You would also need in excess of 200hrs for an ATPL(H).

Is there a right answer to the question anyway other than "it depends" (on market forces at a given point in time)?

Camp Freddie
14th May 2006, 18:21
Hey Mr JK

assuming the point of your IR is to get a job with CHC, Bristow or bond, you have to bear in mind where they are in the recruitment cycle.

for example CHC hired s*** loads of people in 2001, and then basically nobody in 2002, 2003, 2004 and then since mid 2005 they have hired loads of people, but it will stop again soon I should think.

so your IR now would be good, but maybe useless in 1 years time, who knows, its all about risk taking and timing and a plan B if it doesnt work out,

personally I would spent the money on hourbuilding, get an instructor rating, build up your hours that way, keep in touch with offshore and hopefully get an IR later (subject to the 3 year rule).

IR + no job and no instructor rating is a clear and present danger.

regards

CF

JK32
16th May 2006, 03:38
Thank you helicopter-redeye and Camp Freddie , the information is much appreciated . Still unsure what to do , it's a big amount of money either way , at least i have more info to make the choice easier.

Thanks again:ok:

Heliport
16th May 2006, 06:45
Lots more information here: Frequently Asked Training Questions (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122944)