PDA

View Full Version : Life insurance

kevmusic
13th May 2006, 08:03
Hi all. Anyone know of a an insurance company that will do life cover at a good rate on PPLs? I haven't started yet but my wife wants that peace of mind sorted. (How unreasonable can you get? :rolleyes: )

Kev

IO540
13th May 2006, 08:15
Most insurers will cover you fine if you say you plan to fly less than 50 (occassionally 100) hours a year.

That has to be provably the case when you start the cover; afterwards you can fly as much as you like.

Some brokers advertise in the back of the aviation mags, claiming special deals for pilots. In reality these tend to be just the standard 50/100hr deals, but they are worth a look. I recall Legal & General features prominently among them.

Much over 100hrs will be a bit of a problem; you end up paying more.

So if you haven't started flying yet, now's the time to do this - you don't have a problem because you aren't flying at all!

MyData
13th May 2006, 08:51
I called my insurance company. Told them I was a private pilot. The response was "And?...", well I explained that I thought I should tell them. "No, no problem at all".

Seemed a bit too easy. So I left it a couple of days and called again. Got someone different at the call centre. Asked again, and got the same response. I even suggested I put something in writing to them. I was told there was no need to.

I wasn't asked about hours, I just confirmed that I was a *private* pilot and all was done. I read all the policy docs and there was no mention of flying at all either as an accepted or excluded activity.

But I'm still not 100% happy that I am covered - I might call them again soon as it was a couple of years ago.

Cricket23
13th May 2006, 09:48
Mydata, I had pretty much the same response as yourself, and like you thought it was too easy, so I had them confirm it in writing to me.

My company also provide (free) life cover insurance at 4 times your salary. When I asked them about flying, they replied,'yes, you are covered, as long as you don't fly in a war zone!'

C23