PDA

View Full Version : Flight Computers during Examination

acuba 290
13th May 2006, 01:02
Hallo everybody!
Can somebody tell me please if it in UK permitted to use Flight Computers like from ASA CX-2 Pathfinder during theoretical examination?
I know, it was not common with JAR, but in Germany friend of mine could use it 2 weeks ago.They said, that it is not prohibited, it just have to be calculator without text-entering function, also not PDA or something like that..

SKYYACHT
13th May 2006, 20:39
As far as I am aware, the use of a claculator is permitted provided that it is not programmeable/text entering. Most students that I deal with seem to be familiar with the Pooley's CRP-1 or CRP-5 Daltons computer. Once mastered, it is easy to use, and never needs a new battery. It is also immune to signal loss, and is FM immune.

Cheers

:)

acuba 290
13th May 2006, 20:44
thanx for answer. can i read it somethere where it stay in some rules officially, that ASA is not prohibited?

S-Works
13th May 2006, 20:56
Well they would not let me use it on my IR exams!

Human Factor
13th May 2006, 21:55
To be honest, with a bit of practice it's just as easy to use a CRP-1 or CRP-5. As someone pointed out, the batteries won't run out.

acuba 290
13th May 2006, 22:33
yes, but time for navigation exam is limited, so ASA saves time at exam. I think it is more important as battery;)

S-Works
13th May 2006, 23:23
Yes time is limited, as I recall it was a question every 2 minutes. But we do not live in enlightened times as far as the JAA are concerned so electronic gadgets are the work of the devil. The only approved tool is the CRP computer so you will have to learn to use it like the rest of us.

It would indeed be easy to do the exams with the electronic version, just plug in the numbers and out pops the answer!

I do have a used only for the exams CRP5 for sale though as I much prefer my ASA computer for real world planning!

As for the tosh about batteries, show me a pilot who can do calcs on a CRP while keeping an aircraft sunny side up in IMC hand flying and I will show you an MS Sim Jock with a pause button........

acuba 290
14th May 2006, 00:24
so, can somebody provide me a link, where it stays officially, that use of flight computers is permitted, please?

S-Works
14th May 2006, 09:47
Ther is no link as flight computers are NOT permitted with the exception of the CRP series of slide rule computers. i.e. electronic flight computers are not permitted.

When I firsdt did my Exams at Gatwick it was the first question I asked, showed the invigilator mine and she confiscated it for the duration of the exam!

IO540
14th May 2006, 10:02
Clearly the FAA, with its aircraft population exceeding the rest of the known universe's about 10 times, has got it wrong, and N-reg planes are plummetting from the sky everywhere, because their pilots are trying to do wind correction calculations and are finding their batteries have gone flat.

:ugh:

Is there any other human activity that is more anally retentive than this?

The stupid ridiculous slide rule (which, incidentally, I do know how to use from first principles having used them for real engineering calcs in the late 1960s) belongs into an era long displaced by those weird gadgets with buttons on them, powered by either daylight, or by batteries that last far longer than most users can remember.

:yuk:

tyro
15th May 2006, 15:30
I used an E6B application on a PDA for the PPL written exams. I never managed to find a reference anywhere specifically allowing or prohibiting its use. So instead I asked the CFI who, in turn, asked the CAA. The answer came back that it would be okay to use it for gound exams, but not in the air!
Being the traditional way that pilots do their maths, does not make use of a mechanical slide rule the only legitimate way. If the CAA really thought like that, then other modern innovations would also be excluded from the PPL syllabus. Starter motors, tricycle landing gear, and monoplanes would all be out, and flying would be learned on something that pre-dates "Stick and Rudder".

englishal
15th May 2006, 15:58
The only approved tool is the CRP computer so you will have to learn to use it like the rest of us.
You can then promptly forget how to use it like the rest of us......:}

Do your flight test in America in a Garmin 1000 or similar equipped aeroplane. They you can use full moving map GPS, full fuel planning, full weather, and yes, it'll even tell you when the engine has failed and the best glide speed. Oh and don't forget, leave your paper charts at home, you no longer need them, though I'm sure the examiner will expect you to be able to enter the route into the GPS flight plan, and expect you to be able to use the autopilot on your travels / diversion. :)

Lister Noble
15th May 2006, 18:05
I have sat all my ground exams in the last 9 months ( and passed!) using no devilish electronic devices as I was told that I could not use any form of electronic calculator at all for my exams.
When I did my QXC etc I asked the CFI ,tongue in cheek, if I could use any of the electronics as the aircraft had all the usual stuff plus GPS.
He told me that the equipment was in the aircraft and who would know?
Any way I didn't use any of it but did ask for QDM's at both airports,so whats the difference?

By the way you are receiving this via smoke signals
Lister
;)

Saab Dastard
15th May 2006, 18:53
it would be okay to use it for gound exams, but not in the air

Unless you carry a spare on a string around your neck - oh no, that's glasses, sorry.

foxmoth
15th May 2006, 19:20
Once you are in the air there is only one bit of calculating equipment needed - does not need batteries and is hands free.
What is this magic bit of kit - The brain! All you need is a bit of very simple programming and you can do all the required working out to a satisfactory degree of accuracy. Also works for gross error checking on the more accurate electronic and mechanical calculating devices.:ok: ;)

IO540
15th May 2006, 20:37
Very true - one can easily work out what is needed using simple rules of thumb. Max drift = 1/3 of wind (at 120/140kt), and VS for climbs/descents is 200ft/min for each 1000ft to gain or lose (10nm to run). In 600hrs I haven't yet had to know more, but to be fair the GPS displays all esle I need.

Which makes a mockery of the sub-1 degree precision required from the circular slide rule in order to choose the right multiple choice answer in the nav exams.