PDA

View Full Version : How do you tow a banner?

Cricket23
10th May 2006, 21:39
...I know carefully!

A non flying friend of mine was asking how it's done and I must admit I haven't a clue. For instance, do you take-off with the thing dragging behind you, or is deployed in some way?

What about landing, is there some kind of release mechanism over a drop zone ?

C23

172driver
10th May 2006, 21:57
.... behind the airplane ! :E

bencoulthard
10th May 2006, 22:19
blu-tac and string is a safe bet i reckon:}

RatherBeFlying
11th May 2006, 02:29
I've seen it, but not flown it.

The banner is laid out along the ground. The towing loop is held in the air with posts that won't do too much damage to the airframe should they chance to contact same. The tow pilot releases a grapnel and snags the loop with it. The banner is unrolled from the ground. After display, the tow hook is released over a spot that accommodates the banner.

I would think that a dynamic rope would be better for a banner snatch, as opposed to glider tow ropes which are generally static ropes.

Cricket23
11th May 2006, 07:36
Thanks, I'll pass it on.

waldopepper42
11th May 2006, 08:18
I know how not to do it....

1. Whilst the poles don't damage the airframe, if you get that close, there's a chance of picking the banner up with the undercarriage leg instead of the hook...yes, I know of someone who's done it. The ensuing landing with the banner still attached was exciting to say the least!

2. After successfully snaring the banner, it became snagged on something on the ground - before the pilot had chance to do the emergency release, the cable pulled tight, airspeed reduced instantly to zero, and a rather undignified return to earth followed, like a horizontal pendulum! The pilot survived but the aeroplane was totalled!