PDA

View Full Version : Rotors Running Refuels around Scotland

EESDL
9th May 2006, 10:49
For GA use - not those secret company drums.
Putting a private flight together up to darkest Skibo from LBA.
Have yet to find a place that can do RRRF for me.
Elwood is too far south!
Looking for around Glasgow-Edinburgh
Cumbernauld is a negative!
Thanks in advance
PS. Let's not go over the 'why RRRF question' again!

cyclic
9th May 2006, 11:08
Have you tried Bond Air Services at the SECC?

Floppy Link
9th May 2006, 14:35
D
will check for you tomorrow and get back to you...
R

(edited 'cos I can't do basic spelling)

helicopter-redeye
9th May 2006, 16:36
I think Paul can do it at Oban. He fuels a lot of S61, Sea King and bigger traffic as well as a lot army machines.

Further south, Carlise do RRF (or did last time I saw them do it last summer). This would extend the range if flying Leeds/ furthernothinscotland

h-r;)

md 600 driver
9th May 2006, 17:37
D
!!i thought the dauphin had more range than that !!
S

EESDL
9th May 2006, 20:59
S
It's due in a couple of months!!!
Still coping with F1.
Cumbernauld can't help on the day in question due manpower shortage.....

I'll get out and do it myself!!!!!!!

Grainger
9th May 2006, 21:26
Respect EESDL - you must have a cast-iron bladder (or one of those "Little John" bottles :eek:) .

Why not stop off at Cumbernauld anyway and take time out for a cup of tea and a cake (and a leak :eek: ) while we fill you up ;)

md 600 driver
9th May 2006, 21:37
i called at perth last year dont know about rrrf on way to inverness

why not try robins then perth en route

TiPwEiGhT
9th May 2006, 21:55
There's Peterculter just outside Aberdeen, maybe too far away. We go in there now and then and they seem a speedy bunch. They're in Pooleys helipads section I think.

TiP:ouch:

Floppy Link
10th May 2006, 07:56
Caution re Perth folks...

No JET A1 at the moment, due "sometime in the future".
Call 01738 551631 to check.

R

10th May 2006, 10:07
I think the comment about cast iron bladder is the governing factor here <VBG>. If you use Peterculter then phone to see they have sufficient fuel beforehand or you might get a surprise. Alternatively, PDG have fuel at Kintore but you'll need to arrange with them beforehand. To be honest, RRRF is a pointless exercise IMO you'd be better off with a more civilised break at Cumbernauld.

EESDL
10th May 2006, 15:55
Grainger
If we've already spoken on the telephone at Cumbernauld you'll appreciate that hot Allisons aren't the greatest turbines to start.
Ironically, if I do have to shutdown - I'd rather go for lunch & dinner and come back when they're a lot cooler!!!!
Unfortunately my passengers may not want to spend part of their weekend at Cumbernauld and would rather spend it at their destination.

Thanks for your input - just another indication of how GA community is trying to treat the helicopter like fixed-wing again.
Personally, I think it's sad that there are so few places where RRRF is available.
Trying to remember the last time a helicopter with refuel points so far away from exhaust/engine (or whatever it is that is meant to make the machine spontaneously combust when the word 'rotors-running' is mentioned) set itself on fire?
The need for fire cover by some operators is strange and must obviously be based on past incidents...............

Don't get me wrong, refueling AVGAS over a running exhaust is one thing - and does not need H&S assessments to tell you it's a foolhardy thing to do!
Indeed, Captain should have their licence shredded for requesting it in the first place.

Airports such as Carlisle and Wolves should be applauded for maintaining such a facility.
Hurrah! To airports/heliports who recognise that time really is money!!!!!

11th May 2006, 08:32
Refueling with passengers on board? Tsk Tsk

EESDL
15th May 2006, 15:14
Although I fly for a private company - we operate to JAR-Ops regulations - which allow, for certain situations and with suitably equipped/modified aircraft such a practice.
It's always a balanced decision.
Do you disembark passengers (regular chopper-company personnel) standing on the apron in hissing rain - getting nicely wet so they will mist-up the cabin/cockpit - at a location where shelter is across a busy ramp or miles away or do you keep them on board where situation is easier to retain control?
It's better to have them onboard so you can all have a smoke together and talk about whose mobile is best..................
imho - sad point-scoring attempt!

Grainger
popped into Cumbernauld for fuel yesterday.
Pleasant enough - but the horror story follows though
Fuel 63ppl inc vat
Landing fee (this is only for a refuel remember)
£58.70 inc vat

whilst personnel were friendly - prices weren't
may need to advise Pooley's that landing fees have changed!