PDA

View Full Version : How to become a microlight instructor (3 axis)

FireDragon
8th May 2006, 11:56
Does anybody know?

I've looked on the BMAA website, but can't find anything.

1. Firstly, how do you convert your PPL fixed wing to ML fixed wing (3 axis, not flexwing)

2. Do you then go straight onto an FI course, (who does them, and from where?), or do you need to build hours first, as per conventional FI courses

3. Is it also true that you can do this on a PPL, and don't require a commercial licence, (or examinations)

Any input appreciated, I seem to have hit a blank wall with this one!

crap pilot
8th May 2006, 12:28
Firstly you need to convert your PPL which should take between 5-10 hours depending on your experience. You then need to build hours (around 60 IIRC) then do the insructors course. There is no microlight CPL so yes it is all done on a PPL.

JonWhitehouse
8th May 2006, 18:15
If you have a JAR PPL(A), you need to pass the exam 'aircraft technical pt 2 (type)', and pass the GFT for microlights to get the NPPL (microlight), which has replaced the microlight rating on the JAR version.
To keep it current you need 5 hours every year in microlights. Look up section F and C6 in LASORS (caa.co.uk).
Flight instructors need a PPL (ML) plus 100 hrs P1 to begin the course, then there is a course of 15 hrs flying and 75 hrs groundschool, with test lectures, you give a lesson to the examiner in a named area of the PPL syllabus, and some random flight manouvers and questions for the skill test (FI).

Genghis the Engineer
9th May 2006, 00:04
Phone 01869-338888 ask for Roy Hart.

Roy is the BMAA's licencing and instructor admin guru and will give you chapter and verse.

(Be nice to post here what he says afterwards).

But, simplistically:

(1) Differences training

(2) Microlight FIC school, Roy will have a list. There are minimum hours requirements (150hrs P1?), but if most of your hours are group A, you'll need to demonstrate to the FIC instructor a fair degree of microlight competence - probably 25hrs P1 or thereabouts. Microlights are different after all.

(3) No CPL required.

G

porridge
9th May 2006, 04:52
Ghengis
Heres's a question for you - if one has all the normal CPL FI and is FIC approved can one instruct on 3 axis microlight (say something like the E57 Eurostar) for Microlight FIC courses with an already approved FIC school for fixed wing?
Also any idea of what the costs per hour, including insurance, would be for a 3 axis microlight on average that one could use for said instruction?
Thanks, P

Genghis the Engineer
9th May 2006, 07:28
First part - I have no idea, ask Roy.

Second part, roughly speaking I'd suggest...

- Insurance, probably around £800pa
- Fuel, shouldn't exceed £15/hr on MOGAS (generally the preferred fuel)
- Maintenance, should be under £10/hr
- Hangerage, much the same as anything else, let's say £150pm conservatively.
- Depreciation: let's say you spent £45k on an aeroplane, flew it for about 3 years, then sold it for around £30k.

So, if you used the aeroplane for 250 hrs pa in a school environment, that'd come to around £55/hr, although maybe could be brought down towards £45/hr.

Aeroplanes in that class, BTW, (that is what are really modern group A aeroplanes masquerading as microlights) would be the CT2K, CTSW (once it's certified), EV97 Eurostar, Ikarus C42, Jabiru Calypso. Not as pretty and much slower, but I've also a lot of time for the Thruster T600 Sprint - which would be half the price to buy.

There's a special on this in the current Flyer I believe. That said, IMHO the three best training aeroplanes currently on the market are the C42, EV97 and T600.

G

Whopity
9th May 2006, 11:44
To fly a Microlight you need do nothing other than familiarisation training, it is a Single Engine Aeroplane with a Piston Engine and is covered by your SEP Class rating. (IF you have a NPPL there is more involved)

To become a Microlight Instructor you need 100 hours as a pilot of microlights and then you can attend an AFIC(M) course with a FICI Microlight. If your background is largely SEP then you will need to talk to the CAA about credit towards the specific microlight experience.
if one has all the normal CPL FI and is FIC approved can one instruct on 3 axis microlight Yes! because its an aeroplane and is covered by your ratings however, before instructing on a microlight, get some experience on the "type" and get a copy of the BMAA Microlight Syllabus, because it is different to the traditional aeroplane syllabus and your candidate will probably be examined by someone expecting to see the aircraft operated in the way they are used to.

porridge
9th May 2006, 20:17
Thanks Genghis & Whopity for the useful replies
Regards, Porridge

FireDragon
10th May 2006, 09:47
Thanks for all your replies, some really helpful stuff.

Ghengis, I've emailed Roy Hart, (he wasn't taking telephone calls), but am still waiting for reply. When I get one, I'll post what he says here, as requested.

FD

P.Pilcher
10th May 2006, 11:29
It is probably worth stating that as experience gained flying microlights does not count towards any form of experience requirement for the JAR commercial licenses, the fees paid to such instructors are greater than an ordinary JAR instructor could expect to receive. This however should be tempered by the fact that better weather conditions for microlight operation are needed, thus there are potentially fewer flyable hours available per year. I must state however that my information is a year or three old and the situation may have changed now. Anybody else like to comment on this point?

P.P.

FireDragon
12th May 2006, 13:00
Genghis

Had reply from Mr Hart, as follows:

You can fly microlights using the priveleges of your PPL(A) after completing differences training. To become an instructor you are required to hold the NPPL(M). For conversion details, go to www.nppl.com "allowances"

On a slightly different note: how do you go about buying a second hand 3 axis aircraft? Have looked on internet, but can't seem to find too many web addresses. Conventional fixed wing are normally found in the back of Flyer, Pilot etc. Does anybody know if there are any specific publications for second hand machines?

FD

mikeo
12th May 2006, 15:02
From the web site www.nppl.uk.com
SECTION 4. CROSS-CREDITING LICENCES AND RATINGS TO NPPL (MICROLIGHT)
4.1 Pilots with valid licences and ratings
NPPL (SEP), UK PPL (A) or JAR-FCL PPL (A) to NPPL (Microlight)
The holder of a NPPL (SEP), UK PPL (A) or JAR-FCL PPL(A) with SEP class rating who wishes to obtain a
NPPL (Microlight) shall:
a. Produce the NPPL (SEP), UK PPL (A) or JAR-FCL PPL (A);
b. Pass the Microlight Aeroplanes Type (Part 2) oral examination conducted by a Microlight flight
examiner. The examination shall include pilot maintenance requirements and conditions of the Permit
to Fly;
c. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;
d. Pass the NPPL (Microlight) GFT.
But that's only to get you a NPPL! Question is, does your FI rating count for anything after that? I.e. can you instruct on microlights?

Genghis the Engineer
12th May 2006, 16:38
On a slightly different note: how do you go about buying a second hand 3 axis aircraft? Have looked on internet, but can't seem to find too many web addresses. Conventional fixed wing are normally found in the back of Flyer, Pilot etc. Does anybody know if there are any specific publications for second hand machines?

The best websites are www.afors.co.uk and http://www.bmaa.org/classifieds.asp ; the best magazine for adverts is Microlight Flying which is the BMAA's house magazine - you need to be a BMAA member to get it (but you'll need to be a BMAA member to run most microlights anyhow).

If you are looking to instruct on it, it's important to know that there are three types of permit to fly available on microlights, but only the highest "type approved" is any good for the purpose. This list (http://www.bmaa.org/techdocs.asp?DocumentTypeID=6&DocumentType=Type+Approval+Data+Sheets+%28TADS%29)shows all the current type-approved microlights.

Standard advice when buying a second hand microlight is pretty much the same as for buying a second hand car. Take somebody who knows a lot about them to look at it with you, and get a permit renewal (MoT !) done by an independent inspector and check pilot before you buy.

Apart from that, if there's a type you like the look of, post a question on the Private Flying forum, there's likely to be plenty of knowledge there.

G

Jinkster
13th May 2006, 08:50
Call Lancashire Aero Club and ask for Chris in Pemberton Hangar at Barton Aerodrome.

FireDragon
13th May 2006, 11:09
Genghis / Jinkster

Extremely helpful, thanks very much

FD

ravenx
15th May 2006, 13:13
Yes you can instruct on Microlights with an 'A' Class FI rating. I made the same enquiry to the BMAA a few months back. Apparently all you need is to be signed off by the CFI of the club you intend to fly for (differences training etc). Also, if you are an unrestricted FI then the unrestricted status will follow you to the microlights and you will become a QFI (the 100 hours instructing and 25 solo sign offs might actually be easier than passing the microlight QFI flight test)

However, if you think it's bad sitting around waiting for the weather to clear for the C152's to get off the ground just wait and see how much time you spend sitting around at a microlight field. However, I do think with the modern 3-axis machines effectively outperforming a C150 / C152 more people are turning to this because the cost of getting your license (if you're not interested in night flying, IMC or having more than one passenger at a time) is so attractive. It's also a lot cheaper to maintain with only 5 hours per year.

Be aware though that you can't teach someone to fly in an aircraft owned by you if it is a kit build. You can only do this if it factory built. There is also a strange rule that states if two people buy a kit and then put it together they can't learn from scratch on that either because it has to be operated by the owner (singlular) only.

Jinkster
16th May 2006, 16:36
Did you try Chris?

If you want me to pass along some details - I see him pretty much everday.

Jinkster