PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth Accommodation?

DonDave
8th May 2006, 11:53
Due to start on June course (26th) once pass medical. Doesn’t really give me much time to look for accommodation, do NATS help out at all (list of approved accommodation for example) or is it everyone for himself? Also, if anyone on here due to start and looking for housemate or something feel free to let me know!

Whats the best course of action? Best place to live?

Sorry if there are numerous threads about this.

Any help appreciated!

Dave

dbounford
8th May 2006, 15:35
Just found out that I have been successful, not got a date for my medical yet, but was told at the interview that if successful would more than likely be on the June course. So will let you know as soon as I do!
Dan

radar information
8th May 2006, 16:36
Most people tend to stay at B&B's during their time at the college...there are several on Westby Road in Boscombe where most of the guys on my course stayed...think that you should try and find out what B&B's are there and trying and book one, especially if you starting in June....does tend to get busy during the summer, would recommend you doing it now....

Courtenay
8th May 2006, 17:12
http://thecarltonlodge.co.uk/

tariff looks a tad high... but don't know if there is much cheaper about... could be time for some negotiation!!!

James.

Courtenay
8th May 2006, 17:23
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213693

Fidgell
8th May 2006, 20:18
I stayed ( few years ago!!! ) in the first on the right on Westby. Its called Clematis and was excellent. The couple that run it are parents of an ATCO and give a great rate for SATCs.... Worked out that I got my weekends free there! Think the landlady was called Sheila, and they were the cheapest AND best on Westby.

Hope that helps.. and good luck in EGHH

bad_at_radar
9th May 2006, 08:47
Westby Road, Boscombe is the best place to stay by far, close to the college (max 10 minute drive even in rush hour) close to the beach and shops etc.

The best B&B is the Au Levant (I'm bias cos I've stayed there along time!). Its less than £100 per week and thats breakfast and a 3 course evening meal every night except saturdays!

I astayed in the Carlton Lodge, its nice but expensive and are reluctant to negotiate on price, no evening meals and no cooking facilities!

Some of the B&B try to get TATC's to sign mimimum contracts, pay large deposits or pay a month ahead, my advice is to avoid this and keep your options open. If you dont like the B&B you are staying in you should be free to move!

Westby Road seems to fill up very quick at the start of each new course, so book in one early!

dbounford
12th May 2006, 10:48
Just found out I'm on the June course too - not had my medical yet though, not heard anything about it. Will sort accommodation out as soon as I've had the medical. Anyone else due to start in June?

rolaaand
12th May 2006, 14:52
I stayed ( few years ago!!! ) in the first on the right on Westby. Its called Clematis and was excellent.

I stayed in the Clematis for a month or so at the start of my course in 2000.It was excellent value and handy enough for nipping to the boozer,although i'm told that the Seagull isn't there any more, **** pub,good fun though.
Most of our course teamed up and got houses together. If four or five of you team up then it could work out less than £300 a month. Good luck all.

Fidgell
12th May 2006, 20:09
R.I.P. The Seagull..... Lets all stand for a minute and remember the fine ales, great trailer trash laydees - and a pub quiz always won by students as the competition could only spell DHS and LSD!!!

We'll miss ya!

Singe
22nd May 2006, 11:15
Boscombe was a dump, even though some of the B&Bs on Wesby road were OK!
You're better off staying there until you can rent a house. Most people on the course would be willing to share. Check out the board in the main office.
I stayed at a place from that was being advertised on the notice board that was a private house but I was given free reign to the ground floor and all for £70PW.
Jacquie Rhodes knows of the place (if she's still an instructor on the Aerodrome course?) as it's a friend of hers.
Best of luck, hopefully the exams are all multiple choice now instead of the wrist killing 20 pages of MATS 1 transcripts that I had to do!

Quincy M.E.
22nd May 2006, 11:57
Someone has offered me a flat for £75 per week excluding bills. Does this seem like a fair price?

Ta

Singe
22nd May 2006, 12:13
It depends on which bills.
Do you have to pay council tax and water rates or is it only gas and electric that they're after?
It also depends on which area and how big the flat is!

dbounford
22nd May 2006, 12:14
Anybody starting on the June course sorted anything out yet?

Quincy M.E.
22nd May 2006, 12:17
It depends on which bills.
Do you have to pay council tax and water rates or is it only gas and electric that they're after?
It also depends on which area and how big the flat is!

Council tax is included but I would have to pay everything else. They say the flat is quite big and I presume it is in a good area cos it is some London worker's holiday home that they rarely use! I dont have the post code to hand at the mo.

Singe
22nd May 2006, 13:22
Including Council tax seems pretty good.
I'll have a check through all of my old paperwork and see if I have a contact number for the place that I stayed at, it was excellent value on a quiet street, loads of study space and walking distance to town and really easy to get to the college (about 10 mins drive)

Quincy M.E.
22nd May 2006, 13:24
Ah cool. Cheers for that. :ok:

MinimumRest
22nd May 2006, 13:55
If you have a number for the college try contacting Graham Marshall or Andy Renshaw - they have an accommodation list there in the student liason office, as well as a notice board on which people often stick adverts for rooms and the like. That's how I found one of the places I stayed in during my course and it was rather nice, I have to say :)

Quincy M.E.
22nd May 2006, 14:35
Thanks. I now have their number and will ask them to send a list. Cheers :)

Singe
22nd May 2006, 16:04
I can't find the phone number but the address was 70 Portchester Road, Bournemouth.
Go and have a look when you get there, it's a massive detached house.

hold at SATAN
22nd May 2006, 18:08
When I was at CATC many a moons ago, I got a letter from the personnel people based there confirming student status. Result: no council tax. Hurrah! Good luck you little tykes, maybe I'll be training you guys should you darken the doorsteps of Heathrow Tower!

:}

javelin
22nd May 2006, 21:53
This thread brings back memories !

I was doing ATPL at PPSC in late '88 and stayed in a place near the above run by a couple of - er - friendly gentlemen !

There were a few ATC guys in at the same time and I remember how hard they had to work in the bar using flash cards etc.

I remember one guy, he was at Biggin Hill, getting his rating, we stayed in touch for a while, I think I was No 4 and he was No 9.

Anyone remember those days ?

dbounford
31st May 2006, 16:02
Can anyone recommend and B&Bs that they have stayed at recently (other than the ones already mentioned on this thread)? Starting at college at the end of June so need to get my finger out!...:sad:

Quincy M.E.
1st Jun 2006, 07:44
Do you have the college accomodation list? If not I could email one to you.

callyoushortly
1st Jun 2006, 15:37
the address was 70 Portchester Road, Bournemouth.
Now there's some memories!!!! :eek:

dbounford
1st Jun 2006, 18:59
Yeah I've got the list - just wondering if there's any that anybody can recommend (rather than just picking a mid-priced one randomly!)

Singe
2nd Jun 2006, 10:55
Now there's some memories!!!! :eek:

I can't remember the name of the woman the house belonged to, but there were three or four rooms and we were left to our own devices on the ground floor.
She used to teach pilots navigation and the like during the day which was great as we were all at the college then.
The only downside was that the road wasn't any good for skateboarding unlike the front down at Southbourne!

Lassie
12th Jun 2006, 12:44
Hi guys,

I've found some info whilst clearing out some stuff. A mixture of Boscombe and Southbourne. Some with kitchen to make your own stuff, others with evening meal if requested. Good luck to you guys starting at the end of the month. :)

The Ravensbourne - 17 Westby Rd 01202 309770 Think the owners name is Mike.

Hawaiian Hotel - 4 Glen Road 01202 393234. John & Christine

Minton Lodge Hotel - 4 St Johns Road 01202 395707. Mary & Dave

Belmont Lodge - 21 Grand Avenue 01202 425433. Roger & Marjorie

Mooncrest
12th Jun 2006, 13:11
I fondly remember the Au Levant in Boscombe in 1989 and 1990. It was run by Jack and Vi in those days, with their daughter Sharon. Comfy beds and grand breakfasts. Happy days !;)

swanwickATC
12th Jun 2006, 14:54
Beware of Boscombe - for a short trm it is fine. you will hear the stories about the place...

The cheaper B&Bs are a nightmare definately not conducive for learning!
You will need place that you can undertake homework peacefully.

I strongly recommend House/Flat sharing, you will have the massive advantage of learning and bouncing ideas off of each other, as well as keeping your moral up (definately needed after being shot down by the instructors, luckily GW has gone) and the parties are great!!!

Good luck, and enjoy your time at bournemouth - it is a fantastic place to go out and the beaches are cool.
:cool:

topteamlover
12th Jun 2006, 21:15
Even though everyone agrees that boscombe is not the nicest place to be, you are better off looking for one of the guest houses in the westby\glen road area as that is where everyone else on the course is sure to be. A lot of people on our course just waited until the induction week to find out where everybody else was staying although not sure how practical that will be with 50 of you looking for a place in the summer. Dont worry too much, if you end up somewhere awful its easy enough to find somewhere else.

Try to leave your girfreind at home she'll only get in the way and there's plenty of totty in bournemouth. Just stop going home regularly and she'll soon enough get the message. Enjoy the top team week.....it really is just a bit of a laugh so for god's sake don't get stressed out trying to complete their absurd tasks......you won't win any friends.

Padman
20th Jun 2006, 16:44
Boscombe isn't all that bad, granted you get some really freaky little numbers wandering about the place but i've never heard of anyone having any problems or hassle here. I stay there now, moving into a flat on Westby Road at the very end of June too so around the 29th - 2nd July there will be a room @ the Seaway. It's very chintzy and don't expect too much but it's the cheapest place i know of that any of us are staying at. No food but off road parking and a kitchen with all you need in it. The list that gets sent out is full of nasty places as well as good places. Best way to find out is ask the TATC that visit in New Place. Ask Roni how is arm is now too if you see him there

Roni f
20th Jun 2006, 16:57
Ask Roni how is arm is now too if you see him there

thanks for the mention padman lol cheeky git

I fondly remember the Au Levant in Boscombe in 1989 and 1990. It was run by Jack and Vi in those days, with their daughter Sharon. Comfy beds and grand breakfasts. Happy days !;)

moon crest you will be happy to know vi and jack are still alive and kicking sharon has since moved into her own place, sitting in room 8 right now and you will also be happy to know the place is still the best b&d in boscombe 3 course dinner every night can never be snift at, currently 7 tatcs here perfect for studying from courses transcending all functions within the college.

For anyone looking for flats www.Bournemouthgumtree.com (http://www.Bournemouthgumtree.com) is a great site for vacancies in the area hope this helps

cheers Roni