PDA

View Full Version : Direction of pushback...

multi_engined
8th May 2006, 11:37
Recently I have noticed that some commercial aircraft are pushed back in the opposite direction to their travels prior to engine start. Once they are ready to go they make a 180 degree turn and then taxy to the active runway. I just have one question about this - When an aircraft is pushed back is it pushed back in the direction that it intends to commence it's taxy to the active runway, OR is it pushed back into the direction facing into the wind regardless of whether it is totally the opposite direction to the active runway... I had a slight thought that engine start is made easier with extra air flowing into the engines... hence why it is pushed back in the opposite direction.

Thank you for any input!

UP and Down Operator
8th May 2006, 12:35
Hi there.

I don't think ground control in general takes much notice of wind directions when the give a pushback clearence (unless it is hurricane :{ ), and it doesn't really matter that much. You are right, it is better for the cooling of the engines to start them into the wind, but:
1. Engines are often started during the pushback anyway, and
2. Often we are parked close to the buildings, so there are rarely a steady airflow anyway, but in stead a lot of turbulence. So that is no big deal in daily life. - on smaller a/c anyway. Better ask the big guys about the big planes :E

The direction of pushback has to do with how ground control has planned to deal with all the different taxiing traffic at the time. They will normally try to give the shortest taxi time, but at the same time there can be considerations to other incomming/outgoing machines either on the apron or comming from other parts of the airport so it will make a steadier flow if they give some a/c a slightly longer taxi.

Hope this answered your question :ok: