PDA

View Full Version : Post checkride

Ian_Wannabe
7th May 2006, 17:47
Hey guys - After you get the golden ticket to being poor forever more and you wanna take your mates flying, is it a requirement to carry out a "checkout" flight with your club.

Just, I booked an hour with my club and asked "I know I have to do 3 take offs and landings before I can take pax, so can I just jump in and do this then pick him up and head off?".

The reply was "yeah that sounds about right".

Called up this morning and they said "An hour, for a circuit checkride".

It's been about 8 weeks since I passed....

Thoughts?

ETOPS773
7th May 2006, 18:12
Depends on the club, and the last time you flew? If it has been 8 weeks since you last flew, it does seem a long time for a low hour / newly qualified pilot.

From my experience.... I did my PPL in USA and joined a club in the UK once home. I had to do a checkout to get familiar with the airfield, and do the 3 t/o and landings in order to carry passengers. This took about 2 1/2 hours, in the same type of aircraft which I did my training on. The club also has a "30 day rule" where you have to fly at least once every 30 days. I'm told this is, in part, due to insurance purposes, but also it obviously drives in a few more £££ for them too.

(I'd just do the hour with instructor, and if possible take the opportunity to try out a new type whilst doing it for a bit of fun?... and be done with it)

PS well done on getting you ticket :ok: make sure you have fun with it :)

foxmoth
7th May 2006, 19:21
It's been about 8 weeks since I passed.

Legally you do not even have to do the 3 landings as you are within the 90 days, club rules may require more frequent but I would have said more than a couple of circuits was a bit excessive unless you were found to actually need a bit more.:hmm:

dublinpilot
7th May 2006, 19:35
Very few clubs will let you go 8 weeks without insisting on a currency check. Usually this is just a few circuits.

It probably won't take an hour. They are just asking you to book an hour to allow for preflight, refuelling, maybe two normal circuits, a flapless and a glide approach. Maybe a bit more if you don't get 'em right first time.

Given that you are relatively low hours, and haven't flown for 2 months, you probably won't get them all right first time, so you might need to use a bit more of that hour.

Your school are not trying to rip you off. This is perfectly normal. You need to find out what their currency rule is. It will be a set number of days or weeks. If you haven't flown in that period, you'll need a currency check.

dp

Say again s l o w l y
7th May 2006, 20:47
Pretty standard stuff, though I certainly wouldn't want to tell anyone over the phone how long a check ride may take. It could be a circuit, it could be 3 hours.

What ever it takes though, it'll certainly be worth it!
Congratulations on the pass, even if it is a bit out of date!