PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else fed up with the "Collar and Tie" poll?

QNH 1013
7th May 2006, 11:07
Is anyone else fed up with the "Instructors wearing Collar and Tie" Poll? This has dragged on for four years now and would surely have died a humane death except that it was made a poll instead of a normal thread. The problem with a poll on this board is that every time someone clicks the "vote" the poll goes to the top of the board again. As a result, we have had this clogging up the front page of the Instructors forum for four years with only an occasional new post.
What probably started as a bit of fun now looks very silly, and trivialises this forum. Perhaps this contributes to the attitude quoted in the forum sub-heading; ".........instructing is the lowest form of avaition".
As an Instructor, I find this particular Poll rather irritating year after year. It devalues the whole forum, which has some quite serious and important discussions.
Moderators, could you lock Polls after they have run their course? Surely if you have a poll, it needs to have a conclusion, i.e. an end date. I would suggest that a poll needs to be concuded after a month at the longest.
If it was up to me they would end after only a week, or am I just being grumpy?
By the way, can anyone explain the point of having any polls anyway? The normal threads provide much more insight and enlightenment than a (badly chosen) limited choice of answers.

foxmoth
7th May 2006, 12:12
How about a poll on "when should polls end";) :E

essouira
7th May 2006, 21:11
Is it just me or is this to do with whether boys need to tie something around their necks so they can look like grown-ups ? I went for a job as a flying instructor where they wanted me to wear a shirt and tie and I threatened to turn it down on the grounds that it would make me look as if I was auditioning for a role in Prisoner Cell Block H. They took me on and changed the dress code - but only for girls. The boys still wear the silly old collar and tie and none of them has ever challenged it. Could Freud explain this ??????

Cricket23
8th May 2006, 12:32
I agree with QNH 1013.

I'm but a humble PPL, but often look at 'your' forum for tips etc, and yes this blasted poll keeps coming up. It kinda makes me wonder if the instructors haven't got anything better to discuss.

C23

Say again s l o w l y
8th May 2006, 12:58
Yes, get rid of the damn thing.

homeguard
8th May 2006, 13:04
I agree with everything said. Get rid of this silly thread!

By replying i have of course put the damm thing back to the top!

hugh flung_dung
8th May 2006, 13:18
Fully support everything said so far.

Another one which is irritating is the spinning poll - a very useful topic to discuss but every now and then someone votes and brings the damn thing to the top without adding anything to the debate.

Actually, I fail to see the value of any poll on PPRUNE; what do they add?

HFD

Charlie Foxtrot India
10th May 2006, 13:22
Fair enough!

Is done.

Charlie Fox

SKYYACHT
13th May 2006, 20:31
Thank Goodness