View Full Version : Jumpseat Question

Ennie
5th May 2006, 15:52
Does anyone know what BA's policy is on allowing other airline flight deck crew members on the jumpseat (in uniform)?

Travelling standby next week and think the flights could be busy.

cavortingcheetah
5th May 2006, 16:33
:=
Policy might be changing.
Understand that a pilot from Great Auk Airways was allowed in one of their flight decks recently. It took the crew a while to realise that he was wearing a penguin suit and carrying one of those super splasher water canons.
They're still not sure whether he was a security plant, a real penguin or a journalist but things have, quite understandably, tightened up a tad since then. :8

Hand Solo
5th May 2006, 17:35
No chance at all of a flight deck jumpseat. Cabin jumpseats are fine and are at the Captains discretion although they are most likely to be filled by BA staff. Where are you flying to/from?

Ennie
6th May 2006, 09:37
From BHX to EDI.

Thanks for the reply. I have taken 2 BA crew on the jump in the last month, such different policies.

Rainboe
6th May 2006, 09:39
We are ruled by the very strict orders from the CAA and Security people. BA pilots complain about the restrictions, but it is beyond their hands- maybe one day our rules will be relaxed, but it is more than a pilot's job is worth at the moment.

cavortingcheetah
6th May 2006, 09:53
:hmm:

Interesting little question here?

If you are on standby duty and positioning it is quite normal to travel in uniform.
If you are on a standby ticket but not on duty, is it permissible, each according to his own company, to position in uniform with the object of furthering the opportunity for a seat on the aircraft?:confused:

Ennie
6th May 2006, 10:59
Indeed a good question.

In our company there is no written rule stating you can't travel standby in uniform whilst not on duty. I have to say as I'm sure others would agree, travelling in uniform on a standby ticket does have its advantages with security, recognition etc.

Anyone know if the route BHX EDI is a busy one on a Friday, I'm thinking it could well be!

matkat
10th May 2006, 16:26
I am flying on the WW1003 to Edi as I do every week it is usually very busy if You are in Uniform I will say hello.