PDA

View Full Version : Decent Kneeboards!

Flex_Thrust
3rd May 2006, 22:33
Couple of q's for ye learned people! Starting my PPL in the US in 3 weeks.
Q1 Which subjects should I cover BEFORE going?
Q2 Can you recommend any really good kneeboards - seems to be a lot out there at all prices. I understand from Phil Stones book (PPL in 21 days) thats its a very wise investment.
Many Thanks:D

Al380
4th May 2006, 08:15
Hello NewKid,
I suggest you start by having a look at the Air Law. It is usually the first subject you will have to take. Next is Human Performance (if you still have some time).
Regarding the Kneeboard I think the best would be to wait to be in the states there will probably be a pilot shop not too far .
You will find different kinds and cheaper. First time I went to the US I bought the ASA one which has three sections. Its big enough to hold a couple of charts, the plog and there is a slot for pens, CRP...

Hope this will help.
Where are you going?

Cheers
Al

huckleberry58
4th May 2006, 09:13
I wanted a kneeboard when I first started flying in NZ, after awhile I found it quite impractical. In the end I found that clipboard style folders worked the best for me.

Whirlybird
4th May 2006, 09:30
Kneeboards tend to be a fairly personal thing. Some people like complicated tri-fold ones with spaces for pens and torches and maps etc etc, while others find a cheap clipboard from the local newsagent works just fine. Things like leg length and amount of space in the aircraft you fly also have a lot to do with it.

In the hunt for the perfect kneeboard, I used to have four; I'm now down to two, one for f/w flying and a smaller one for rotary.

So I'd say you should buy the cheapest one you can find until you've done a bit more flying, then see what suits you.

18greens
4th May 2006, 19:06
...the hunt for the perfect kneeboard,

You've said it there. I have now officially given up looking for it but it won't stop me adding to my growing collection (5 and counting)

The trouble is the requirements are so contradictory, Small and light to not interfere with a stick but usefull enough to hold about 20 plates on a flipover pad so you don't drop that vital next plate on the IR renewal , pens torches fuel strainers, an A4 plog, the list goes on. It would be nice if it wrapped itself up so the pens don't come out in your bag as well.

I like this one which isn't bad but doesn't wrap up..
http://www.flyboys.com/kneebwiteycl.html

This one may be next on my shopping list

http://www.vansairforce.net/review/ZuluworksKneeboard.htm

For a PPL an A4 clipboard with a few penholders is all you really need and most of the basic kneeboards do that job. I know someone who just folds up his map to A4 size and bulldogs A4 paper or a PLOG on the back. All you really need. Another option is to the wear the kneeboard like the RAF do (lots of pockets as well and warm).

One tip is to tie your pen to the knee board using knicker elastic. That way when you drop your pen (and you will, ususally on test) you won't need to scrabble on the floor and move onto the UA part of the test before you are ready.

The quest goes on. Enjoy your training whatever you choose.

Lister Noble
5th May 2006, 18:08
One tip from a new boy.
On my A5 kneeboard ,the dammned elastic velcro strap kept coming undone, so I replaced it with an old thin leather belt cut down to size.
It's worked well so far.
Lister:)

AerocatS2A
6th May 2006, 12:38
Best I've found is an A4 clipboard. I just sit it on my knees. I have it folded backwards so the inside bit with the clip, is on the outside, I clip my PLOG to that. Charts, weather, and Jepp circular sliderule sit inside.

That setup has suited me for single pilot multi IFR for the last couple of years.

mckrll
7th May 2006, 02:06
Jeppesen Tri-fold - has a removable A5 (half letter) clip board with its own velcro strap - or the Zuluworks one already referred to.

The best idea is to go to a pilot shop and try them out - though I haven't seen the Zulu in a shop yet.

Andrew

cavortingcheetah
7th May 2006, 16:39
:cool:

Best kneeboard?

Find yourself a frisky female fellow flyer.:p

P.Pilcher
8th May 2006, 09:47
Yup! Everybody recommending everything. I'll only add that a board which takes an A4 size sheet equipped with a clip, a stopwatch clip and a slot for the odd pen has served me well from my student pilot days, through instructing, CPL, I.R., ATPL and on the line in just about every type of aircraft (small aerobatic types excepted).

P.P.

EGCC4284
9th May 2006, 08:09
Used this for my CPL and IR

You can get plastic A5 sleeves to put bits in on the rings

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/fb_7_kneeboard.pilot.supplies/use.id.5.item_id.361.dept.15/