PDA

View Full Version : A300 flap falls onto car in Toronto

rotornut
2nd May 2006, 22:56
Airplane debris falls onto T.O. woman's car
CTV.ca News Staff

Debris from a cargo airplane fell from the sky and smashed into a Toronto-area woman's car Monday night minutes after she left her vehicle to attend a dance class.

"A piece of an airplane fell on my car," Karen MacLellan told her insurance company Tuesday to their disbelief.

MacLellan, a Mississauga resident, was alerted to the incident by witnesses in the parking lot.

"At first I thought they said 'Somebody just smashed into your car'," MacLellan told CTV Toronto.

But when MacLellan was told that it was debris from a plane she had a hard time believing what had happened.

"I'm like 'Get outta here'," she recounted.

The wing flap is a one-by-three metre piece which could have proved more deadly if MacLellan's three children were with her.

Peel Region Police said Transport Canada confirmed the wing flap fell from a U.S.-based A300 cargo jet flying into Pearson about 9:30 p.m., the Toronto Star reported Tuesday.

Looking back, MacLellan said she is grateful for one thing.

"Thank god I'm not in that airplane, honestly," MacLellan said.

"Would you feel comfortable being up there in an aircraft and a piece of it has fallen off?"

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20060502/debris_falls_060502/20060502/?hub=TorontoHome

Ontariotech
3rd May 2006, 00:22
I posted this in here about 4 hours ago, and it was moved at light speed over to the Canada forum. I guess we here in Canada are not good enough for the "Mainstream" forum on PPrune eh?

broadreach
3rd May 2006, 01:24
With all due respect for the trauma caused to the "I'm like, get outta here" lady on the ground, one might be glad the crew got 99% of the aircraft down without an even bigger headline.

RatherBeFlying
3rd May 2006, 01:27
OT -- My posting of the Pelee Island Caravan accident got moved to Biz Jets and GA forum even though it was a de facto scheduled air service contracted by the provincial ferry corporation.

MarkD
3rd May 2006, 03:31
It was an A300 so only a bit of plastic :D :D :D :D :D

hetfield
3rd May 2006, 06:20
Those buses are getting old.....

jete
3rd May 2006, 12:43
It was an A300 so only a bit of plastic :D :D :D :D :D
A300 Flaps are the real deal - not plastic

r3500vdp
3rd May 2006, 14:42
Assume this was flight according to flightaware:

XNA 137 Express.Net arriving Monday 9:37 PM EST from Dayton Intl. Aircraft type A300B2

cornwallis
3rd May 2006, 16:01
B2 that is an OLD bus!!The b2 was the first bus produced.

MarkD
3rd May 2006, 18:38
jete

was being facetious, thus the smileys.

Willit Run
3rd May 2006, 20:39
Express Net only has B-4 -200 series.

FJP
3rd May 2006, 21:04
A300 Flaps are the real deal - not plastic

Piece of plastic.... Everyone knows Citroens of the sky have pices of plastic!

vapilot2004
3rd May 2006, 21:20
A-ha - Tap dancing can be potentially dangerous !

Would you feel comfortable being up there in an aircraft and a piece of it has fallen off?

You see it's all part of the Progressive Maintenance Plan - as the aircraft ages, there's progressively less and less to maintain (things do fall off) :)

All B4s for Express Net were built around 1981-82 - definately an old gal.

25 years of age is still far from the most dawdling of old gals still lumbering about here and there - no doubt also shedding the odd bit now and again. :\

barit1
3rd May 2006, 21:25
Likely built in 1981-82 - definately an old gal - but still far from the most dawdling of old gals still lumbering about here and there no doubt also shedding the odd bit now and then. :\

By that time it was all A300B4 production - last B2's were built around 1978 with Kreuger flaps (B2K) a la the B4.

Abus300Pilot
3rd May 2006, 23:32
Well, at least it wasn't an engine...a la Kalitta a couple of years ago over Lake Michigan. Rumor has it that after the insurance company came through, Connie decided to dredge up the engine. Wonder why?:E

Abus300Pilot

J.O.
4th May 2006, 03:09
Rumor has it that after the insurance company came through, Connie decided to dredge up the engine. Wonder why?:E

Abus300Pilot

Maybe he wanted to try mounting it on one of his dragsters!