PDA

View Full Version : BEST PPL STUDY BOOKS!

Andy_20
30th Apr 2006, 22:38
Im about to undertake ground studying for my ppl. i went onto a website to purchase the books, but i was stuck... theres 2 makers of ppl study books, Trevor Thom and Jeremy Pratt... which one is best? i want to whole series of books to studying, trevor thom comes to £114 and jeremy pratt come to £79, and the number of books diferenciates too, trever has 7 books, jeremy has 5?! Any help appreciated

mckrll
30th Apr 2006, 23:30
I used Trevor Thom and still get many of the volumes out periodically to check various things that I've forgotten (or didn't know or fully understand at the time).

As a series they are absolutely excellent. Not sure if "you get what you pay for" applies here.

I'll be interested to hear what others think. Good luck with your studies.

Andrew

bencoulthard
1st May 2006, 09:02
I've just bought some books, I noticed you can find them on ebay but they are older revisions, also a good point to note is that the new revision has no mention of Trevor Thom on there, I don't know if he has quit but I'm sure it could cause confusion when everyone says Trevor Thom

The ISBN is 1-84336-064-0
that's book 1

Revised and edited by Peter D. Godwin, 2005 revision with the new JAR and NPPL stuff added

Good Luck

Ben

Whirlygig
1st May 2006, 09:11
You won't need Vol 5 of Trevor Thom; that's more for commercial licences and the radio nav required for PPL will be covered in Vol 3. I did helicopter so didn't get Vol.1 but, even so, I'm not convinced of its worth. Perhaps other can comment but I would have thought the school would have provided the "how to fly it" and exercise and lesson plans. Vol 7 (Comms) can be replaced with CAP413 downloadable off the internet so that leaves Vol 2 (air Law & Met), Vol 3 (Gen Nav) Vol 4 (something to do with fixed wings things!), Vol 6 Human Factors!

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlybird
1st May 2006, 09:29
This is one of those threads that could run and run, as it really comes down to personal preferences. Both series are fine, and have what you need. You don't need Vol 5 or Trevor Thom, but personally I think you do need the rest. There are less books in the Jeremy Pratt series because he has more than one subject per volume to a great extent than Trevor Thom.

I find Jeremy Pratt extremely readable, while Trevor Thom sends me to sleep! I find myself wanting to read the Jeremy Pratt books, while bored stiff by the Trevor Thom ones. I also prefer Jeremy Pratt's diagrams, and find his explanations clearer. But everyone's different. People have got PPLs for years and years using both sets of books, so it really comes down to which you prefer and how you like to learn.

Andy_20
1st May 2006, 09:30
Cheers guys, i think i have what information i need to make my choice now!

bencoulthard
1st May 2006, 09:32
and the survey says?

Andy_20
1st May 2006, 09:34
'ding ding ding' Jeremy Pratt is the winner! im buying them as a study pack and i cant get trevor thom whithout getting all 7 books, and i dont need them all apparantly. plus its cheaper... heard good stuff about both!

bencoulthard
1st May 2006, 10:05
just to throw a spanner in the works, waterstones sell them seperate

soay
1st May 2006, 10:22
Just in case anybody out there still doesn't know about it, av8n.com (http://www.av8n.com/how/) has loads of useful information on the principles of flight, for free.

Happy Wanderer
1st May 2006, 17:12
This subject has been raised many, many times before. . . .

I'm a big fan of the Pratt books, but it really boils down to your preferred reading and learning style. If you're more of a 'visual' person (ie you prefer pictures, diagrams etc rather than text) go for Pratt; if you prefer all the words a few diagrams thrown in, then go for Thom.

If you do go for Pratt, BUY THEM ON AMAZON!!! They're much cheaper than elsewhere, High St or internet. . . .see attached link (may need to copy and paste this into your browser).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/187478308X/qid=1146503083/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_3_2/202-0333645-4284654

Whirlygig
1st May 2006, 17:27
Trevor Thom books can be separately from most aviation suppliers and bookstores, not just Waterstones. I can't think where you are going if they are stipulating you must buy the set.

Cheers

Whirls

Bahn-Jeaux
1st May 2006, 18:10
Pilotstore offers a discount to buy the full set Whirls.

wingman863
2nd May 2006, 16:10
I'd also go for the PPL Confuser. Cant remember the author, its someone with an asian name which I can't pronounce anyway. It's excellent and will see you through your exams comfortably.

dwshimoda
2nd May 2006, 18:47
I'd also go for the PPL Confuser. Cant remember the author, its someone with an asian name which I can't pronounce anyway. It's excellent and will see you through your exams comfortably.

Agreed - the author is Nung Sornying. Don't use it as a substitute though - learn the material, then use the confuser to test yourself, and get dialled into the way the CAA asks / phrases questions.

Draven
2nd May 2006, 19:49
Hello,

I have a combination of both, and i will admit i enjoy reading Jeremy Pratt's books more than Trevor Thom but in the end they both do the trick and they are both good. Read them first and then test yourself with the PPL Confuser. :ok:

There is also a book available on the internet which contains heaps of information which might be useful and it is free, it's called: See how it flies.

Regards,
Draven

acuba 290
14th May 2006, 21:23
can somebody recommend this book from Jeremy Pratt "The PPL Questions and Answers Simplifier" ? is it good? Which one is more close to real exam questions: this one or PPL-Confuser? I'm reading now Jeremy Pratt's books 1-4 and checking with Confuser. Do i need this other book also?

bencoulthard
14th May 2006, 21:38
Not really a helpful response but I am selling Trevor Thom books 1 and 2 on ebay. Item No. 7031361151 and 7031363777.

I have the Pratt ones with PPL confuser theres lots at www.flightstore.co.uk (http://www.flightstore.co.uk) or com i forget which, really helpful when i went there.

Ben

MyData
15th May 2006, 07:16
The only book you'll need: ;)

"The Bluffer's Guide To The Flight Deck" £3.99 from all good book shops.

Picked up a copy on Thursday at LHR as an alternative to the magazines.

Learned something new on page 8 :8 Why fuel is measured in lbs/kg rather than gal/litres. I'm sure the answer is somewhere in my TT series but I don't recall reading about it.

bigmac69
16th May 2006, 18:33
Just like to say fellas......I have just sat the JAA PPL air law exam, it was alot tougher than i thought it was gonna be....passed though....just.

Used Pratt and confuser, you need to learn the content of the textbook. Those who learn the confuser questions only WILL NOT PASS.

Some of the text is confusing and/or ambiguous in the exam, hence the need to read and understand the text.

Thought i'd give you an honest account as far as i can see.

BM69

acuba 290
16th May 2006, 19:11
Some of the text is confusing and/or ambiguous in the exam

can you give some examples of such confusing questions?

femaleWannabe
16th May 2006, 21:11
can somebody recommend this book from Jeremy Pratt "The PPL Questions and Answers Simplifier" ? is it good? Which one is more close to real exam questions: this one or PPL-Confuser? I'm reading now Jeremy Pratt's books 1-4 and checking with Confuser. Do i need this other book also?

I'd like to know this too as I have the 5 pratt books but can't decide whether to get his question and answer book or go for the confuser. I'm not worried about it "being like the exam" but does it test your knowledge well enough to pass?

Whirlygig
16th May 2006, 21:18
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225895

See also this thread which discusses the various Q&A books! I've not used the Jeremy Pratt one and I don't rate the Confuser over Q&A for Private Pilots Licence.

Cheers

Whirls

Jinkster
16th May 2006, 21:31
:) I prefer Jeremy Pratt - but its personal choice!

acuba 290
16th May 2006, 21:58
:) I prefer Jeremy Pratt - but its personal choice!

ok, ordered this book;)

tangovictor
16th May 2006, 22:12
has anyone tried the intensive course's advertised in some flying mag's ?

acuba 290
16th May 2006, 22:18
intensive flying or theorie?

tangovictor
16th May 2006, 22:24
theory as per the thread

femaleWannabe
17th May 2006, 07:34
I think I'll order the jeremy pratt one (not sure he actually writes it - but the one in that series) - at least it will match the others on my bookshelf if nothing else :rolleyes:

bigmac69
20th May 2006, 23:46
Not sure exactly how far i can go with regards to exact examples without getting in the s**t, but i will try.

One of the q's was asking about what comprises "Air Traffic". Now two of the four answers were identical apart from one extra word, (both answers would be feasable, but only one correct!). The other two you can pretty much disregard through study/common sense.

Another example was what to do if you saw another A/C in distress. One of the answers had what i had learned from the pratt book in it (i.e keep the a/c in sight), but was accompanied with something like "Until you are no longer needed", This i assumed to be nonsense as another answer was to make a mayday call on their behalf, i considered this to be a much more sensible thing to do and therefore selected it. I may well have got it wrong, who knows.

I will also say there are some gifts also, make the most of them, easy facts....ages,signs,VFR minima etc. There are a few different exams so obviously you may not encounter the one that i did.

Learn the subject and you will be ok, hope that has shed some light....

BM69

Eddie_Crane
27th May 2006, 19:07
PPL Confuser, hands down!

Mad Girl
27th May 2006, 19:34
Bought the Thom books at approx £13 a book from Amazon (New) not the £20 abook from other suppliers.
Also using the PPL confuser.

Managed to pass Air Law, Human Performance & Limitations, Flight performance and planning and Aircraft general in 7 weeks.

4 down - 3 to go.

Works for me

Good luck