PDA

View Full Version : PPL Revalidation

The Wathp
30th Apr 2006, 20:05
Hi there,

I'm trying to get some answers with regards to revalidating my PPL(A), and was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction.

My situation is this: I finished my PPL back in 2002 and continued to fly until 2003 when I joined the Royal Navy, I then stopped flying on my PPL but since then I have done Grading (10 hours Grob) in 2003 and Elementary Flying Training (60 hours Firefly) in 2004. I've since stepped into the rotary circuit but would like to spring clean my PPL as it were and get flying again in the summer.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what requirments I'm looking at to get my PPL back up to speed, Ive heard my military fixed wing flying can count towards my PPL(A), but am not sure on current regs.

Many thanks for any advice.
Cheers.

P.S My PPL is JAR and after checking it seems to have an expiry date in 2007 and 2012. ta!

Sleeve Wing
1st May 2006, 09:00
Hi TW.
It would appear that your PPL became invalid in 2004 due to the expiry of your SEP(Land) rating. This also coincides with the time you completed your fixed wing training.
As your rating expiry has not exceeded five years,the requirement will now be to complete an LPC/SPA (Licence Proficiency Check/Single Pilot Aeroplanes) on a suitable Aeroplane eg.Warrior/172 even a Firefly, with an Examiner.
This will take the form of a simple General Handling exercise. - Stalling, Steep Turns, Practice Forced Landing, Ccts. etc. May be a good idea to have a bit of a practice with an f/w instructor first.

Also appears you could be at CD (?) so your nearest Aero Club could be at Perranporth where they'll doubtless have an Examiner on call.
Oh, and check your CAA Medical validity.

Hope this helps.
Rgds,
Sleeve Wing.

BEagle
1st May 2006, 10:00
As I replied to the same question you posed on another PPRuNe forum :rolleyes: , you need to fly some refresher training in a SEP Class aeroplane, then take the LST for a SEP Class Rating renewal. Much the same profile as an LPC, but a different emphasis by the Examiner.

These days it also includes an element of VFR navigation. As in proper navigation, not map reading and track crawling.

Next year you will need to have your licence re-issued.

The Wathp
2nd May 2006, 23:53
Many thanks for the info.

Beagle, sorry bout the dual post, wasn't sure where it was best placed. Can you expand on the LST? Many thanks.

Cheers
TW

distaff_beancounter
3rd May 2006, 08:44
Hi The Wathp
I have sent you a PM with some info which you may find helpful
DB :)