PDA

View Full Version : Briefings

Lee Frost
30th Apr 2006, 06:29
Hello,

I am looking for responses from experienced pilots about the thought process when briefing from plates (Departure and Approach briefs).

It would be helpful if you would describe the flow of your eye, which items you prioritise, then perhaps some examples of how you share this with the other pilot.

Please write as fully as possible, and thanks for your time,
(Jeppessen plates)

:)
LF

JW411
30th Apr 2006, 10:03
Right then, there are many ways of doing this but at the risk of getting shot down in flames I will start you off. Here is sample briefing for an ILS let down that has kept the CAA and many others happy for years:

1. This will be a Cat 1/2/3 ILS (or ILS/DME) to runway 28 at XWZ.

2. The plate number is 21-5 and it is dated 21 November 2005. (It is important to make sure you are both singing from the same hymn sheet).

3. Now move to the right and discuss the MSA.

4. The approach is based on the ILS frequency 110.5 coding BGV.

5. Now move down to the plan view. The inbound course is 288° and the ADFs (or DMEs) are set as follows; AB on No.1, DV on No.2. Now move down to the vertical profile.

6. The platform height is 3000 feet and descent commences from the FAF at 7.5 DME.

7. We pass the Outer Marker (IAF) at 1489 feet.

8. The MDA is 518 feet which is set on my double bug (this depends on your company SOPs for bug settings) 618 feet single bug/100 above and single bug on 318 feet touchdown.

9. Standard company calls and procedures throughout and if nothing is seen at minima then the missed approach is runway heading to 3000 feet and then a left turn to the KKA VOR.

10. The RVR required for this approach is 550 metres (bottom left corner).

11. Runway 29 has CL and HIALS (lighting) with PAPIs on the left side only.

12. I would anticipate clearing the runway to the right via Taxiway A, B or C.

13. Any questions?

That is your starter for ten - standby for the avalanche!

Lee Frost
30th Apr 2006, 14:22
Thanks JW thats exactly the sort of thing I am looking for,

:)
LF

Pilot Pete
30th Apr 2006, 15:33
Another point worth mentioning, as well as briefing the actual Jepp plate, is to include how you are actually going to fly the procedure. I know you specifically asked how pilots brief the plate, but don't forget important elements such as aircraft configuration, including items like flap settings, approach speeds, auto-brake and reverse thrust use, wx in relation to everything from minima to braking actions, taxi routes and anything non-standard like calling for a ground power unit to be attached due to u/s APU etc.

There are many other things that can be included and I am not advocating a 15 minute brief covering every possible eventuality, but select the items that are of most relevance and especially concentrate on anything out of the ordinary.

Far to many briefs I hear are literally just a 'reading' of the plate info. I can read that myself, so itwould be of more value to hear your 'plan' rather than just what the ILS frequency is!!

Consider implications of things you brief, for instance the missed approach. OK, the plate says straight ahead, 3000' and back to the NDB to hold. Well, is that what you are likely to actually do? If you are in a radar environment you proably won't and will be given a heading. If we do go around what are your intentions? Tell me the plan as this helps prevent the 'headless chicken' act when the TOGA button is pressed! Do you intend to make another approach? Divert straight away? Use your alternate fuel here at destination? How many minutes do you have once you go around before you have to make that decision? Relate any fuel over CMR to minutes of flying time. Do you get the idea? This way, the unexpected go around is much less of a capacity drainer as you already have a plan and a timescale.

Happy flying.

PP

PEI_3721
30th Apr 2006, 15:43
JW provides a comprehensive guide for the approach briefing, which also considers follow on aspects - turning off the runway and taxiing, but what about the safe arrival and stopping?
Crews should consider what the expected visual scene will be at DH, what are the key features; any risk of visual illusion – black hole effect?
Consider the expected runway condition, what’s the landing wt - % of max landing wt – adjust the planned braking technique.
Consider ‘What if’ – approach offset, high, fast, gusts, etc – define the limits applicable to ‘this’ approach, not just the standard SOPs

A quote from recent FSF symposium –
“Crews will check that they both have the correct chart, date, revision, etc; but how many crews check that they have the same understanding of the approach?”

The quality of the briefing may be improved by requiring the least experienced crew member to formulate and conduct the briefing, and the more experienced to monitor the content. The briefer gains experience from the considerations, this provides a better visual model – the plan for the approach. This is also an excellent method of improving the quality of memory and thus experience.
Every approach should be briefed in full – nothing is standard, i.e. the briefer has to identify and consider all of the differing aspects to provide sufficient understanding to avoid error.

JW411
30th Apr 2006, 16:32
Be careful not to overbrief. Any briefing that takes more than a few minutes is likely to make the other guy switch off and will achieve absolutely nothing.

Any variations from company standard operating procedures absolutely must be briefed as should any expected variation from the procedure on the chart.

However, the statement "Standard calls and procedures" should suffice unless you have serious doubts about the competence or inexperience of your colleague.

To turn up for work not knowing your company SOPs amounts to criminal negligence.

You could ask your colleaugue at the end of the briefing if he is happy with (for example) the standard Cat 2 procedure or the Go Around procedure. If the answer is "No" then rebrief him/her and then contact the Chief Pilot at an early opportunity and suggest some further training. Otherwise the same thing is likely to happen next time.

Lee Frost
2nd May 2006, 12:57
Thanks all for your contributions,

I am interested in preparation for a sim check, so would like to develop a style of briefing to suit that particular exercise - and have a feeling that keeping it shorter might be best...

Any comments welcome...PP would you still advise a fuller coverage including the points you mentioned?

LF

Pilot Pete
2nd May 2006, 15:09
Thanks all for your contributions,
I am interested in preparation for a sim check, so would like to develop a style of briefing to suit that particular exercise - and have a feeling that keeping it shorter might be best...
Any comments welcome...PP would you still advise a fuller coverage including the points you mentioned?
LF Well, for a sim check there are several factors which should affect your briefing style/ depth.

1. If you haven't flown the type before you will probably need a slightly more comprehensive brief than if you operate the type, and more importantly you and the other guy operate the type to a standard set of SOPs. Having said that, hopefully you can cover most of these issues in the pre-sim brief rather than in the cockpit.

2. You need to demonstrate your knowledge and interpretation to the checker, so simply saying 'standard' is going to leave him unsure of your knowledge. I hate it when I listen to a 'this will be a standard departure....' and then they tell me the differences from standard!!!

3. Don't over-brief, but make sure you cover all the important aspects. You get a feel for it with practice and I can cover config, performance, weather, navaids and SID routeing, automation to be used and emergencies in about 2-3 minutes without rushing.

4. Keep in mind the purpose of the brief. It is to ensure that you and your colleague are singing from the same song sheet, so if you are flying with a new colleague you will need to cover more than you do with a more familiar partner.

Hope this helps and good luck with the check.

PP

beamer
2nd May 2006, 20:39
Varies relative to who you are flying with at the time !

If its a new troop then fairly comprehensive but still bearing in mind that he/she can read and only salient points emphasised.

If its an old hand that you know and trust 'standard brief ILS runway XX - any questions' will suffice.

If your Company SOP'S define what consists a 'standard' brief for departure/emergencies/arrivals then don't go over the whole nine yards if you both are fully conversant (as you should be) with such briefs. Anything non-standard of course needs to be discussed.

So - keep it short, punchy and relevant !