PDA

View Full Version : I PASSED!!! ... and a medical question!

simoncooldude
28th Apr 2006, 15:28
Heya guys,

Not trying to sound too over the moon ;) but I passed the interview stage of the selection test and now just have the medical and security stages to go! Just like to take this opportunity to all the members of PPRUNE who have contributed to the interview help sections and to all who have helped me either directly or indirectly over the past months, I am forever in your debt! Thank you!

May as well post a decent contribution to the PPRUNE community while I'm here as well! Just got the times and dates through for the medical checks, but there is no mention of a location on there (until you book the time). Am I right in thinking that the Medical Centre is located at Heathrow Airport (just so I know how much time I need to take off to get up there!)

Thanks very much for your help, and hope you all have a great weekend

Si

BA Baracus
28th Apr 2006, 15:51
Yep - Heathrow at the Nats centre, a stones throw from Terminal 2.

Well done - Im pencilled in for the Sept course. May bump into you in the corridors of hurn someday!!

Aerodave
28th Apr 2006, 15:54
First of all contratulations on getting through.

In the next week or so you will get you shiny glossy folder through containing your contract of employment and the starting payscale (not going to comment on that to try and prevent and argument on why trainees should only get paid 10K by the qualified ATCO's) any way once you book your medical you will get a letter from them telling you where the centre is. It is indeed at Heathrow Airport somewhere just outside the front of Terminal 2, you get full directions in the letter.

Once again congratulations and hope to see you at the college at some point

Aerodave:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Apr 2006, 15:59
<<to try and prevent and argument on why trainees should only get paid 10K by the qualified ATCO's>>
Wow things HAVE changed. "Qualified" ATCOs never had to pay their trainees anything in my day...... let alone 10 grand!

wizad
28th Apr 2006, 17:59
why do all new trainees whine about this £10k pay????
if you were valid and on the other side of the fence i bet you would welcome the new pay deal.
anywho.... i understand you are now at the college for between 6 and 9 months. so its hardly the end of the earth to get a lower wage for half a year.... just think about when you pass. 6 months is hardly comparible to 25 odd years in a well paid job is it now???
toys back in the pram.

Gonzo
28th Apr 2006, 18:17
wizad,

I think you should read this thread again. I cannot see any evidence of whining. :rolleyes:

Aerodave
28th Apr 2006, 19:14
[/quote]
Quote:

I think you should read this thread again. I cannot see any evidence of whining.

I refrained from commenting on the pay deliberately to try and prevent this descending into a thread where we argue the pro's and con's of the 10K starting wage.....obviously i failed.:{

Personally i agree with wizad its only for 6-9 months and the benefits afterwards definately make up for it. After all if you really want to be a ATCO the initial wage should not deter you to much.

Aerodave

simoncooldude
28th Apr 2006, 21:23
I'm not whining about the pay :) I knew there was a paycut and even though I wasn't impressed with it, I know that doing my dream job is worth more to me than the money (even though the money does help!) At the end of the day it's still £10,000 , a damn sight more than my Uni friends are getting!!!

Thanks for the information on the Medical Centre, and cheers for your words of congratulation, much appreciated!

Si

DonDave
28th Apr 2006, 21:29
Simon, am currently waiting for results of interview. 3 guys i was with all got told that they failed the next day, its been 2 weeks for me, i rang up today but they said they would contat me next week....not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing.

How long did it take for them to tell you? did they call you or by email?

dave

simoncooldude
29th Apr 2006, 06:28
Don, only took 2 days for me. Had the second stage on Wednesday, and recieved an e-mail on Friday afternoon. I have heard that they usually are quite quick at replying so am suprised to hear you have been waiting so long.

Hope that everything's worth the wait for you, and hope it's not delayed further!

Si

Kirk Biddlecombe
2nd May 2006, 06:36
There's a September course?

I thought the course after June was October.
If it is September, do you know when it September it begins?

Thanks,

Kirk

Quincy M.E.
3rd May 2006, 08:19
I am also pencilled in for the September course. I rang HR last week to find out the date but they do not know yet. :bored:

I cant wait to go though!

-smiler-
4th May 2006, 12:39
6-9 months at the college? I was under that impression too, but at my second stage interview asked for confirmation, and HR didn't know! They said they thought it was still up to 18 months for area.

10k for 6-9 months is fine if that's all it is. 18 months is a whole different story. And not forgetting that it's still a max of 18k for the next couple of years too - still not really enough to sustain anyone with existing debts to service.........

I failed anyway - but at least I have another year to save before my next attempt :)

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Quincy M.E.
4th May 2006, 12:53
I give it 5 mins before someone posts the usual "...if you are really commited you will find a way to sustain yourself..........." comment. :ok:

Angrel
4th May 2006, 21:48
evening all. the course in september starts on the 25th. i had my contract through last week and although the pay is poo to start with, rest assured that if ya good enough, in 36 mths after you join, we will be on such a wage as to be at a loss as to know what to do with the money! :) personally, mines goin on beer but thats me! whos up for a 'meet and greet' a couple of days before we start the course?! :E

wnjmurphy
7th May 2006, 08:20
10k for 6-9 months is fine if that's all it is. 18 months is a whole different story. And not forgetting that it's still a max of 18k for the next couple of years too - still not really enough to sustain anyone with existing debts to service.........

When I finally apply (once things become a little bit clearer) only debts I'll have are student loan fee's. Rather lucky that you don't repay them until you earn over £15,000 ;)

The medical is similar to that of aircrew right?

Quincy M.E.
9th May 2006, 10:33
Hi Angrel

I am meant to be on the Sept course but am yet to recieve a contract or indeed confirmation of the start date!