PDA

View Full Version : H.I.D Lights

SkyHawk-N
28th Apr 2006, 01:30
I've been reading a fair bit on High Intensity Discharge landing/taxi lights for aircraft and apart from the cost of purchase and installation seem a worthwhile upgrade. They are supposed to be 5 or 6 times brighter than 'normal' lights, draw little current and little ambient heat is generated. Many are guaranteed for the life of you aeroplane so in theory could be left on permanently.

Has anyone looked at HID lights or had them installed? If so, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of them. The pictures and movies available on the internet look impressive but I have never seen them in action myself.

IO540
28th Apr 2006, 06:05
I was going to fit them. It became possible under N, not possible under G.

However, in the present UK Govt sponsored anti foreign aircraft climate I am avoiding major mods which would probably have to be ripped out if I was forced back to G. I also don't do much night flight so not being able to see when taxiing isn't a major issue.

Yes they are vastly better, according to reports from users.

SkyHawk-N
28th Apr 2006, 06:59
I was also thinking that they would make me more visible to others both in the circuit and x-country as well. I'm based at an uncontrolled airfield which can be busy at times, the idea of being lit up like a xmas tree is quite appealling.

S-Works
28th Apr 2006, 07:32
My last porsche had standard lights and the current one has HID and the difference is vast. We also use them for diving as they give many times more the light for a fraction of the battery power which gives us longer burn times for the same size battery.

I would love to fit them to my Skyhawk but the last time I looked they were not EASA approved. HAs this changed?

SkyHawk-N
28th Apr 2006, 08:00
I would love to fit them to my Skyhawk but the last time I looked they were not EASA approved. HAs this changed?

Probably not. I hear they are getting popular in the USA and a number of manufacturers are now marketing them for aircraft and have obtained FAA-PMA approval.

They seem to come in two flavours, a 35 watt/540,000 candle power version and a 50 watt/750,000 candle power version. I'd like them fitted in my Cessna's wingtips and have a pulse unit fitted.

IO540
28th Apr 2006, 16:43
LoPresti www.boombeam.com is one popular one.

Not possible on a G-reg though. Well, anything is possible on a G if you want to stuff 4 figures down some CAA Level 2 (or whatever it is now called under EASA) design approved company. Europe has no effective system for minor mods.