PDA

View Full Version : straight in app

ernest gann
27th Apr 2006, 11:53
Hello everyone,
My question concerning straight in ILS approach.
Let’s assume that we’re inbound IAF descending to Initial app alt in IMC. Race track procedure is published on IAC. We’re almost LOC established in CTR with R/T contact with TWR without radar coverage. Can we expect / make a straight in app and descend to Final app alt (above MSA) after approach clearance received.
Are any precision rule regulating described situation.
Regards

flyboyike
27th Apr 2006, 13:03
I don't know about the EU, but in the US you wouldn't get your approach clearance from the tower, you'd get it from approach control. In a non-radar environment, you'd typically do the hold once, unless approach tells you not to. They would hand you off to the tower after they give you the approach clearance. I should add that there are relatively few areas in the US where there are airports big enough to have an ILS yet remote enough to be outside of radar coverage, so it's not a common problem.

Dream Land
28th Apr 2006, 06:37
Question: Is the race track pattern marked in a heavy black line which would seem to mean mandantory, what is the difference in altitude from the IAF to the FAF?

None
28th Apr 2006, 18:12
http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap5/aim0504.html#5-4-9
5-4-9. Procedure Turn
a. A procedure turn is the maneuver prescribed to perform a course reversal to establish the aircraft inbound on an intermediate or final approach course. The procedure turn or hold in lieu of procedure turn is a required maneuver when it is necessary to perform a course reversal. The procedure turn is not required when the symbol "No PT" is shown, when RADAR VECTORING to the final approach course is provided, when conducting a timed approach, or when the procedure turn is not authorized. The hold in lieu of procedure turn is not required when RADAR VECTORING to the final approach course is provided or when "No PT" is shown.

ernest gann
4th May 2006, 08:38
Question: Is the race track pattern marked in a heavy black line which would seem to mean mandantory, what is the difference in altitude from the IAF to the FAF?
Answer: Yes, race track is marked in heavy black line - is it a reason of necessity to make a pattern?
for example EPPO: Initial app alt is 4000', Final 2300', or any others similar airport - regards

Dream Land
4th May 2006, 13:14
Don't have my Jepp manual handy but I did a google and found this on an aviation site, I was confused, I thought it did imply a mandatory turn, anyway here:A procedure turn usually includes airspace up to 10 nautical miles from an identified fix. But at times there’s something (obstacles, airways or approaches to other airports, restricted or prohibited airspace) where controllers won’t give you that much room to maneuver. If the procedure requires you stay closer to the fix than 10 nm, it may instead depict a holding pattern in bold print. The bold print tells you that the hold must be flown (instead of a procedure turn or straight-in) if you’re called upon to fly the full-procedure approach. One other note is that in the plan view, altitudes are considered minimum unless Mandatory or Maximum is indicated. As stated by none, the procedure is considered mandatory unless the symbol No PT is indicated.

ernest gann
4th May 2006, 13:44
Many thanks for your replies.