PDA

View Full Version : Best Airfield Restaurants

Heliplane
27th Apr 2006, 10:30
I'm torn between flying to Kemble (AV8) or Compton Abbas for lunch this weekend. Does anybody have any preferences between the two?

Also, are there any other excellent restaurants on or very near to airfields that are worth a visit. I'm thinking of more than just the usual greasy spoon - must have a nice atmosphere, good food and preferably be non-smoking.

Clearly, as you'll have guessed, the Mrs will be coming along!!

BroomstickPilot
27th Apr 2006, 10:38
Compton Abbas and Kemble are both good, but personally, I prefer Old Sarum to either of those you have mentioned.

There's much more club atmosphere and the food's good.

Broomstick.

Will Hung
27th Apr 2006, 10:59
Denham's got an excellent restaurant called Biggles. Elstree used to have an excellent restaurant, but I haven't been there since the aerodrome became like the Alamo ! Cranfield, forget it !

robin
27th Apr 2006, 11:20
The Aviator at Sandown is worth a trip

big.al
27th Apr 2006, 11:42
We had a terrific pub lunch - not just your usual fayre - at the pub in Northrepps, a few mins. walk along the country lane from Cromer airfield.

Cromer is very welcoming - provided you can manage 500m of grass...

Lister Noble
27th Apr 2006, 12:54
I'm not sure how far you want to fly.
Old Buckenham, various home made hot and cold dishes including a 16 oz beefburger!
Good bar if you are staying around,friendly club with a little shop for pilot stuff and also memento's .
Grass and tarmac runways,Stearman operating and other interesting stuff visits most days.
Lister:)

got caught
27th Apr 2006, 13:50
Barton will give you a hearty welcome, but miss the curries.:)

Mixed Up
27th Apr 2006, 16:31
Barton will give you a hearty welcome, but miss the curries.

I had breakfast there last summer and that was certainly something to be missed. Otherwise a nice airfield.

For lunch I'd opt for Old Sarum, followed by Compton Abbas. Kemble is also good. Sandown's new cafe seems very nice, not that I've so far made much use of it. Other nice ones I know of include Goodwood and White Waltham.

duir
27th Apr 2006, 18:15
The Tipsy Nipper at Fife/Glenrothes is rather good with lovely views and money off food when landing fee is paid.

WorkingHard
27th Apr 2006, 18:27
Try the on site restaurant at Fenland. Open skies, open approached, good atc and good food

tmmorris
27th Apr 2006, 19:18
Had the best chips of my life at Seething...

Tim

Been Accounting
27th Apr 2006, 19:28
The altiport at Alpe d'huez

ALTIBAR
Altiport Henri Giraud 38750 ALPE D'HUEZ, tél. 04 76 80 41 15

EastMids
27th Apr 2006, 20:51
The Clubhouse at Wycombe Air Park is pretty good these days.

Andy

Monocock
28th Apr 2006, 06:37
Hey - why not come and land at my strip, i'll ferry you by Solihull's finest to a lovely local restaurant and pick you up and return you to your aircraft when you're finished. All inclusive for the small token of £200

Interested?:D

Genghis the Engineer
28th Apr 2006, 09:44
I've eaten at the new Sandown clubhouse a couple of times recently, it's excellent.

At Bembridge, a reasonable lunch can be had at the Propeller Inn (edge of the airfield), but about a mile away is the Crab and Lobster, which does some of the best seafood in Britain imho.

Good workmanlike lunches at Popham, Compton Abbas and Old Sarum, but to be honest nothing spectacular (although in summer, the CA Ploughmans lunch, and the Popham salad buffet are both worth the trip).

If you like burgers, White Waltham does an excellent one.

G

robin
28th Apr 2006, 09:52
...and don't forget Dunkeswell which does a good breakfast and a Carvery on Sundays

PTR 175
28th Apr 2006, 11:38
Been Accounting: totally agree. Restaurant de l'Altiport. Splendid food. We ate there at Christmas. Still have the card in my wallet.

Closer to home. Sandown's restaurant is great. Well it was last summer when I went with my flying partner in crime. Fresh fish on the menu. In my case local Mussles.

Heliplane
28th Apr 2006, 11:43
Too much choice... I think I'll go where the weather looks best this weekend but will definitely try to hit the other places some other time. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Still very tempted by Monocock's suggestion, I hear that Solihull is lovely at this time of year.

ContinentalC85
28th Apr 2006, 16:38
Best egg n' chips - The Squadron at North Weald

Monocock
29th Apr 2006, 16:11
Having eaten at Sandown today I must say it really is a lovely place to go. People are friendly, the atmosphere is relaxed and the food is great.

Top marks to them I say.

:ok:

FullyFlapped
29th Apr 2006, 18:27
The Crab & Lobster near Bembridge was pretty good last time I was there : nice walk through the woods as well.

As far as "clubhouse" food goes, the food at Netherthorpe is excellent, and it's a pretty little field as well ...

FF :ok:

007helicopter
30th Apr 2006, 17:50
Rochester EGTO has a great cafe which does Sunday Roast for less six quid - well worth it.
Closed most Mondays though.

Lydd has a good carvery
Headcorn very basic

EGBKFLYER
1st May 2006, 12:03
The Touchdown Inn at Wellesbourne is good. Service can be a bit slow but the fare is generally worth the wait.

There's a new pilots' bar opening at Sywell shortly too.