PDA

View Full Version : How to really make a living out of Instruction

porridge
27th Apr 2006, 06:10
How to really make a living out of Instruction - or I how I learnt about Microlight Flying from that!
Recently I have been training a Microlight Instructor for a FI(R) on fixed wing and I was amazed to learn how much he claimed he made out of Microlight instruction. I subsequently did some research on the British Microlight Association website (http://www.bmaa.org) and it would appear that instruction is charged out for PPL flying at £60 per hour or more by these instructors who are mainly owner-operators. As they probably pay very low rates to operate out of the airfields used by Microlights; their fixed costs must derisory compared with operating at licensed airfields. As I was told that most Microlight instructors can expect to fly around 600 to 700 hours a year it seems to appear that a fairly comfortable living can be made in the of the industry, and certainly much better that their counterparts in the GA world of PPL flying on C150’s et al. There are also the opportunities to make money out ground school and tests which I reckon would be around 20% what would made on the flying instruction. At that rate who needs an airline job?
Perhaps I am wrong – any comments?

Whopity
27th Apr 2006, 07:48
Well spotted. You only need a PPL; and you will probably sell your students an aeroplane as well. Not much scope for hour building so it only leaves dedicated instructors!

RVR800
27th Apr 2006, 08:02
Yes that is a good example of how a light touch as far as regulation is concerned can cause profitability to improve....

Aeronut
27th Apr 2006, 10:00
Yeah. but you have to fly microlight:eek: s.

hugh flung_dung
27th Apr 2006, 11:28
Where did you find the info about FI rates? I looked around but couldn't find anything.

HFD

porridge
27th Apr 2006, 19:15
HFD
Go to the BMAA website - then select Clubs and schools, then pick an area e.g. Herts, You will then get a list of Schools. From that go to the schools website and look under prices. You will see their rates which includes instructing on owner aircraft. I took a few sample areas and found the rate to average at £60 per hour. Hope this helps.
Regards, P