PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Purple Airways ?

wotsyors
26th Apr 2006, 22:27
Had a conversation today with a retired pilot who casually remarked about not hearing of them for a long time. Neither have l, what happened?
This must be boring guys but please ?

TATC
26th Apr 2006, 22:35
purple airways and purple airspace has been replaced with temporary controlled airspace - but the same basic rule apply as did in purple airspce

wotsyors
26th Apr 2006, 22:56
Thanks TATC l`ll pass it on.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Apr 2006, 10:48
Didn't Purple Airways often have a Rainbow at the end??

QWERTY9
27th Apr 2006, 12:55

Maybe, but those in the purple airway certainley had a pot of gold !

Spitoon
27th Apr 2006, 18:28
Do I hear the sound of something going over QWERTY's head? ;) ;) ;)

mcdhu
27th Apr 2006, 20:21
....or maybe a unicorn?

Cheers,
mcdhu

terrain safe
27th Apr 2006, 20:45
only if being chased by a leopard............

GBALU53
27th Apr 2006, 21:14
Now the Royals have to pay there way instead of the Tax person, do they go by a cheaper option (By a low cost carrier to save them a penny or two)??

With some of the comments made in the past and life at the end of the day the user has to foot the bill in a number of ways.

TATC
28th Apr 2006, 07:52
Isnt Rainbow a Helicopter callsign - no purple airspace for them just Low Level Corridors

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Apr 2006, 08:35
Oh dear... isn't it diabolical when you have to xeplain in great detail what was a humorous comment.

"Rainbow" was the Duke of Edinburgh's callsign for any flight he made. I think I spoke to it more frequently as fixed-wing aircraft rather than a helicopter...

spekesoftly
28th Apr 2006, 08:47
I thought that 'Rainbow' was the D of E's personal call sign - in the days when he was occasionally 'at the controls'. Something he gave up, a long time ago. Likewise his son - although perhaps for slightly more dramatic reasons! ;)

Ah! HD has already replied.

BDiONU
28th Apr 2006, 09:08
"Rainbow" was the Duke of Edinburgh's callsign for any flight he made. I think I spoke to it more frequently as fixed-wing aircraft rather than a helicopter...
And Unicorn was Charlie boy, until he had to sort of give up driving ;-)

BD

chevvron
28th Apr 2006, 09:54
We used to spell Unicorn differently. Rainbow and Sparrowhawk are now Royal Helis c/s with civil operators; Kittyhawk is 32 Sqdn fixed wing Royal.