PDA

View Full Version : Piston Aircraft AND Back-up Systems???

AeroTech
25th Apr 2006, 17:37
Hi,

I have no idea about piston aircraft (single/multi- engines & light/heavy) and its systems. It will be nice if I can get some information regarding this subject especially concerning my questions:

-Are piston aircraft fitted with supercharger, turbocharger, or turbo compound? it will be great if you can mention the types of these devices used in these aircraft and when they are used?

-I would like also an idea about some aircraft systems like: hydraulic & electric system (if they are fitted with generator, battery, magneto, etc) and anti-ice. Is this type of aircraft fitted flight controls (main and secondary) and APU (may be small APU).

-If the engine fails in flight, is there a standby power (electric & hydraulic) to maintain the control of the aircraft. Same question for multi-engines in case of all engines failure? (if it is possible in these engines)

Feedback very appreciated. Thank you.
Best regards.

Oktas8
26th Apr 2006, 06:23
Are piston aircraft fitted with supercharger, turbocharger, or turbo compound? it will be great if you can mention the types of these devices used in these aircraft and when they are used?
Many piston engine aircraft are fitted with turbochargers - Piper Aztec, Apache, Seminole, Seneca to name a few. Cessna 206, 207, and the larger Cessna twins also I think (but someone else will know more about the Cessna aircraft). Superchargers and turbo compound chargers - more commonly fitted to very large piston engine aircraft, but since the end of WW2 very large piston engines have mostly been replaced by gas turbines. Perhaps someone else can give examples of supercharged aircraft still being produced.

I would like also an idea about some aircraft systems like: hydraulic & electric system (if they are fitted with generator, battery, magneto, etc) and anti-ice. Is this type of aircraft fitted flight controls (main and secondary) and APU (may be small APU).
Hydraulics - are used to raise & lower undercarriage in a self contained system on most light aircraft. They may be powered by an engine, or by an electric motor. There will sometimes be a manual pump to raise the gear if the powered system fails. Brakes are also usually hydraulic, but not power assisted in any way. Electrical systems - one ship's battery plus one alternator per engine is the norm. Anti-ice - electric is common for pitot heat, perhaps stall warning heat, perhaps windshield heat, perhaps propeller heat. You may also have pneumatic de-icing for wing leading edges, and you may have chemical de-icing for propellers &/or wings. No modern piston engined aircraft have APU's as far as I know. Again as far as I know all piston engined aircraft have fully manual primary flight controls, and manual or electric flaps and trim systems. No doubt someone can give an example of a modern piston aircraft with hydraulic flaps, but it's not common! (Actually, the Lancair IV has "electro-hydraulic" flaps according to the manufacturer, whatever that means... :) )

If the engine fails in flight, is there a standby power (electric & hydraulic) to maintain the control of the aircraft. Same question for multi-engines in case of all engines failure? (if it is possible in these engines)
All primary controls are fully manual in modern piston engined aircraft (and the smaller turbo prop aircraft too for that matter, but that's off topic.)

I can't help but think that you could learn a lot more by spending two or three hours at your local flying school...

Cheers,
O8

Genghis the Engineer
26th Apr 2006, 09:17
Hi,

-If the engine fails in flight, is there a standby power (electric & hydraulic) to maintain the control of the aircraft.

You really need to go and spend some time at your local flying school. You really are thinking from totally the wrong perspective to understand light piston aeroplanes.

G