PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been or lived in Inuvik?

Bitmonx
24th Apr 2006, 20:52
How is life up there? Going there in about 2 months for 2 years.

Cheers,

Andri

hibypassratio
24th Apr 2006, 21:27
Who are you coming up here with? I've been up here since Sept, 2005 with Borek on rotation. My first "Northern" job. Inuvik, according to my collegues, is rather more civilized than many arctic communities. A typical small town minus a Tim Horton's or Starbuck's, though ratherexpensive.

mckrll
24th Apr 2006, 23:51
I'd guess "cold" would be one way to describe Inuvik - though by all reports it is stunningly beautiful. Pity one has to do without TH or SB...

Andrew

hibypassratio
25th Apr 2006, 01:06
9 months of winterand 3 months of bad snowmobiling.

Keld
25th Apr 2006, 19:57
Well in the summer YEV can hit the +30C's along with the heat, lots of "skeeters" looking for anything warm to feed on....the bars in the finto and the legion are ok...$2 scotch night on Tuesdays is always fun at at the Finto :p

Seems to be lots of construction in the town, with several new hotels going up in the past few years in anticipation of continued oil and gas exploration...:cool:

Canadian Beech
26th Apr 2006, 01:29
Wow...$2 a shot! That's a much better deal than $14 for a gallon of milk. I should have been putting that in my cereal instead:cool: !

jeff748
27th Apr 2006, 04:34
...spent 13 years in Iqaluit.
Inuvik is civilized by comparision. You'll love it. Good folks and great flying. What an experience.
I'm moving to Dubai and have a new parka for sale...:}
Do you know what a "Three Dog Night" is? :E
Have fun and bring your skiiis.
'748

rigpiggy
27th Apr 2006, 18:51
Just remember Son, when it's too low for IFR, You Go VFR

Bitmonx
3rd May 2006, 19:31
Good to hear that there IS milk available, and at $14/gal. I may consider eating my cereal with whisky.....
What about polar bears? Are these big monsters coming into town frequently?
Is most of the stuff available in the grocery store?
How about internet, is it best via satellite?
Exacly how expensive is it to live there?

Jeff, I spent 2 years in Dubai. I think you are going to like it. It does get quite steamy hot there but the winter is beautiful.