PDA

View Full Version : V1

whatdoesthisbuttondo
24th Apr 2006, 12:02
Is V1 the speed at which one must recognise the problem or is it the speed at which you must have started taking action?

Thanks all.

BOAC
24th Apr 2006, 12:26
Tried using 'search'?:mad:

whatdoesthisbuttondo
24th Apr 2006, 13:25
Yes, thank you.

rhovsquared
24th Apr 2006, 14:05
ROTFL LMAO:} :} :} :}

edited to say sorry to offend you not calling anyone dumb it's just that V1 is discussed a great deal iwasn't making fun of YOU per se just laughing at "V1 again" but this issue is hot one and goes on and on and on like a 707 with total brake failure

BOAC
24th Apr 2006, 14:29
ROTFL LMAO - that makes two of us!

WDTBD - The subject has been exhaustively covered over the last few years on PPrune.

OK - to help you, from just one of the 'search' links (March 2005) which would, I would think, answer your question?

I can only assume you are not using 'search' correctly. As someone once said " for all the good these suppositories are doing me, I might as well..................."

Would it also be reasonable to assume that a 'pilot' on 757/767 might just be expected to know the answer?:eek:

The industry defines V1 as the ‘Decision Speed’ (JAR/FAR 25.107), although it assumes that the decision to stop has been taken.
V1 has to be higher than the Engine Failure Speed, Vef (a certification term), the difference between Vef and V1 includes a recognition and reaction time factor. Thus V1 is the speed at which the pilot has taken at the decision to stop and is ready to, and/or is commencing the first actions to stop the aircraft.

Outlook
24th Apr 2006, 15:29
My thought for today…

Stupidity is defined, not by asking a stupid question, but by not asking the question.

Good Manners is defined by having time to answer stupid questions without ridicule.

Genius is defined by having sufficient skills to freely share your knowledge with others.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
24th Apr 2006, 15:30
Thank you for your kind but patronising and sanctimonious response.
Would it also be reasonable to assume that a 'pilot' on 757/767 might just be expected to know the answer?:eek:
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/moon.gif

Gary Lager
24th Apr 2006, 15:45
Yes, thank you.

Thank you for yours.

No one has suggested that WDTBD asked a stupid question; indeed, the question is extremly important and of exceptional significance in large aircraft operations.

But the search function IS really useful and saves a) bandwidth and b) everybody from typing the same old info over and over again.

As BOAC generously points out, the latter of your assumptions is the correct one.

MayorQuimby
25th Apr 2006, 13:19
In fairness to whatdoesthisbuttondo, I believe it has been pointed out before that searches for words under a certain size do not yield any results. Therefore, searching for "v1" yields nothing.

MQ.

BOAC
25th Apr 2006, 13:53
MQ - when faced with a problem (the minimum letter search is, I believe, 4 except for a few selected '3s') it requires a little lateral thinking to solve the problem.

'Vspeeds' gave me 2 pages going back to Nov 2000

'Decision Speeds' 5 pages back to 2002 - not all relevant

JT's excellent 'Sticky' at the top of 'Tech' has quite a few links

Whilst on the 'search' topic, please NB it will produce a maximum of 500 finds (at the moment) so sometimes you need to put a little work into the search phrase.

mutt
25th Apr 2006, 16:19
Is it too much to expect that someone who claims to fly B757/B767's would actually know such information?

Mutt :confused:

Gufo
26th Apr 2006, 16:56

Sounds like he could benefit from some more T/Os and landings within the month :} Ahhhh, long haul guys... ;)